E & P Self Levelling (1 Viewer)

Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
After 18 months + of deliberation we decided to have the E & P self levelling system fitted to our 2011 Hymer B544 and I have to say our only regret is not having it fitted sooner. Given the fact our motorhome is 13 years old it was a big decision but we love the layout so much we decided to take the plunge as we intend to keep it for the foreseeable future.
I realise the system is VERY expensive but as we use our motorhome regularly it has been worth every penny so far (it was fitted 3 weeks ago) and absolutely no regrets at the expense. It has transformed the comfort in our motorhome because it no longer moves every time we do and it hardly moved with the 50+mph gusts we experienced last night. The self levelling works great although sometimes we do have to deflate the rear air bag suspension set up which is no big deal as we have the pump etc in the cab to reinflate when we move off again.
I know there have been lots of threads on this subject but I would recommend the installation of the E&P system to anyone who uses their motorhome on a regular basis. We had ours fitted at Rosmia, Haywards Heath, West Sussex - they were very efficient and relatively local to us so easy to return should we encounter any issues - I would also be very happy to recommend them.

Nov 14, 2022
Bracknell Forest, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van TI Plus
Hi Simon, we have just placed an order with Rosmia to have our E&P levellers installed on our Knaus Van Ti, the brackets for our MoHo have only just become available so rather jealous of you that you have yoursšŸ˜‹.

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Hi Simon, we have just placed an order with Rosmia to have our E&P levellers installed on our Knaus Van Ti, the brackets for our MoHo have only just become available so rather jealous of you that you have yoursšŸ˜‹.
You won't regret it - we are so pleased we bit the bullet! Hope the install goes well, we found Ryan and his team straight forward to deal with.

Best of luck (y)

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
After 18 months + of deliberation we decided to have the E & P self levelling system fitted to our 2011 Hymer B544 and I have to say our only regret is not having it fitted sooner. Given the fact our motorhome is 13 years old it was a big decision but we love the layout so much we decided to take the plunge as we intend to keep it for the foreseeable future.
I realise the system is VERY expensive but as we use our motorhome regularly it has been worth every penny so far (it was fitted 3 weeks ago) and absolutely no regrets at the expense. It has transformed the comfort in our motorhome because it no longer moves every time we do and it hardly moved with the 50+mph gusts we experienced last night. The self levelling works great although sometimes we do have to deflate the rear air bag suspension set up which is no big deal as we have the pump etc in the cab to reinflate when we move off again.
I know there have been lots of threads on this subject but I would recommend the installation of the E&P system to anyone who uses their motorhome on a regular basis. We had ours fitted at Rosmia, Haywards Heath, West Sussex - they were very efficient and relatively local to us so easy to return should we encounter any issues - I would also be very happy to recommend them.
So that system is static levelling?

Any clues on price ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We have the same and we love it, very expensive but worth it. Mr Gina M said it was too much money and he didn't want it so I paid for it with some money I inherited and he agreed what a very good idea:ROFLMAO:

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Recommend A&E Leisure in Northwich.
I had mine fitted after picking up new Fiat Ducato based campervan. Long way from home but they are on the high rated fitters by E&P themselves. My cost was Ā£6k supplied and fitted. This was just gone a year ago and still very pleased.
There is no servicing required, but A&E recommended a check over prior to warranty expiry (2 years).
Further on cost, the price was a common figure for the system fitted from E&P and others.
Mine is completely fitted underneath with water, waste and gas tank. Only wired into cabin for remote station. Very good neat job.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had A&E leisure do our AL-KO HY4 system two weeks ago a great service provided they are now the same company as E&P and roughly same price Ā£6495 without weighing system šŸ˜Š

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Recommend A&E Leisure in Northwich.
I had mine fitted after picking up new Fiat Ducato based campervan. Long way from home but they are on the high rated fitters by E&P themselves. My cost was Ā£6k supplied and fitted. This was just gone a year ago and still very pleased.
There is no servicing required, but A&E recommended a check over prior to warranty expiry (2 years).
Further on cost, the price was a common figure for the system fitted from E&P and others.
Mine is completely fitted underneath with water, waste and gas tank. Only wired into cabin for remote station. Very good neat job.
Yes we had ours done there. Good company if you're in the north. I think we paid Ā£5k 2 years ago. Probably gone up like everything else in the last year or so. Also worth noting that you can transfer them to another van if you change vans for which you'd only have to pay the labour cost.

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
So that system is static levelling?

Any clues on price ?
It wasn't cheap at Ā£6500 - it has gone up from Ā£6k in the last 6 months...typical! And yes it is static self levelling which is great but the main thing for us is the fact the motorhome is rock solid when we move around and that has made such a difference in itself.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We had E&P on a previous van and loved it and we are considering having it installed on our new van.

