Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Adrian Flux in Black and White 365 in place of 90 days, 10,000 mi;es. Also was on the phone for ages with them explaining exactly what we intended to do (2 years fulltiming with correspondence address in UK.) No breakdown cover although we are with CCC Aviva for 90 days. We will be "popping" home occasionally to see kids and grandkids.
Thanks for that.............just a few weeks ago they insisted they coud not do it!! maybe all my protestations that other companys could offer it they have now got something in place. Amazing price too. I thought when starting my search I would just ask for full time although we will only be away max 7 months on first trip and 3 on second but companys were qouting nearer £1000. Have a great trip :cheers:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I hope Adrian Flux are going to be able to cope with the number of enquiries they're going to get from full-timers currently paying 2 or 3 times that price for genuine full-time insurance.

Can I ask who the underwriters are, please?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the 90 day repatriation is not for insurance purposes.

depreciation is far higher on a full timers van, as the wear and tear is far higher. motorhomes are designed and built to a price expecting them to be used for holidays. as in weekends and 4 weeks per year. you will soon know that though as the upholstery and mattresses quickly start showing wear and become uncomfortable. hence repairs and maintenance bills will be higher than you expect
cheap insurance is not worth the paper its written on. being under insured is a common mistake though

i got off the phone with adrian flux 4 hours ago getting quotes. near £600 for fully comp insurance without full timer cover, and that with 16+ years ncd. the same with safeguard and comfort. insurance is based mainly on your home address and postcode in the uk

I really dont want to pee on your bonfire though and admire your courage and determination. good luck with your adventure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting budget - thanks for sharing it!

Although you've got a contingency of £500pa for repairs on the van, where does the cost of routine chassis service, habitation service, MOT and road fund licence fit in? I think that adds up to approx £650pa on our van, before any repairs, tyres etc.

Just an observation.

Good luck on your travels in any case.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
N
Adrian Flux in Black and White 365 in place of 90 days, 10,000 mi;es. Also was on the phone for ages with them explaining exactly what we intended to do (2 years fulltiming with correspondence address in UK.) No breakdown cover although we are with CCC Aviva for 90 days. We will be "popping" home occasionally to see kids and grandkids.

That's the thing. A 365 policy and a proper full time policy are completely different things.

I hope you never have to find out what the differences are but personally I wouldn't be taking the risk.

Deleted User
N

That's the thing. A 365 policy and a proper full time policy are completely different things.

I hope you never have to find out what the differences are but personally I wouldn't be taking the risk.

What, the great rule breaker and risk taker that thinks 6m is arbritrary wouldn't take the risk!:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What, the great rule breaker and risk taker that thinks 6m is arbritrary wouldn't take the risk!:)

Why am I a rule breaker or a risk taker? I can think of nothing in my daily life where either would apply (apart from riding motorcycles if you listen to 'er indoors which I don't (y))

I still haven't had my reply from the department of whatever it was regarding the stupid rule so we'll park that until after the 22nd of this month if you don't mind. That's their date not mine by the way.

Telling lies to your insurers is more than enough to invalidate the policy and even I'm not stupid enough to do that.

Deleted User
Why am I a rule breaker or a risk taker? I can think of nothing in my daily life where either would apply (apart from riding motorcycles if you listen to 'er indoors which I don't (y))

I still haven't had my reply from the department of whatever it was regarding the stupid rule so we'll park that until after the 22nd of this month if you don't mind. That's their date not mine by the way.

Telling lies to your insurers is more than enough to invalidate the policy and even I'm not stupid enough to do that.

I remember you castigating me as a follower of rules simply because I am willing to abide by the rules of the CC, whether I agree with those rules is another matter.

According to the CC 6m rule you are constantly taking risks:)

Regarding lying to insurance companies please define full timing!

I do not own bricks and mortar in the UK, I 'live' at my son's for all official purposes ie, income tax, VAT, electoral register etc etc.....have I lied to my insurance company by taking out a 365 day European comprehensive policy.

