exhaust

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ralph-n-Bev, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Well fortunately we had just driven out of the site we were on in York. :Blush:
    Parked up in a little country lane lay-by to collect some wild poppy seed heads.
    Then set off , when our Motorhome started to sound like a boy racer. :Laughing:
    What a racket.
    You could certainly hear us coming round the tight bendy lanes thats for sure.

Oh well looks like we need a new exhaust now. I guess its the same one thats been on since new so its not that bad. I dont know what the life expectancy is of them.
    Anyone know how much we should be looking at for a new one?
    Thanks.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont know the price but it shouldnt need a full system...only the bit thats blowing.

it may be worth looking at a stainless steel system !

• Like Like x 1
  3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Assuming no-one has pilferred your cat whislt you were distracted, it will more than likely be the back back - well, there is only one box! They range from £80-100 or so and easy to fit. Most places will have them in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  4. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hopefully you wont need a full system. If you had asked, I could have sent you a box full of poppy seed pods. Oh well, if it hadn't been that it would have been something else.
    Jim
    :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. rainbow chasers

You have the stupid system - yes it is prone to failure. £87.

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?CategoryID=114090

The reason I call it stupid is that it is one of those recirculating rubbish that inherently is too poorly secured to the chassis. A comp[lete waste of time.

The older system does fit, and it isn't unheard of to use the older single box system.

I have used online automotive before, and their delivery is very good - I ordered a complete system at 4pm one evening, and it arrived 8,30 the following morning.....forget the bolts, get some locally as their bolts are cheap and nasty!

6. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ralph says we need the whole thing replacing . The middle box was flaking at the last mot and we were advised .
    This is the end of the first pipe off the engine exhaust mount .
    He doesn't think it has a cat.

The stainless steel version sounds like a good bet though , as we plan keep her for a long time and it wouldn't rust as much , would it ?
    ( though a bog standard one has lasted 6 years so it would depend on cost i suppose )

Do you have a link for the stainless ones .
    Thanks

7. rainbow chasers

If you are going to have a stainless one, then get a custom one from somewhere like quicksilver...the quality of stainless has dropped in recent years, like everything....and many are rusting just as quickly as mild steel - just from the inside out! This has been noticed amoungst the classic car owners of late who have started to revert back to steel.

They also cause tone-deafness as stainless exhausts actually ring! (not alot of people know that!)

If you go back to that link, they will have the complete system linked in the side-bar. Unusual for the down pipe to go! Complete steel - £218.66! You may find cheaper on flea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i was also refering to a custom made system rather than an 'off the shelf' jobby. :thumb:

plenty of fabricators out there, just need googling.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Slightly misleading.. stainless steel quality hasn't dropped.. but there are several grades of s/steel.. high grade has more chromium and nickel .. the poor performance of some s/s exhaust systems is no doubt due to using a low grade s/s ..

without going into all the technical detail.. to check if a high or low grade has been used.. test with a magnet... . 400 series are not as corrosion resistant as the 300 series and are magnetic, where the 300 series are non-magnetic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

There's a place in Bradford that makes stainless exhausts.
    Where are you based?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Just off junction 41 , so not too far.