I do have a couple of concerns with hydraulic self leveling...

There were reports of leveling rams leaking pressure and dropping uncomanded whilst travelling and although this issue may be resolved there is no interlock to prevent this happening.

The rear rams are positioned behind the rear axle and when parking with the rear overhang over the curb there is a possibility of striking the ram against a high curb and there is no protection to prevent this.

Has anyone experienced these issues?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I still don't get it. Ā£6500 to stop a little movement when you move around. Or maybe older motorhomes move more as the suspension wears??. Mine really does not move much that I notice. I'm really wouldn't think it worth it to save a couple of minutes with levelling ramps either. But, hey ho - just my opinion.

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
I still don't get it. Ā£6500 to stop a little movement when you move around. Or maybe older motorhomes move more as the suspension wears??. Mine really does not move much that I notice. I'm really wouldn't think it worth it to save a couple of minutes with levelling ramps either. But, hey ho - just my opinion.
Fair points and exactly what how we felt especially as out MH is 12 years old now but we use it very regularly so for us it is worth it but don't think we would have gone ahead if we only used it for 4 to 6 weeks per year.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We have EP on our coachbuilt, no problems, no oil leaks. I always carry a small aerosol silicone spray which I occasionally give each of the legs a quick squirt before retracting.

With the exception of the base station for the remote, everything is fitted under the van.

I also carry a set of 5cm thick nylon thingys that I place under the rubber feet if weā€™re on quite uneven ground rather than fully extending the rams. Iā€™m sure the rams are more than capable of taking the weight and imposed loads when fully extended. But rather than risk an issue, I use the thingys. Peace of mind.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Paid 5k for mine 6 years ago on our tag axle, would not be without it even though we don't use the motorhome that much as still working. The cost seems to of gone up a fair bit though but i would still have it done as its all about convenience and never going back to those blinking levelling blocks.
If it was about cost we wouldn't even own a motorhome

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The self levelling works great although sometimes we do have to deflate the rear air bag suspension set up which is no big deal as we have the pump etc in the cab to reinflate
I am a little unclear as to why you find the need to do this? The system is set up to adjust via the remote or fixed actuator that you can do any adjustment from without the need to delate the Airbags, the adjustment is through the hydraulic legs.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I do have a couple of concerns with hydraulic self leveling...

There were reports of leveling rams leaking pressure and dropping uncomanded whilst travelling and although this issue may be resolved there is no interlock to prevent this happening.

The rear rams are positioned behind the rear axle and when parking with the rear overhang over the curb there is a possibility of striking the ram against a high curb and there is no protection to prevent this.

Has anyone experienced these issues?

IIRC there was one YouTuber who had an issue with a dropped/bent ram from one manufacturer and there was an unconfirmed report about a batch of them causing similar issues. Given the number of these system fitted to MoHos and caravans over the years Iā€™d say the reported failure rate is minuscule.

Second scenario wouldnā€™t be an issue as the control module would be in my hand outside while observing the rams drop.

They were indispensable for us when travelling around Greece and Crete as we hardly ever stopped on a level piece of ground. And it wasnā€™t just saving a couple of minutes over the alternatives - we were sat in the bar at Preveli Beach, Southern Crete, being entertained for a good 40 minutes by a German couple in a hi-top LWB Crafter ā€˜Adventureā€™ van trying to get level. After shuffling back and forth on not one, but two sets of ramps, they switched to airbags and fiddled around fine tuning the pressures while we supped up. The look on his face as I hit the automatic levelling button was priceless! A couple of minutes later and we had the BBQ out and wine on the table. ;)
IMG_9474.jpeg

Wouldnā€™t be without them now.

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
I am a little unclear as to why you find the need to do this? The system is set up to adjust via the remote or fixed actuator that you can do any adjustment from without the need to delate the Airbags, the adjustment is through the hydraulic legs.
I think that is only is you have full air suspension - we only have rear air bags. Maybe i'm wrong so would be interested to hear your thoughts as Rosmia, who fitted the E&P, explained that it only works in that way with full air...

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
IIRC there was one YouTuber who had an issue with a dropped/bent ram from one manufacturer and there was an unconfirmed report about a batch of them causing similar issues. Given the number of these system fitted to MoHos and caravans over the years Iā€™d say the reported failure rate is minuscule.

Second scenario wouldnā€™t be an issue as the control module would be in my hand outside while observing the rams drop.

