Electric Hook up

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by k12pfc, Sep 28, 2009.

1. k12pfc

k12pfc Deleted User

What can i safely run (together) from a conventional hook up on a camp site/ ie kettle, fridge and toaster? I have these three plus a laptop, speakers, light and most importantly a fan heater, what combination is it safe to run with out cooking my electrics, what combo is dangerous? also I have tripped out my electrics once then found my hook up had melted the plastic. sorted this now but don't want it happening again.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That is one scary list.

All you have to do is look on the units, get the kW rating and add them up.

Some campsites are 6A so 6 x 230 = 1380W or 1.4kW. Now that is nothing like kettle OR toaster OR heater. So P_O_P.

UK sockets ( at home ) 13A = 3kW - that could be kettle OR heater but NOT both.

Continental, campsites maybe 16A = 3.7kW. Not much better than UK.

Whatever, your list is not going to work.

3. camper69

camper69 Read Only Funster

Why did the hookup cable melt ? They are normally rated at 16 amps. So was it not rated high enough or is the circuit breaker at the main switch rated too high. Or both.

Another thought is did you leave the hook up cable coiled up, round a drum say, as they should always be used uncoiled to allow any heat to disapate.

Derek

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. Andy 01424

Andy 01424 Read Only Funster

Coiled cable acts same way as a heating elemnet:Sad: sounds like the trip did not trip also if you had that lot plugged in :Rofl1: on statics if you tried running a kettle and a hairdryer at same time they tripped,annoying most happened while other half was making a drink drying there hair at same time as muggins was in shower 9 times out of 10 while shampooing hair,and guess what muggins was one who had to go outside in winter to reset the trip,shampoo in hair and a towel rain or wind:Angry:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you sure brian?

most uk campsites will be 16 or 10amp. some may be lower but not many.

most euro sites will be 10 or 6amp...or even less.

as far as i know no-one makes a 13amp mcb .

and yes, the only way to know is add up all the appliance watts then divide by 230 to give amps.

then use any combination of appliances up to the max site amps but dont forget to add the onboard charger and fridge to the list.

overheated cable sounds like a faulty overload trip breaker at the hookup post.

i have one of these in the house and scotjimland uses one in his RV.

monitors power useage and cost in real time.

OWL power monitor

6. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Electrics

Hi, can you not use your fridge and boil the water with gas? It might help reduce.
    As for the heating, we used to have the gas rings on really low.
    (this was in the days when the light were gas as well:Rofl1: :Rofl1::Rofl1:)

How about moussing your hair and letting it dry naturally? :Cool:

S.

7. pappajohn

you could.....but the price you pay site electric you want to use all you can.:Eek!:
    no point in paying twice....gas and leccy.

8. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We have often used an electric kettle (small one from camping shop), 1kw fan heater and fridge at the same time when on hookup. This applies to all hook up sites we have used in winter. Most recently at a CL near Buxton last week. Never had a trip yet. Our lights tele and such are 12v so don't affect the usage except the built in battery charger. All this in UK don't know about abroad. We always lay out the hook up cable never leave it coiled.:thumb:

9. pappajohn

ask any funsters at the dirty duck meet over the new year how easy it is to trip the juice.
    not the individual posts but the main breaker in the power house feeding the whole site.

we even managed to blow one of the leccy companies 3 main 60a incoming fuses...twice!!!!! (it should have been a 100a unit)
    that put the pub kitchens out of action:Eeek:

i dont think we'de ever be welcome back to that site.:RollEyes::BigGrin:
    not that we'de ever go back:Angry:

10. Munchie

Most sites in the UK certainly CC and CCC sites and all the CL's CS's we have used have been 16amp. We run our static on a 16amp ring. Everything runs on mains. Kettle, fridge, freezer, tele, lights, slow cooker, Remoska and computers. 16amp is a LOT of power. :Smile: The only thing we could not run would be an electric cooker :Eeek: That's why statics don't have them. :Rofl1:

11. k12pfc

k12pfc Deleted User

There does seem to be lots of different opinions and experiences here so I am still confused, 16 amp is a lot of power and that is what I was lead to believe we had at our disposal, going away this weekend and will at times be running my heater, laptop and fridge at the same time but that will be the most at once, I will let you know if it goes well. I have checked all connections and replaced a couple that looked a bit burnt.

12. pappajohn

ring main should be 32amp rcd/mcb Ken.

radial circuit will be 16amp rcd/mcb

cooker should be 32amp mcb

main switch/rcd should be 64amp.

all the above identical to a house.

so quite capable of running a cooker.

unless your metered its probably the site owner who decided its going to be 16amp.

13. Munchie

Yep each static is metered John I think you will find most static sites have 16amp available to each unit. Site owner will soon be doing site up and considered uprating to 32amp but he claims is too expensive. Not a problem to us we run all we need and as you say it's like a house, we live in it. :thumb:

14. pappajohn

:thumb:

many years since we did any site work, then it was on hookup posts..

i suppose if the sites underground supply cable isnt big enough then 16a it is and yes...very expensive to start trenching and laying bigger armoured cables throughout the site.

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The deep joy of forums.

16A is NOT a lot of power. One decent kettle takes 13A. So does a fan heater on full. End of story.

I carry a fan heater with a low setting I've measured at 5A, just enough heat to stay alive and not trip a low amperage site. We have only a gas kettle.

16. pappajohn

very true Brian......thats why a house will have a minimum 64amp main switch.
    larger houses can have an 80amp switch.

17. Munchie

Have to say I'm confused, if 16amp is so little how do I run a static on it? I don't turn one thing off to boil a kettle we run all the usuall electrics as you would in a house. One person on site at least has two freezers as well as the usualls, tel,kettle,lights,computers slow cookers and the like and it is very rare there is a trip usually caused y faulty equiptment. I am not saying which view is right or wrong but I am speaking from experience. :Smile:

18. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Strictly speaking you could run 20 x 2k kettles Brian

Albeit one at a time:Rofl1:ulles you can create energy ummm

19. pappajohn

at this very moment in time i'm in my kitchen with 2 lappies running, a 15"tv, freeview box, fridge, freezer (maybe not working at the mo)and 10 X 20w downlighters and my owl says im using 0.692kw. ......4.18amps.

20. gail2405

gail2405 Deleted User

Hi There,
    My static is all electric. Have Mains Cooker, Micro, Fridge, Water Heater, Electric shower. Also use 2 panel room heaters, + Fan heater, besides TV, washing machine,Tumble dryer and chest freezer. I also use electric steamer for cooking as well as many other kitchen gadgets. The only time I have tripped out the electrics was when I tried to use the tumble dryer at the same time as the washing machine.
    I have used quite a considerable number of items in a tourer and found the only thing that would trip out my electrics was a small baby belling.
    What you have to consider is what you are using at the same time. Would you be on the computer whilst making a cuppa, toast and whilst watching tv with the heater and fan on.:Doh: