Electrical techies answer please.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by haganap, Jun 24, 2012.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ok a sort of shared post between andyman and me.

My generator is a Honda eu10. When plugged in to my MH it produces approx 8-10 amps for charging.

When I'm on electric hook up the electric supplied from my house supplies approx 16 amps

So, if my generator produces 240 power, why when I use it on a rally does it only charge at 8-10 amps but real electric does the job at 16 amps (or in andymans case 18amps )

T I A

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I reckon you are a bit optomistic on your power production Paul

your Honda produces 1000watts (around 900watts actually).....1000watt divided by 230volts is just 4.34amps

a 2000watt Honda will produce what you say....8.68amps.

your charger may be producing 8amps at 12v

its all down to the gennies maximum output....in your case 1000watts

mains electric is far, far higher than the 13amps you mention.
    household mains are generally protected by an 80amp fuse at the meter so the combined power used could be 80amps before the fuse blows.

upgrade the house wiring and put in a 150amp fuse and you get 150amps.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

well that educates me for one :BigGrin:In my (simple) thoughts I wrongly thought if you plugged the genny into the van leccy using the H/U point it would give say 20 amps from the onboard 20 amp charger :Smile: obviously (now) it don't - :BigGrin: time for a green machine Haggers :Wink: or run the engine :thumb: :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

16A at 12V is only 192W

10A is 120W obviously.

I wonder if your generator is faulty. You are quite right in expecting the same performance from mains and genny.

5. pappajohn

True Brian, but Pauls talking 10amps @ 230v unless i misunderstand his post and he means the 12v outlet on the genny..
    16amp x 230v = 3680watt...Pauls genny is rated at just 1000watts max hence 4.34amps

the 12v outlet is usually rated at around 8amps...mine is a 2.2kw @230v but just 8amps @12v

6. haganap

Ok you both can't be right , I believe in Papajohn but Andyman believes in Brians explanation. What I can say is there is nothing wrong with my Genny

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I think you have, but then I've enjoyed a little wine tonight.

8. haganap

But my charger is 18amp therefore when my Genny runs why is it not producing 18amps like andyman believes , m Genny makes 240v electric right ?

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The maximum output of your 1K genny is 1K which divided by 230 volts is as said not much more than 4 amps

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

Right Paul.....turn on all yer lights, the pump and anything else 12v powered until your battery is totally dead.

the plug in the genny......it will charge the batteries at 18amps...for a while.

your charger will only bang in as much power as the batteries need...the better the charge state the less amps needed to top up.
    as the battery voltage rises, the charging amps drop.

mine is a 45amp charger but never produces much more than a few amps, as the 170w solar panel keeps the batteries pretty much topped up most of the time.....the charger then has nowt to do but twiddle its thumbs.

11. haganap

Again you can't both be right, or i misunderstand . John I have done as you say, I promise you that my Genny produces less amps than my house electric, is it the output of the Genny as was my suggestion to Andy or something else?

12. haganap

What your saying is what Andy was saying but I know it don't work like that, no need for a green machine with my 50 amp charger :Wink:

13. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Assumption - we're talking about a 1 KVa gennie plugged into the EHU point of the motorhome, and delivering 230V AC.
    What is the maximum input demanded by the onboard charger? In the case of my Electrobloc it's 1.7 amps to produce a maximum charging current of 18 amps DC. 1.7 amps divided into 230V = 135W which the EU10i is more than capable of delivering, in fact the rated maximum output current is stated as 3.9 amps.
    Assuming the charger on your Bessie is of a similar spec., there should be no problem.

The only answer to the conundrum that occurs to me is to ask what is the state of discharge of the leisure batteries? You will only see 18 amps charging current if they are quite well discharged, otherwise, the system will reduce the charging current accordingly. It's the same with the solar panel. If the batteries are low, than in full sun I can see 5-7 amps going in on a bright day. If I wake up long after the sun, the input can be down to 1-2 amps as the batteries are nearly full by then.

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Paul I only have a 22 amp charger and 1 110 amp hr battery -no solar,no genny and never ran out of power :BigGrin:I have also never checked what the batt charger is giving out :thumb:Simply plug in and forget :thumb:I will look/worry at things when something goes wrong :Smile:
    BTW liking this post as said in my simple mind /like Andy but I can also see the 4/5 amp point that could make sense-- I will have to ask my mate Paul to explain it to me :Rofl1:I can hear is answer now WHY do I want to know or mess, everything is working so don't touch it :Doh::Sad:
    terry

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I can only think that your generator isn't sensing enough demand to run at its maximum output? It should be reving it's nuts off :Laughing:

16. haganap

Well terry on the face of it it does seem simple but it's not

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

Of course it does Paul...the max output of your genny is just 1 kilowatt...which at 230v is 4.34amps.
    you cant have more amps than the machine can produce.

your charger on the other hand can.....the lower the output volts the higher the amps (for the same watts.)

my onboard genny is a 5500watts @ 120volts....thats 45amps.
    it also produces 230v via the transformer...5500watts @230volts....thats just 24amps from the same machine.

same watts/higher volts/lower amps.

18. bungle.bear

bungle.bear Read Only Funster

Well, I think there is a lot confusion over this post,

Some poeple are talking about 18amps of battery charger current and some poeple are talking about 4.3 amps of generator current. but they are not the same because 1 is 12V DC and 1 is 230V AC.

The only way to compare them is to convert both to power measured in watts.

So we will start with the battery charger,
    If it is a 18amp charger (maximum) this is multiplyed by the voltage and equals power in watts.

So 18amp X 12volts = 216watts.

The 18amps charging will drop as the battery becomes charged. I suspect when you run your generator the battery may have been coming up to fully charged.

The generator is rated at 1000W or 1kW peak power, so if you divide watts by voltage then you will equal current.

So 1000w / 230V = 4.34amps.

So you can see using power that if your battery charger was working flat out (18A @12V =216W) this would only be around 1/5th of the total power your generator can produce.

This means that there should be no difference in charging between your generator than a electric hook up. the only reason you would see different charge current (amp) is that the battery is at different states of charge.

Regards Anthony

• Like Like x 2
  19. pappajohn

Thank you.....my point exactly, as previously posted. :thumb:

20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Hi Paul, just sell the Honda as Nikki asks! Your Sterling will take up the slack!

The girl needs clothes and shoes!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1