All insurance policies cover third party risks in the EU at the moment though who knows what will happen when we leave the EU.

mark millergill

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
st austell cornwall
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
20 years
Hi
I have full timed for 2 years and I don't think you can really determine what you are going to spend my first year I spent £11,000 and about £9,000 the second year ' you seem to have a lot put by for campsites / electricity I would go for solar panels and have everything 12 volt tv etcetera go for lpg gas refillable tank or bottles ' you can save a fortune if you wanted to I suppose it depends on your budget
This is what the insurance company told me as long as I have a UK address I was able to travel in my motorhome for 365 days when I asked him again he confirmed this ' it sounds like they have created a loop hole to get the trade .

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I hope you have a decent sum put by for unexpected expenditure. We were due to take a 4 month break earlier this year and after about 6 weeks ended up in a garage for a new engine.

We had to pay for flights home & back plus the cost of a new engine. We also got a puncture whilst in Belgium. All this cost us in the region of €8,500 - definitely an unexpected cost.

Denise

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We live in France and spend in all about 3 or 4 months pottering around France, Spain and Portugal in the MH. Going by our annual costs your overall day to day annual spend is probably not too far out.
One question though, does your travel insurance include 'full' healthcover?
It can be an important item that many folks don't consider and medical costs can be very expensive

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I hope you have a decent sum put by for unexpected expenditure. We were due to take a 4 month break earlier this year and after about 6 weeks ended up in a garage for a new engine.

We had to pay for flights home & back plus the cost of a new engine. We also got a puncture whilst in Belgium. All this cost us in the region of €8,500 - definitely an unexpected cost.

Denise

Blimey, you must have got a very good deal on the new engine then.
We've just had to have a new 2.2 Citroen engine put into our van by our local main dealer and that alone came to just over 10,500€

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing that you need to consider is if you will still be 'eligible' for the EHIC cover - I know you've taken out separate health insurance too, but if you are out of the UK for a certain period you are no longer entitled to use the EHIC I believe and usually health insurance companies insist you have this to offset some of the cost.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depreciation - not necessary to include it as it's not part of your 'living' expenses that you need ready 'cash' for so instead put that aside as a contingency figure and at least double it.

Insurance - If you intend to come back to the UK (ie fly) to see family etc and leave your MH abroad make sure your insurer is happy with this as many won't cover your vehicle if it is left unattended abroad even for one day.

Internet - You might want to take a few '3' sims with you so you have something to fall back on instead/as well as a local sim. If you go for the 12gb ones which lasts for 12 months or 3gb ones which lasts for 3 months (see separate threads about the time restrictions) you might find that these are all you need. The '3' site gives details but they can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searc...rTariff=0to49.99&payGPriceForTariff=50to99.99

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Internet - You might want to take a few '3' sims with you so you have something to fall back on instead/as well as a local sim. If you go for the 12gb ones which lasts for 12 months or 3gb ones which lasts for 3 months (see separate threads about the time restrictions) you might find that these are all you need. The '3' site gives details but they can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searc...rTariff=0to49.99&payGPriceForTariff=50to99.99
I spoke with Three yesterday as I understood the 12 GB data sim cards were valid in Europe for two months. They said no! they were only valid for use in the UK. However, the Three agent said your best option is to take out a monthly contract, he suggested the 15 GB one which would give me 12 GB per month abroad then cancel the contract by giving 30 days notice. This is the best option at present. He went on to say, keep an eye out for flash sales as these were even better.

mark millergill

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
st austell cornwall
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
20 years
If you use a 3 sim abroad it only lasts for 60 days on any of the deals the way to get around this is when not in use turn it of you still only get the 60 days in total but if you haven't had it on for five days you will still have 59 left ' Morocco is not included yet but it could be by next August

mark millergill

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
st austell cornwall
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
20 years
What we have noticed if you move from France in to Spain you get your 60 days again that's on 3 sim only contract

Deleted User
I spoke with Three yesterday as I understood the 12 GB data sim cards were valid in Europe for two months. They said no! they were only valid for use in the UK. However, the Three agent said your best option is to take out a monthly contract, he suggested the 15 GB one which would give me 12 GB per month abroad then cancel the contract by giving 30 days notice. This is the best option at present. He went on to say, keep an eye out for flash sales as these were even better.

