LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have full air suspension, gives a great stable drive better ride comfort and the stability in cross winds and overtaking artics is unbelievable. With the air we can get level 90 - 95% of the time.

Also has the advantage we don't loose that lovely rocking sensation in the wind.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The reason you deflate is so that it does not interfere with levelling and twist the chassis

You don't have to do it, however, by doing it the hydraulic legs don’t have to extend so far and the levelled van will be lower than it otherwise might be.
I understand this, my experience is full Air systems by VP along with E+P levelling,having the gauges mentioned is new to me and there lies the confusion on my part.
Apologies to @symonnsj for any confusion

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I understand this, my experience is full Air systems by VP along with E+P levelling,having the gauges mentioned is new to me and there lies the confusion on my part.
You have been spoilt having the fully integrated VB and E&P, if you don't you sometimes have to drop some air manually, we have had both and fully integrated is way easier ;)

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
No apology needed (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I am a little unclear as to why you find the need to do this? The system is set up to adjust via the remote or fixed actuator that you can do any adjustment from without the need to delate the Airbags, the adjustment is through the hydraulic legs.
I was advised by Sap at doncaster to always deflate the rear air bags before engaging the Leveling... this was so your start point is lower and the van would need to raise less to become level - if that makes sense

Sorry just read the rest of the thread - point already mentioned

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We had A&E leisure do our AL-KO HY4 system two weeks ago a great service provided they are now the same company as E&P and roughly same price £6495 without weighing system 😊
I dropped mine off this morning at A & E for 2 year service for my E & P system. James was saying that AL-KO have bought E&P out as they come from Europe and are very successful over there but couldn’t break into UK market as E&P installers were tied to them. That means they can fit either now and he said if you flipped a coin you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Nov 6, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C A class
Exp
Im a Newbie
I was advised by Sap at doncaster to always deflate the rear air bags before engaging the Leveling... this was so your start point is lower and the van would need to raise less to become level - if that makes sense

Sorry just read the rest of the thread - point already mentioned
I was told exactly the same as well by SAP.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I dropped mine off this morning at A & E for 2 year service for my E & P system. James was saying that AL-KO have bought E&P out as they come from Europe and are very successful over there but couldn’t break into UK market as E&P installers were tied to them. That means they can fit either now and he said if you flipped a coin you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
Personally I think the AL-KO are a lot smoother in operation we had E&P on a previous van and they were a bit lumpy at times although I would have had them again however I like the concept of the HY4 system😊

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
I think that is only is you have full air suspension - we only have rear air bags. Maybe i'm wrong so would be interested to hear your thoughts as Rosmia, who fitted the E&P, explained that it only works in that way with full air...
We have both systems on our van - i.e., VB full air suspension and the E&P jacks and they can work in concert or individually. In concert you hit the automatic button and it just does it for you. In jack-mode you do it ''manually'' by pressing the buttons yourself to deploy the jacks to get you level (there is a screen which shows you which way to jack). Mainly we just use the jacks, but sometimes, if the angle is too great before you can get level (i.e., jacks fully scoped out, but you're still not level) then one press of the automatic button (''concert mode'') deflates the bags first, which gets you much closer to the ground, thus giving your jacks more range to get you level. It's great. No more swinging doors, no more rocking in the wind, no more frying pan oil and sink water all over to one side, no more problems draining sink and shower, etc, etc. Yes, it's a dear do, but once you have them you can't imagine not having them. Well, in our opinion.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
VB full air suspension and the E&P jacks and they can work in concert or individually
Unfortunately not all systems are compatible we have Goldschmitt full air which is not compatible and as I said earlier you are advised with full air to lower to lowest setting and lock the system before using Jacking system as obviously as Goldschmitt can be used as levelling system it could cause problems if not locked out by twisting the chassis🤔

Jul 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Burford
Exp
since 2016
After 18 months + of deliberation we decided to have the E & P self levelling system fitted to our 2011 Hymer B544 and I have to say our only regret is not having it fitted sooner. Given the fact our motorhome is 13 years old it was a big decision but we love the layout so much we decided to take the plunge as we intend to keep it for the foreseeable future.
I realise the system is VERY expensive but as we use our motorhome regularly it has been worth every penny so far (it was fitted 3 weeks ago) and absolutely no regrets at the expense. It has transformed the comfort in our motorhome because it no longer moves every time we do and it hardly moved with the 50+mph gusts we experienced last night. The self levelling works great although sometimes we do have to deflate the rear air bag suspension set up which is no big deal as we have the pump etc in the cab to reinflate when we move off again.
I know there have been lots of threads on this subject but I would recommend the installation of the E&P system to anyone who uses their motorhome on a regular basis. We had ours fitted at Rosmia, Haywards Heath, West Sussex - they were very efficient and relatively local to us so easy to return should we encounter any issues - I would also be very happy to recommend them.

After 18 months + of deliberation we decided to have the E & P self levelling system fitted to our 2011 Hymer B544 and I have to say our only regret is not having it fitted sooner. Given the fact our motorhome is 13 years old it was a big decision but we love the layout so much we decided to take the plunge as we intend to keep it for the foreseeable future.
I realise the system is VERY expensive but as we use our motorhome regularly it has been worth every penny so far (it was fitted 3 weeks ago) and absolutely no regrets at the expense. It has transformed the comfort in our motorhome because it no longer moves every time we do and it hardly moved with the 50+mph gusts we experienced last night. The self levelling works great although sometimes we do have to deflate the rear air bag suspension set up which is no big deal as we have the pump etc in the cab to reinflate when we move off again.
I know there have been lots of threads on this subject but I would recommend the installation of the E&P system to anyone who uses their motorhome on a regular basis. We had ours fitted at Rosmia, Haywards Heath, West Sussex - they were very efficient and relatively local to us so easy to return should we encounter any issues - I would also be very happy to recommend them.
Hi Simon, We have the same, also fitted by Rosmia. They are a great addition, no more mucking around levelling or rocking. Rosmia were very good with advice etc. as are E & P ( Lorna ) with technical queries.