They were indispensable for us when travelling around Greece and Crete as we hardly ever stopped on a level piece of ground. And it wasnā€™t just saving a couple of minutes over the alternatives - we were sat in the bar at Preveli Beach, Southern Crete, being entertained for a good 40 minutes by a German couple in a hi-top LWB Crafter ā€˜Adventureā€™ van trying to get level. After shuffling back and forth on not one, but two sets of ramps, they switched to airbags and fiddled around fine tuning the pressures while we supped up. The look on his face as I hit the automatic levelling button was priceless! A couple of minutes later and we had the BBQ out and wine on the table. ;)
View attachment 827159

I do get it hence why we had them installed - our MH isn't exactly large at 6.55m but a pain the is a.. trying to level it, the ramps would often slide away and then twist so Ā£6500 is cheaper than a divorce ;)

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Mine goes in to be serviced tomorrow. Don't forget they come with a two year warranty and recommended servicing is every two years, so my installers (A and E Leisure) told me to get it in just before the two year anniversary and if they find any issues the warranty will sort it.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think that is only is you have full air suspension - we only have rear air bags. Maybe i'm wrong so would be interested to hear your thoughts as Rosmia, who fitted the E&P, explained that it only works in that way with full air...
I understand the E+P levelling system can operate independently of the air system so this sounds odd to me.
l do understand they can work in conjunction with each other in that the Air system drops to its lowest point and then the Levelling system kicks in to level up but they donā€™t nessasarily need to work together.

You need to take good advice on this,phone Mick Lieightley at SAP in Doncaster heā€™s a Master. 01302215296.

Do let us know your final outcome.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have E&P and VB semi air on the rear, they don't talk to each other. Only the full air system dumps the air before the legs go down, Mick confirmed this when we considered going "full air"... we didn't due to the cost and drop the air lower manually before putting the legs down. We did upgrade the front springs which made a huge difference in ride and a fraction of the "full air" price.
I agree with E&P being cheaper than a divorce, "stop, go on, STOP!!!!" only to find I am still 3 inches from the top of the ramps.. I don't regret spending the money fours years ago at all.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
We have E&P and VB semi air on the rear, they don't talk to each other. Only the full air system dumps the air before the legs go down, Mick confirmed this when we considered going "full air"... we didn't due to the cost and drop the air lower manually before putting the legs down. We did upgrade the front springs which made a huge difference in ride and a fraction of the "full air" price.
I agree with E&P being cheaper than a divorce, "stop, go on, STOP!!!!" only to find I am still 3 inches from the top of the ramps.. I don't regret spending the money fours years ago at all.
A divorce? How forgiving. Murder if cold and wet or balmy warm and midgies marauding. Left one out, right one in .. thump!
Also dump the jack, and the chocks.
And my wife can now change the spare wheel.

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
Yep, likewise and the semi air and upgraded front springs is a great combination and cheaper than Ā£8-9K of full air. I am happy to deflate the rear when necessary as easy with the 'comfort kit' (gauges and compressor in cab). NO regrets spending on the E&P.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The reason you deflate is so that it does not interfere with levelling and twist the chassis (that is the reason explained by AL-KO on our system) we have a Goldschmitt full air system which is lowered and deactivated whilst using levelling šŸ˜Š

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

You don't have to do it, however, by doing it the hydraulic legs donā€™t have to extend so far and the levelled van will be lower than it otherwise might be.

Ian

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Nah - not for me. I'm fine. Off grided for 2 months all over Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro this last 2 months and never spent more than a couple of minutes levelling. I don't faff I just get it right. Haven't adjusted my air bags since I bought them either. Just not worth the money for me. I like different toys. But you enjoy. (y)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Fair points and exactly what how we felt especially as out MH is 12 years old now but we use it very regularly so for us it is worth it but don't think we would have gone ahead if we only used it for 4 to 6 weeks per year.

I use mine 5 months a year - all over Europe and beyond mostly off grid.

OP
OP
Simonnsj
Oct 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Motorhoming since 2014
I understand the E+P levelling system can operate independently of the air system so this sounds odd to me.
l do understand they can work in conjunction with each other in that the Air system drops to its lowest point and then the Levelling system kicks in to level up but they donā€™t nessasarily need to work together.

You need to take good advice on this,phone Mick Lieightley at SAP in Doncaster heā€™s a Master. 01302215296.

Do let us know your final outcome.
Sometimes the E&P system says that it cannot auto level because the angle at which the MH is at is too acute so I deflate the rear suspension and it levels fine - it is due to the fact the rear of our MH is higher than the front (as in many cases) even though we have had the MAD springs fitted to the front by AS Air Suspension. We were advised by Rosmia that we may need to deflate the rear suspension to get it level - takes less than a minute to deflate the air bags from inside the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back