European breakdown cover 15 yr old Van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Jez and Lin, May 18, 2016.

1. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

We've just been refused cover with our existing provider ( 2gether ) and are looking for a standalone policy ie: not linked to an insurance policy because that doesn't need renewing until November. It would be for a month in September for France as well as UK cover for the next 12 months.
    The Van is a self build but wouldn't have thought that would matter as the base vehicle ( 2.8 LWB Ducato ) hasn't been altered or adapted in any way.
    Has anyone any suggestions? Reading previous threads Comfort sounds promising!

2. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

ADAC 0049221472747 ask for an english speaker
    Haben Sie ein englischer Sprecher bitte?

Partner + covers a couple for 109€/year. It covers the actual person regardless of what vehicle they are in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Contacted ADAC and whilst very good over the phone I was a little unsure of what I was buying because all the info was in German so decided against it.
    I have bought cover with Driver Guardian http://www.driverguardian.co.uk/1-years-full-european-breakdown-insurance.aspx
    which will insure a vehicle up to 16 years old with less than 150K miles. It cost £85 which includes a £6 supplement as a motorhome. Worth considering but look at the size and weight exclusions too.

4. ****

**** Read Only Funster

This boils my p*** so it does. Had the same problem with my 30 year old motorbike. Its like they are happy to take your money but not want to do the job if something happens so only cover newer motors. Had my 30 year old bike for almost four years and it never broke down once. I ended up going to Germany and Holland with no cover.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

If you are in the caravan club you can join green flag no age limit I believe
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  6. robnchris

robnchris Funster

I`ve had this discussion with a few insurance companies, sorry but your vehicle is 15 years old, yes it`s a low mileage taken to shows and looked after with tender loving care, never broken down, is meticulously maintained, it`s cleaner under the bonnet than most cars in the seating area.
    You won`t cover mine but you will offer cover to someone with a 3 yr old Mondeo that`s never been serviced and looks like a rubbish dump.

This generalistic tick box form filling is just ridiculous.:doh:

7. Highwayman1

Highwayman1 Funster

Don`t have a standalone policy but Safeguard cover up to 20 years old vehicle on insurance policy if you take their cover. A guy ( customer service agent ? ), I spoke to when booking the Tunnel suggested looking at `classic vehicle ` recovery once over 20yo. Not there yet (vehicle wise) but may look around at that if/when needed. Got to agree with robnchris about taking care of our vehicles, I just want recovery if needed, and not a `Pimp my moho ` makeover. :)

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

15 yo van insured with Comfort .. including the European breakdown cover .. (y)

9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I am with Adrian flux £298 with recovery bit expensive but the only company I know that will cover a 30 year old van
    Bill