Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I want to fit an extra leisure battery ,my existing battery is a 100-110Ah Banner on a 2016 reg van .I know I shouldn't mix old and new but I was hoping to get away with it.
Should I go for the same make as fitted or is there another make that's better value for money as some of reviews I've read on Banner are not very encouraging.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Alpha batteries on the web. You do not need to spend a fortune. link: http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/ Just remember to vent the thing to the outside sealed/low maintenance or otherwise unless its a gel. If you buy one from them order a vent tube cos they dont come with them most of the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Or maybe do nothing, I have recently had issues with not enough volts, we already have 2 batteries and was considering changing them both again (did 4 years ago when we bought this MH)

Just been down to Vanbitz for an alarm and they very kindly looked at my batteries, turns out one of the 2 was failing / virtually failed, which then dragged my one good battery down with it. They removed the duff one we are now back to a single battery

Just had first night in France, so have done quite a few miles which will keep it topped up, but also had Alde on overnight as it was 0C outside, set stat at 16C so that cut in quite a bit overnight

Woke up on grey day definitely no solar input to more volts than we normally have and my laptop had been charged via my little 150W inverter, all looking good so far on one battery (y)(y)

bit to go to be totally convinced, but we are away for 18 nights, 50/50 site / aires so will monitor carefully :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I want to fit an extra leisure battery ,my existing battery is a 100-110Ah Banner on a 2016 reg van .I know I shouldn't mix old and new but I was hoping to get away with it.
Should I go for the same make as fitted or is there another make that's better value for money as some of reviews I've read on Banner are not very encouraging.
As it is less than a year old should be fine fitting another one, I wouldn't get another Banner as myself and other Funsters have found they are rubbish. Go for a Varta or Exide if you want a decent battery.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Also, make sure your battery charger can cope with 220 AH if your fitting 2 X 110 Ah.
Good point(y)
I was going to up grade mine from 1 90AH to 2 110 AH, but I checked my electroblock and it is a max 180 AH, so can only go 2 x 90 AH.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Good point(y)
I was going to up grade mine from 1 90AH to 2 110 AH, but I checked my electroblock and it is a max 180 AH, so can only go 2 x 90 AH.
You are supposed to factor the starter battery into the equation as well 2 x 90 A/H leisure batteries plus a 90AH starter battery is 270A/H but you can allow a bit of leeway as the starter battery charging current is limited to between 2 - 6 amps depending on the model of Electroblock.

Also depends on how you use your system, in theory you would only overload the Elektroblock if all 3 batteries were flat, so under normal use providing you are aware of the limitations there is unlikely to be any problem with 2 x 110A/H leisure batteries. If like me you rarely use EHU and rely on solar as your main charger the load on the Elektroblock is not that relevant.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
And while on the subject,would it not make sense to fit one new larger capacity battery?
Particularly in an older van with limited space,I had thought about a 160 or 180 ah battery to store more power?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You are supposed to factor the starter battery into the equation as well 2 x 90 A/H leisure batteries plus a 90AH starter battery is 270A/H but you can allow a bit of leeway as the starter battery charging current is limited to between 2 - 6 amps depending on the model of Electroblock.
Are you sure that is correct ! On my Autotrail the leisure and cab batteries are never all on charge at the same time. The charger is either charging one set or the other. My manual clearly states maximum capacity of 220 HA charging capacity.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you are worried about overloading the Elektroblock the add-on 18A charger unit which doubles the rating is only £130 and just plugs in.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are you sure that is correct ! On my Autotrail the leisure and cab batteries are never all on charge at the same time. The charger is either charging one set or the other. My manual clearly states maximum capacity of 220 HA charging capacity.
Yes, Schaudt who make Elektroblocks state you must take into account the starter battery when calculating the size of the battery bank. In practice no one ever does.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back