Engine battery - will go flat in 13 days non use?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Trevor Pettifer, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Trevor Pettifer

Trevor Pettifer Funster

We had to start our vehicle using jump leads the other day. The dealership say that Hymer state that if the vehicle isn't used for 13 days the battery will go flat. Is this true?

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Ours doesn't, but we don't have a Hymer

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Speve

Speve Funster

Ours doesn't. We have an Exsis with a solar panel on it

4. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

I guess it depends on what current is being drawn from the vehicle battery when it's not in use. Alarms & radios are often an issue - even it it appears that the radio is off it may still be drawing current. Do you have a solar panel to keep your batteries topped up?

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It will eventually just as any battery will.

In 13 days? That sounds to me like they're trying it on for some reason. Maybe there's a problem they're aware of that drains it or the battery is starting to die and they just don't want to fix it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Read Only Funster

As others have said the alarm draws current when the vehicle is parked up and is active. The radio unit on our Rapido is wired through the hab batteries and there is an on off switch on the dash to completely isolate it. The only real solutions are to either have the van on EHU, or take it for a 30 min drive every week. The best option is to have solar panels fitted and have a feed to the engine battery. On ours it is set to 90% hab batteries and 10% to the engine battery during the spring/summer and when the van is in storage over the winter it is set to 60% hab and 40% engine. Never had an issue since the panels were fitted last November with low battery power.

7. nelly

nelly Funster

Our Merc Rapido when flat in 2 weeks. The merc garage fitted a battery cut off switch one of those red key ones but the only real solution is solar ( This was 8 years ago)

Neil

8. Trevor Pettifer

Trevor Pettifer Funster

Thanks for info. We have solar panels which top up two leisure batteries but not the engine battery. I'll look into getting a feed to the engine battery.

9. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Apart from solar powered battery charging, you could simply charge the battery every week until the situation resolves itself

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

No, Hymer manual says do not leave disconnect from the mains for more than 10 days.:)
    I think that information is actually mean to be for the habitation batteries. If you van has an alarm fitted it is best not to leave it without a charge for more than a fortnight. Before I fitted the solar panels I think I left it once for 4 weeks without any problems. Need to check the current drian then you can work out if it you have a highish current drain or a duff battery.

12. sally47

sally47 Funster

I had this problem found it was the radio taking the charge from the battery flick the button as if you would take the front off that stops it then get a battery master problem solved

13. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Until your leisure battery is also flat?

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I think the OP has solar panels so that's unlikely and I've never experienced it in ten years of using panels and a battery master. And that is in Welsh winters :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Solar panels make all the difference:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

Solar or battery master is the way to go. Nothing to do with the make of vehicle it's what drawing the power.

17. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Another vote for solar.
    Mitch.

18. matamoros

matamoros Funster

I would have thought solar and battery master, battery master on it's own will surely only postpone the inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Our solar is linked to Engine and Hab Batteries

20. Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho Funster

I had an Autotrail with an 80w solar panel fitted and had the same problem. When left with the alarm on the vehicle battery would last longer than 2 weeks even in summer. I had a battery mater fitted (as I was told the solar panel only charged the leisure batteries) and the light showed charge going to the vehicle battery but didnt really change the price of fish.

The only way I found to keep the battery charged was to disconnect the neutral lead every time I left the vehicle for longer then 2 weeks. This had the inconvenience that the alarm was not active and the electric locking didnt work so i had to perfect a way of locking the cab doors before disconnecting and then getting out the hab door and locking it with the key. i also had a Fiamma handle/lock securing that door.

Since April I bought a 2015 Burstner Elegance and given my previous experience I have been very wary about leaving it for any length of time. Touch wood to date the batteries have maintained their charge. on this vehicle the solar panel does charge the vehicle battery and I get more meaningful information from the control panel (shows voltage for each battery rather than % which never meant anything).

Both vehicles are based on the Fiat Ducato and both have alarm and tracker fitted. The only possible solutions are 1) the batteries when i got the Autotrail were already knackered (but when i got that vehicle it was only 20 months old) or there was a drain that I wasnt aware of, or this Burstner is more efficient than the Autotrail. I dont know but in you position I would decide if the batteries are good or not and if not replace them but I would also find a way of leaving the vehicle with the battery disconnected if you cant be sure it will hold charge for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

I remain wary of the Burstner because I have not gone through a winter yet, where the sunlight hours really test whether you get a good charge from the solar panel or not.

Good luck I hope you find a viable solution