exhaust (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well fortunately we had just driven out of the site we were on in York. :Blush:
Parked up in a little country lane lay-by to collect some wild poppy seed heads.
Then set off , when our Motorhome started to sound like a boy racer. :roflmto:
What a racket.
You could certainly hear us coming round the tight bendy lanes thats for sure.

Oh well looks like we need a new exhaust now. I guess its the same one thats been on since new so its not that bad. I dont know what the life expectancy is of them.
Anyone know how much we should be looking at for a new one?
Thanks.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Assuming no-one has pilferred your cat whislt you were distracted, it will more than likely be the back back - well, there is only one box! They range from £80-100 or so and easy to fit. Most places will have them in stock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hopefully you wont need a full system. If you had asked, I could have sent you a box full of poppy seed pods. Oh well, if it hadn't been that it would have been something else.
Jim
:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You have the stupid system - yes it is prone to failure. £87.

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?CategoryID=114090

The reason I call it stupid is that it is one of those recirculating rubbish that inherently is too poorly secured to the chassis. A comp[lete waste of time.

The older system does fit, and it isn't unheard of to use the older single box system.

I have used online automotive before, and their delivery is very good - I ordered a complete system at 4pm one evening, and it arrived 8,30 the following morning.....forget the bolts, get some locally as their bolts are cheap and nasty!

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph says we need the whole thing replacing . The middle box was flaking at the last mot and we were advised .
This is the end of the first pipe off the engine exhaust mount .
He doesn't think it has a cat.

The stainless steel version sounds like a good bet though , as we plan keep her for a long time and it wouldn't rust as much , would it ?
( though a bog standard one has lasted 6 years so it would depend on cost i suppose )

Do you have a link for the stainless ones .
Thanks

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ralph says we need the whole thing replacing . The middle box was flaking at the last mot and we were advised .

The stainless steel version sounds like a good bet though , as we plan keep her for a long time and it wouldn't rust as much , would it ?
( though a bog standard one has lasted 6 years so it would depend on cost i suppose )

Thanks

If you are going to have a stainless one, then get a custom one from somewhere like quicksilver...the quality of stainless has dropped in recent years, like everything....and many are rusting just as quickly as mild steel - just from the inside out! This has been noticed amoungst the classic car owners of late who have started to revert back to steel.

They also cause tone-deafness as stainless exhausts actually ring! (not alot of people know that!)

If you go back to that link, they will have the complete system linked in the side-bar. Unusual for the down pipe to go! Complete steel - £218.66! You may find cheaper on flea.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you are going to have a stainless one, then get a custom one from somewhere like quicksilver...the quality of stainless has dropped in recent years, like everything....and many are rusting just as quickly as mild steel - just from the inside out! This has been noticed amoungst the classic car owners of late who have started to revert back to steel.

They also cause tone-deafness as stainless exhausts actually ring! (not alot of people know that!)

If you go back to that link, they will have the complete system linked in the side-bar. Unusual for the down pipe to go! Complete steel - £218.66! You may find cheaper on flea.
i was also refering to a custom made system rather than an 'off the shelf' jobby. :thumb:

plenty of fabricators out there, just need googling.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
..[HI]the quality of stainless has dropped in recent years,[/HI] like everything....and many are rusting just as quickly as mild steel - just from the inside out! This has been noticed amoungst the classic car owners of late who have started to revert back to steel.

Slightly misleading.. stainless steel quality hasn't dropped.. but there are several grades of s/steel.. high grade has more chromium and nickel .. the poor performance of some s/s exhaust systems is no doubt due to using a low grade s/s ..

without going into all the technical detail.. to check if a high or low grade has been used.. test with a magnet... . 400 series are not as corrosion resistant as the 300 series and are magnetic, where the 300 series are non-magnetic.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

Thanks

There's a place in Bradford that makes stainless exhausts.
Where are you based?

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just off junction 41 , so not too far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back