Electric Hook Up explained

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by robertjhorner, Jun 29, 2010.

1. robertjhorner

robertjhorner Read Only Funster

Hi All
    Dead easy question - and there's probably a post or sticky all about this somewhere.

Just looking for some basic info and advice on the different hook-up options
    I'm going to a site in France in August and you can book 4 different electric connection options, ranging in price of course.
    I will only be running my fridge, and probably my iPod - nothing else.

Is there a table somewhere that suggested what level of Ampage you wuld need dependent on what amount of power you intend to draw?

Camping Du Letty, Bénodet :

Connection to mains (1 amp.)
    Connection to mains (2 amp.)
    Connection to mains (5 amp.)
    Connection to mains (10 amp.)

Cheers, Rob

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi Rob,

As a rough rule of thumb Current in Amps =Power drawn divided by Voltage....

You need to allow for startup surge if the fridge is a compressor one....Most RV/Motorhome fridges aren't.

Try Here.....http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

Steve

3. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Hi Rob,
    As Steve said. If you multiply the amps by the voltage this will give you the theoretical power you can draw
    1amp x 230volts = 230watts
    2amps x 230volts = 260watts

Your fridge, if it's one of the usual small, under the counter types of absorbtion fridge (Dometic / Thetford) will run probably at about 150 - 200 watts.
    All your other stuff will be running off the twelve volt, so your battery charger will be operating and I have no idea how much power that needs. (Don't forget that if you run the vehicle radio and alarms that that will run of the vehicle battery which will probably also be charged).
    Whatever else you plug into the mains socket will need to be added into the sum. Electric water heater and central heating (if you have it) can be anything from 1000w to 2000w. Kettle, anything from 500w to 3000w. And so on.

Add all the watts up, add ten percent for safety margin and divide by the volts. The number that is left is something less than the level of hook-up you will need.

Hope it helps

John

4. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Standard fridge = 0.5 amps
    Battery Charger = 0.4 amp
    I Pod = ? (I would have thought insignificant).

Don