Engine battery - will go flat in 13 days non use? (1 Viewer)

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
We had to start our vehicle using jump leads the other day. The dealership say that Hymer state that if the vehicle isn't used for 13 days the battery will go flat. Is this true?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours doesn't. We have an Exsis with a solar panel on it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I guess it depends on what current is being drawn from the vehicle battery when it's not in use. Alarms & radios are often an issue - even it it appears that the radio is off it may still be drawing current. Do you have a solar panel to keep your batteries topped up?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It will eventually just as any battery will.

In 13 days? That sounds to me like they're trying it on for some reason. Maybe there's a problem they're aware of that drains it or the battery is starting to die and they just don't want to fix it.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
As others have said the alarm draws current when the vehicle is parked up and is active. The radio unit on our Rapido is wired through the hab batteries and there is an on off switch on the dash to completely isolate it. The only real solutions are to either have the van on EHU, or take it for a 30 min drive every week. The best option is to have solar panels fitted and have a feed to the engine battery. On ours it is set to 90% hab batteries and 10% to the engine battery during the spring/summer and when the van is in storage over the winter it is set to 60% hab and 40% engine. Never had an issue since the panels were fitted last November with low battery power.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Our Merc Rapido when flat in 2 weeks. The merc garage fitted a battery cut off switch one of those red key ones but the only real solution is solar ( This was 8 years ago)

Neil

OP
OP
Trevor Pettifer

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
Thanks for info. We have solar panels which top up two leisure batteries but not the engine battery. I'll look into getting a feed to the engine battery.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Apart from solar powered battery charging, you could simply charge the battery every week until the situation resolves itself

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had to start our vehicle using jump leads the other day. The dealership say that Hymer state that if the vehicle isn't used for 13 days the battery will go flat. Is this true?
No, Hymer manual says do not leave disconnect from the mains for more than 10 days.:)
I think that information is actually mean to be for the habitation batteries. If you van has an alarm fitted it is best not to leave it without a charge for more than a fortnight. Before I fitted the solar panels I think I left it once for 4 weeks without any problems. Need to check the current drian then you can work out if it you have a highish current drain or a duff battery.

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
I had this problem found it was the radio taking the charge from the battery flick the button as if you would take the front off that stops it then get a battery master problem solved

Deleted User
I think the OP has solar panels so that's unlikely and I've never experienced it in ten years of using panels and a battery master. And that is in Welsh winters :)

Solar panels make all the difference:)

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Solar or battery master is the way to go. Nothing to do with the make of vehicle it's what drawing the power.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I had an Autotrail with an 80w solar panel fitted and had the same problem. When left with the alarm on the vehicle battery would last longer than 2 weeks even in summer. I had a battery mater fitted (as I was told the solar panel only charged the leisure batteries) and the light showed charge going to the vehicle battery but didnt really change the price of fish.

The only way I found to keep the battery charged was to disconnect the neutral lead every time I left the vehicle for longer then 2 weeks. This had the inconvenience that the alarm was not active and the electric locking didnt work so i had to perfect a way of locking the cab doors before disconnecting and then getting out the hab door and locking it with the key. i also had a Fiamma handle/lock securing that door.

Since April I bought a 2015 Burstner Elegance and given my previous experience I have been very wary about leaving it for any length of time. Touch wood to date the batteries have maintained their charge. on this vehicle the solar panel does charge the vehicle battery and I get more meaningful information from the control panel (shows voltage for each battery rather than % which never meant anything).

Both vehicles are based on the Fiat Ducato and both have alarm and tracker fitted. The only possible solutions are 1) the batteries when i got the Autotrail were already knackered (but when i got that vehicle it was only 20 months old) or there was a drain that I wasnt aware of, or this Burstner is more efficient than the Autotrail. I dont know but in you position I would decide if the batteries are good or not and if not replace them but I would also find a way of leaving the vehicle with the battery disconnected if you cant be sure it will hold charge for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

I remain wary of the Burstner because I have not gone through a winter yet, where the sunlight hours really test whether you get a good charge from the solar panel or not.

Good luck I hope you find a viable solution

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have mine on hook up at home all the time. Also have battery master so leisure and vehicle battery are always charged. It has stood like this for a couple of months at a time and both batteries are are always ready to go.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I would have thought solar and battery master, battery master on it's own will surely only postpone the inevitable.

My solar regulator can be split between two batteries. I have it set that 80% goes to the four leisure batteries and 20% goes to the engine battery. That covers the constant drain on the engine battery from the alarm and a few other things. Hope this helps.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I think the OP has solar panels so that's unlikely and I've never experienced it in ten years of using panels and a battery master. And that is in Welsh winters :)
The battery master how hard to fit Jim is it sum thing that can be fitted on holiday?
Bill

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The battery master how hard to fit Jim is it sum thing that can be fitted on holiday?
Bill

We had the same problem batteries going flat when left unused, we fitted a solar panel and the same thing kept happening, found out the solar panel was only charging the leisure batteries, after reading about the Battery Master on here we fitted one wired it up inside the Sargent PSU only took a couple of mins.
Never had a flat engine battery again.
The radio in most motorhomes is connected to the habitation batteries not the engine battery.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bill

Its about the size of a box of matches and fitting couldn't be easier.

battery-master.jpg

vanbitz-L.jpg

Last edited:

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
A Battery Master will keep your engine battery topped up. (y)

I'll back that statement up.

We have a 1991 hymer and killed 2 starter betteries before we Sussed out the problem.

Fitted a battery master and no problem since, crank battery always fully charged and no need to keep opening the bonnet to use the isolator we fitted before the battery master.

Worth every penny.

PS. We have a 100w solar panel and 2 110 amp leisure batteries.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
@Jim when were down that way might just drop in and pick one up and spend a night on the c
CL
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back