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Hi Simon, We have the same, also fitted by Rosmia. They are a great addition, no more mucking around levelling or rocking. Rosmia were very good with advice etc. as are E & P ( Lorna ) with technical queries.
Totally agree Brian - we did a lot of research before taking the plunge and glad we went ahead as it works well for us.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
It works even better with their full air suspension.

Jan 17, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Phoenix 8800
Exp
Since 2004
We had E&P and VB systems fitted from new, based on our experience with a previous van. There are occasions when a "level" pitch has turned out to be anything but, and controlling the air suspension on the remote control pad to level the van as much as possible before operating the jacks works well. I don't like to see the hydraulic rams fully extended so we place 3 inch thick wooden blocks beneath the pads to reduce the extension when that looks likely. Otherwise, we let the system operate automatically with one press of a button so that the air suspension lowers before the jacks operate. It might be an expensive option but we wouldn't be without it. The all round air suspension improves the ride compared with conventional springs and reduces road noise levels.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The rear rams are positioned behind the rear axle and when parking with the rear overhang over the curb there is a possibility of striking the ram against a high curb and there is no protection to prevent this.

Has anyone experienced these issues?
Not had an issue with that....but whenever we're parking overhanging a verge or curb one of us always checks for clearance anyway.

We had ours fitted by Rosmia back in February.....and I absolutely love them. Its not so much the front-to-back levelling (that was fairly to easy to get level enough on ramps) but side-to-side or diagonal levelling is now much much better. In the past I was never one for being absolutely level, but now we've had the levellers I wouldn't go back - being able to cook without everything sliding to one side of the pan, or rummage around in the fridge without the door swinging shut on you is fab.

We have had a few minor niggles with them though: on one trip the remote lost the wireless connection and wouldn't re-pair, which meant we had to use it in the cradle (quite awkward due to where its fitted). Then on another trip the remote would only work out of the cradle, and if you put it back into the cradle whilst the legs were retracting they stopped moving. Also occasionally the handset is just unresponsive....have to power cycle the ignition a few times and then it comes back to life. This reminds me that I haven't yet contacted Rosmia about them....its on my to-do list, but we don't have any annual leave left this year to take it down to them to have a look at it.

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
We have full air suspension, gives a great stable drive better ride comfort and the stability in cross winds and overtaking artics is unbelievable. With the air we can get level 90 - 95% of the time.

Also has the advantage we don't loose that lovely rocking sensation in the wind.

Which air suspension system do you have, and how much levelling does that give you? I'd not thought about that approach. (and is it any cheaper?)

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Had E&P fitted when we bought a new van in 2020. Fitted at SAP in Doncaster, idea being we hope to keep this van and hopefully get our moneys worth, being Yorkshire folk (it’s not cheap).
Love the system and it’s great to always get level wherever we go. Not without issues. Had a faulty strut replaced under warranty, it was dropping slowly when vehicle parked up. Whilst on Isle of Skye control unit totally froze with system part activated, again replaced under warranty.
Doesn’t take much of a slope so that the system won’t activate automatically and has to be done manually via the control panel.
Regularly spray the supports with a silicone spray when extended as per advice given at SAP. Supposedly maintenance free but ideally get it checked every 3/5 years.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
For info. Al-Ko bought E&P in 2018

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
I still don't get it. £6500 to stop a little movement when you move around. Or maybe older motorhomes move more as the suspension wears??. Mine really does not move much that I notice. I'm really wouldn't think it worth it to save a couple of minutes with levelling ramps either. But, hey ho - just my opinion.
Sometimes it's not just a couple of minutes with levelling ramps, can be a lot longer back & forth, but it is only 30 Secs with E&P

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Had E&P fitted when we bought a new van in 2020. Fitted at SAP in Doncaster, idea being we hope to keep this van and hopefully get our moneys worth, being Yorkshire folk (it’s not cheap).
Love the system and it’s great to always get level wherever we go. Not without issues. Had a faulty strut replaced under warranty, it was dropping slowly when vehicle parked up. Whilst on Isle of Skye control unit totally froze with system part activated, again replaced under warranty.
Doesn’t take much of a slope so that the system won’t activate automatically and has to be done manually via the control panel.
Regularly spray the supports with a silicone spray when extended as per advice given at SAP. Supposedly maintenance free but ideally get it checked every 3/5 years.
As you say it doesn't take too much of a slope for the system not to auto level!

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
As you say it doesn't take too much of a slope for the system not to auto level!
You will find that the auto level has the feet well planted before levelling. Use the remote from outside and it's noticeable. Using manual you can extend the angles significantly.
I experimented in a flat open space carpark (not near a wall). Big surprise to observe what is achievable.
Those with concerns for using fully extended rams may realise that they are operating well within the system scope.
My comments apply to the E&P level M
fitted to 3.5t vehicle 6.4m length. So bottom end of weight scale and not a lot of rear end hangover (so to speak).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back