'F' connectors (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
After struggling with the stupid fine threaded nuts on the satellite co axial cable, and especially with cold hands, I decided to do something about it. I found some adaptors at Maplins which screw onto the original male F connectors and accept conventional male co-axial cable plugs (£2.69 each). I've screwed one onto the back of my Humax receiver, one onto the dish horn and one onto the fly lead from my satellite finder. I chopped the female F connectors off the cable and fitted male co-ax plugs in their place, now all I need to do is push in the new plugs, dead handy when using the finder, I invariably moved the position of the dish whilst trying to disconnect the finder.:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i got some push fit F adapters from the roadpro stand at knutsford last year just screw the existing F plug on to it then push it on to the connector on the dish and on the van was about 2 quid each.
don't use a finder. i have one of those maxview compass things gives the general direction then just use the sig strength display on the sat box

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
i got some push fit F adapters from the roadpro stand at knutsford last year just screw the existing F plug on to it then push it on to the connector on the dish and on the van was about 2 quid each.
don't use a finder. i have one of those maxview compass things gives the general direction then just use the sig strength display on the sat box

Hi Andy, different means to the same end, doing away with them fiddly little nuts.:thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
i looked at these adaptors but figured an F plug is fitted for a reason :Doh:

Thats what I thought till I used them, brilliant in adverse weather or in the dark (after a few reds:Blush:) They really are the bee's knees :thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got to admit they would be better for me...

bought a new free standing dish with quad LNB and the supplied 'shotgun' cable inner core is about as thick and strong as sewing thread.
hell of a job getting it back in the LNB after using the finder.

might have to look into it further :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I chopped the female F connectors off the cable and fitted male co-ax plugs in their place

Then you've improved it worse.

Not a lot, but you've doubled the number of connections to fail and every connection loses a bit of signal, it's not like AC mains, microwave radio frequency signals are fickle things, just put a sharp bend in the cable will distort the cable and reduce the performance.

All I can say to others is, struggle with the F connectors.

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Then you've improved it worse.

Not a lot, but you've doubled the number of connections to fail and every connection loses a bit of signal, it's not like AC mains, microwave radio frequency signals are fickle things, just put a sharp bend in the cable will distort the cable and reduce the performance.

All I can say to others is, struggle with the F connectors.

I don't have a problem with signal strength with my dish Brian and therefore I feel I can afford to lose a little. F connectors are fine when you set up a dish once for permanent location, I have a fingers dexterity problem and with constantly setting up in different locations I think the push fit benefit outweighs any small loss of signal that may occur.:thumb:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
The reason that the f connectors have retaining nuts is so that they can't just pull out.

The reason you don't want them just coming out is because it is important that the cable is only removed from the receiver box when the box is powered off.

This is because the box send power up the coax to the lnb and unplugging the cable from the receiver whilst the lnb is receiving power can damage the lnb.

At least that is what a sky engineer told me :Smile:

Bryan

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I have those push on thingies from Roadpro and Jaws has no trouble using them to find the satellite for me...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

And I am still using the ones that you gave me JJ - Thank you very much :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I don't have a problem with signal strength with my dish Brian and therefore I feel I can afford to lose a little. F connectors are fine when you set up a dish once for permanent location, I have a fingers dexterity problem and with constantly setting up in different locations I think the push fit benefit outweighs any small loss of signal that may occur.:thumb:

You dont:Doh:
There not called F ing Conectors for nothing:thumb:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
After suffering from signal failure on almost every trip out in one form or another.
I did the opposite and changed all push fit to F type:thumb:
Not been in a cupboard to make good loose connections since:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't have a problem with signal strength with my dish Brian and therefore I feel I can afford to lose a little.

Fair enough. But being mobile someone might be in Spain and need every dB of signal.

If I had £1 for every one of the old co-ax plugs I've seen fitted badly I'd be able to fill up the MH. Most common fault, not soldering the inner. On present MH it had co-ax plugs ( before I changed aerials and now have F ) I noticed if I wriggled the wires at the amplifier the TV glitched, open up one plug and it was a screw type, with a lose centre clamp screw.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why not leave the signal finder in line but just switch it off am I missing something

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
easy solution Roger but no good for me......i connect at the LNB so i can see whats happening when i move the dish.
leave it connected and it'll be gone in no time.

Also my sat finder is a maxview one and it is definately not weatherproof.
Getting back to Brians earlier point about loss of signal through extra connections, I tried my new setup today. Previously with clear line of site I was getting 100% Strength and 100% Quality, now I've lost about 5% which leaves plenty in hand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back