I would suggest that the three agent was looking for some commission on the sale of a contract.

The 12 GB sims do work abroad,though I have never tested the 2 month limit.

Nothing wrong with the contract option though.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would suggest that the three agent was looking for some commission on the sale of a contract.

The 12 GB sims do work abroad,though I have never tested the 2 month limit.

Nothing wrong with the contract option though.
I was talking directly with Three and as far as I could see any contracts are completed on line so do not see how this person would make commission. I will check again about the 12 GB data sim working abroad as he seemed adamant that it would not. I'ts all academic anyway as the 15 GB monthly contract is only £20. per month as apposed to the £30 one would pay for the 12 GB 12 monthly data sim.
I'm of the view better deals are on the horizon and prices will drop through the floor over the next 6 months or so.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The agent is talking b@llocks! There is a restriction on how much you can use a data sim abroad for - there are a few threads on the forum which give details of how it works but basically you get 60 days in total for use abroad in feel at home countries, this is done as 2 x 30 day chunks, so if you only use 59 days, only one 30 day chunk is used, so long as you use it BACK IN THE UK this then resets to having a 30 day chunk of FAH use left - if you go over the 60 days abroad without using it in the UK it's gone I'm afraid ... unless it magically resets itself as some have found but this can't be relied upon!

mark millergill

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
st austell cornwall
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
20 years
The agent is talking b@llocks! There is a restriction on how much you can use a data sim abroad for - there are a few threads on the forum which give details of how it works but basically you get 60 days in total for use abroad in feel at home countries, this is done as 2 x 30 day chunks, so if you only use 59 days, only one 30 day chunk is used, so long as you use it BACK IN THE UK this then resets to having a 30 day chunk of FAH use left - if you go over the 60 days abroad without using it in the UK it's gone I'm afraid ... unless it magically resets itself as some have found but this can't be relied upon!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was talking directly with Three and as far as I could see any contracts are completed on line so do not see how this person would make commission. I will check again about the 12 GB data sim working abroad as he seemed adamant that it would not. I'ts all academic anyway as the 15 GB monthly contract is only £20. per month as apposed to the £30 one would pay for the 12 GB 12 monthly data sim.
I'm of the view better deals are on the horizon and prices will drop through the floor over the next 6 months or so.
Sorry but whoever you spoke to does NOT know what he is talking about ... I've got a 12gb data sim and used it abroad for 45 days without any problems at all as part of 'FAH', just as others do.

The monthly contract sim will NOT allow you to have more than 60 days data abroad, regardless of what the 3 numpty is telling you ... read their online terms and the other threads for full info.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It wouldn';t matter to me how many GB a month I bought as I only use it for e-mails and a bit of surfing so the time restriction is the important thing 15GB a month would probably see 14.5 not used!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I will check again about the 12 GB data sim working abroad as he seemed adamant that it would not.

The agent is talking b@llocks!

What Mel said. (y)

I have one that I have only ever used abroad. The MiFi it was bought for is never even switched on when we're in the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It wouldn';t matter to me how many GB a month I bought as I only use it for e-mails and a bit of surfing so the time restriction is the important thing 15GB a month would probably see 14.5 not used!!
In which case get yourself a couple of Three's free data sims which give you 200gb of free data usage pcm ... you do NOT have to put any credit on it to get this. (y)

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

Use your data abroad at no extra cost.
Roaming charges suck. Register to receive 200MB free data each month and use it to get online abroad at no extra cost in our 42 Feel At Home destinations. When you’ve used your 200MB free data (which lasts up to a month), just buy one of our great value data Add-ons to continue fully enjoying Feel At Home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back