Durness it is, decision made (5 Viewers)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
HERE is the answer to your dilemma AND it makes a mighty fine cup of coffee:D Mind you the 'cup sizes' are small so you might need a 6 cup:eek:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So, it wouldn't be a normal day away with me without something going wrong

I have no flush water for my toilet, I have to presume it is frozen, been outside to check, now we have a black tank and water for the flush is fed directly from the cold water tank. Access to back of loo is via a standard Thetford sized door panel on the side. Inside there it is really warm, Alde hot water pipes run through it and they are nice and warm, so no obvious frozen point here

Nothing much I can do other than worry about the split in the pipe when it thaws

So, the sink in the loo works fine, so filled loo via tap there and coffee mug, now I know it takes four large mug fills to get to a normal flush point for the macerator to work, I don't actually know the volume of the black tank, but think it is over 100 litres, but no wonder we fill it so quickly when away together

Going to look for Crested Tits and hope the afternoon sun will thaw whatever is frozen, not overly hopeful of that though

Oh forgot to say, Lola has developed a limp, she is not happy to use one of her front legs, might have over done it yesterday, will have to see if we can even go out today, gave her some Loxicom last night, (Meloxicam) she has it for her aging joints, we call it her 'snore juice' it certainly makes her sleep and she usually snores more than normal. Just given her another dose this morning, she has managed a 10 yd walk, out of MH, wee, turn round back in for breakfast

Hopefully by tonight she will be walking properly, I will have seen and possibly even photographed a Crested Tit and the lo will flush................................

:)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our dog has bad joints but warm weather ie a trip to Spain, did wonders for him. Lola could just suffering from the cold.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So, as the BBC got the weather wrong (we were forecast mist / fog till the afternoon) we have and had beautiful sunny skies, so took Lola for a test lap of the site, all looks good. No idea what is in that Loxicom but it had worked, she slept (snored) for England last night and today was more like a 7 month old dog not her true 7 years

Off to Grantown Woods it is then

IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

there really is something quite magical about sunlight through trees (well I think so anyway) apologies for repetition to those not so bothered :)

Despite many miles walked looking at the top of the trees (now have a bad neck to match Lolas leg) saw no sign of a crested tit, but did speak to a local carrying binoculars who didn't rate my chances (bloody reference books) must check when my book was printed :)

Nice view upwards though, could even be Mediterranean

IMG_0282.JPG

Now back at MH, temp gauge says -2.5C but toilet flush still wont work

No Crested Tit

But Lola firing on all four legs is all that really mattered for today :):)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Beautiful again, glad Lola is feeling better (y)

Can I just ask a bit more info about something raised the other day by, I think, Mousy? She was asking about snow chains but you said you just had 'van' tyres on and I've seen some references to 'camping' tyres (I think) - what are they please and are they the same thing and do you have them on all year? I.e. Not like winter tyres you can have for a car.

Cheers

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Beautiful again, glad Lola is feeling better (y)

Can I just ask a bit more info about something raised the other day by, I think, Mousy? She was asking about snow chains but you said you just had 'van' tyres on and I've seen some references to 'camping' tyres (I think) - what are they please and are they the same thing and do you have them on all year? I.e. Not like winter tyres you can have for a car.

Cheers

Hello Debs - I put the tyre reference in as a bit a joke, I have no idea what I have fitted (I know I really should do) other than my tyre fitter fitted identical to what was already on and had been fitted by Hymer originally, only changed due to age, they have done less than 5K miles

IMO van tyres will probably do for most MH's, they are all built on a van chassis and even when full will not weigh much different to their original design MGW

Now I am glad this is hidden in my travel thread, all those that have bigger opinions will miss this and leave me alone (hopefully)

As for changing tyres for different seasons, no need at all, maybe if I get to Norway close to winter I might consider different tyres for that bit only

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now then the door

Some who have been with me throughout will recall a mention of the door earlier, I got close to bragging that I had 'repaired' my door, well it definitely needs mending now

Over the last few days the door has been getting harder and harder to close, from inside, when outside I can press hard and it always latches closed, but when inside you cant apply the weight needed, so I have adopted a form of slam

But I have been telling myself it will not take much to damage this door doing this, well today the damage happened

IMG_0301.JPG

The bloody thing was only held together with plastic fittings

Anyway photo sent to our service people to fix when servicing next month, how much can a piece of plastic cost??

