'F' connectors

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gooney, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Gooney

Gooney Funster

After struggling with the stupid fine threaded nuts on the satellite co axial cable, and especially with cold hands, I decided to do something about it. I found some adaptors at Maplins which screw onto the original male F connectors and accept conventional male co-axial cable plugs (£2.69 each). I've screwed one onto the back of my Humax receiver, one onto the dish horn and one onto the fly lead from my satellite finder. I chopped the female F connectors off the cable and fitted male co-ax plugs in their place, now all I need to do is push in the new plugs, dead handy when using the finder, I invariably moved the position of the dish whilst trying to disconnect the finder.:thumb:

2. aba

aba

i got some push fit F adapters from the roadpro stand at knutsford last year just screw the existing F plug on to it then push it on to the connector on the dish and on the van was about 2 quid each.
    don't use a finder. i have one of those maxview compass things gives the general direction then just use the sig strength display on the sat box

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i looked at these adaptors but figured an F plug is fitted for a reason :Doh:

4. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Hi Andy, different means to the same end, doing away with them fiddly little nuts.:thumb:

5. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Thats what I thought till I used them, brilliant in adverse weather or in the dark (after a few reds:Blush:) They really are the bee's knees :thumb::thumb::thumb:

6. pappajohn

got to admit they would be better for me...

bought a new free standing dish with quad LNB and the supplied 'shotgun' cable inner core is about as thick and strong as sewing thread.
    hell of a job getting it back in the LNB after using the finder.

might have to look into it further :thumb:

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Then you've improved it worse.

Not a lot, but you've doubled the number of connections to fail and every connection loses a bit of signal, it's not like AC mains, microwave radio frequency signals are fickle things, just put a sharp bend in the cable will distort the cable and reduce the performance.

All I can say to others is, struggle with the F connectors.

8. JJ

JJ Funster

I have those push on thingies from Roadpro and Jaws has no trouble using them to find the satellite for me...:Rofl1: :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

9. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I don't have a problem with signal strength with my dish Brian and therefore I feel I can afford to lose a little. F connectors are fine when you set up a dish once for permanent location, I have a fingers dexterity problem and with constantly setting up in different locations I think the push fit benefit outweighs any small loss of signal that may occur.:thumb:

10. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

The reason that the f connectors have retaining nuts is so that they can't just pull out.

The reason you don't want them just coming out is because it is important that the cable is only removed from the receiver box when the box is powered off.

This is because the box send power up the coax to the lnb and unplugging the cable from the receiver whilst the lnb is receiving power can damage the lnb.

At least that is what a sky engineer told me :Smile:

Bryan

• Like Like x 1
  11. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

And I am still using the ones that you gave me JJ - Thank you very much :Smile:

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You dont:Doh:
    There not called F ing Conectors for nothing:thumb:
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

After suffering from signal failure on almost every trip out in one form or another.
    I did the opposite and changed all push fit to F type:thumb:
    Not been in a cupboard to make good loose connections since:Cool:

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Fair enough. But being mobile someone might be in Spain and need every dB of signal.

If I had £1 for every one of the old co-ax plugs I've seen fitted badly I'd be able to fill up the MH. Most common fault, not soldering the inner. On present MH it had co-ax plugs ( before I changed aerials and now have F ) I noticed if I wriggled the wires at the amplifier the TV glitched, open up one plug and it was a screw type, with a lose centre clamp screw.

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

why not leave the signal finder in line but just switch it off am I missing something

16. pappajohn

easy solution Roger but no good for me......i connect at the LNB so i can see whats happening when i move the dish.
    leave it connected and it'll be gone in no time.

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

nor me either

With the crank -up I used an audible one inside the RV, it would be whistling all the time ... :Doh:

18. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Also my sat finder is a maxview one and it is definately not weatherproof.
    Getting back to Brians earlier point about loss of signal through extra connections, I tried my new setup today. Previously with clear line of site I was getting 100% Strength and 100% Quality, now I've lost about 5% which leaves plenty in hand.