What makes it worse though, I now don't have a handle, so plan A was to shut it from outside and come in through the cab door, but found that holding the very bottom of the opening catch and pulling gently works perfectly, if only I had twigged that before ripping it of the wall

Oh well, at least Lola is mended

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sorry to hear door is broken but glad that Lola is feeling better. Our dalmation who is 10 has the same stuff for his joints (he doesn't snore though), the spaniel who is 9 snores like a trooper but luckily for us is not yet on the snoring juice. The photographs continue to amaze.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning, its time to go home

Planning route and timing options now to avoid snow and ice as best I can

Moving on from Grantown tomorrow morning, had thought I would go off grid, or 'wild' / layby /back of pub parking, but in reality -10 is a bit on the cold side for that

So going to drive down to Lossiemouth and have a look, it sounds very nice, will plan options for return in warmer months

Going up to the Loch Garten nature reserve for a possible sighting of my crested tit, I might stop over night there, depends on just how cold it feels when I get there, then heading south on Thursday, will probably over night in Jedburgh as we have done a few times, hopefully it will not be anywhere near as cold by the time I get there

Then Friday home, hopefully via Terry for a look at my door

Not sure how much internet access I will have en route, if I get any good photos on my journey I will post them when I confirm safe arrival home

I need to plan something else when I get back, I have really enjoyed most of this trip, 70+ MPH winds maybe not so much

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Glad you had a good time and hopefully you may see the crested tit before you head south
Haste ye back

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
David, Loch Garten, isn't that Osprey territory ? On your retreat you could take the Paradise trail thro Dufftown calling in past 2nd heaven, the birthplace of the GLENFIDDICH Malts, Aberlour malts right next door, you may have to stop overnight !
Anyway I hope your winter sojourn remains as fond memories of your survival thro some testing times of torrents and tempests. I can hear you now in a cosy Derbyshire pub "When I was in Durness in the hurricanes of 2015, when the van was........." could be worth a dram or two, and with telling it will get better
:groan::yawn2::yawn2:
Aye "Haste ye back"

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
David, Loch Garten, isn't that Osprey territory ? On your retreat you could take the Paradise trail thro Dufftown calling in past 2nd heaven, the birthplace of the GLENFIDDICH Malts, Aberlour malts right next door, you may have to stop overnight !
Anyway I hope your winter sojourn remains as fond memories of your survival thro some testing times of torrents and tempests. I can hear you now in a cosy Derbyshire pub "When I was in Durness in the hurricanes of 2015, when the van was........." could be worth a dram or two, and with telling it will get better
:groan::yawn2::yawn2:
Aye "Haste ye back"
This appeals to me much more than looking for birds :D

But I'm already looking forward to your next trip David (y)

Hope we will meet you, Bev & Lola this year so we can raise a glass to you, a true adventurer :cheers:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you David for taking the time to share your trip with us, I have really enjoyed following it, safe journey home and I look forward to your next adventure.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Been given Boat of Garten as a hot tip for the Crested Tit, there is an RSPB reserve there, they apparently come down to their feeders

But I have a bit of a theory on this, Bev and I have discussed the 'issue' of my going off on my own and seeing big events, now the crested tit is not really right up there, but it will be a first time sighting for ether of us. I was more referring to the Aurora option, it would be really sad not to share that experience

So between Bev and those that control my life, I now think I will not see such rarities until we are together, so really not expecting much out of tomorrows search :D

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I now think I will not see such rarities until we are together, so really not expecting much out of tomorrows search

Nice to share, and also nice to see that British pessimism is alive and well, in that vein to keep your spirits up and hopes alive .... I doubt you'll see one either.(y)

Great trip and I hope the door is not too much hassle or expense.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Safe journey home David, look forward to reading about your next adventure and who knows we might even join you for part of it depending on dates.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Safe journey home David, look forward to reading about your next adventure and who knows we might even join you for part of it depending on dates.

It's not really an adventure but I have read there is a nice site out your way south of Kendal in an old brick works or similar, with a walk along a railway into Kendal, sounded nice anyway

What with various door and battery issues I seem to get in to an adventure on my own drive :)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi David......just noticed your thread. Glad you're having a great time up there, we've been away from home since 26th November.......currently back at Brighton CC, had a sprinkling of snow today, but nothing compared to the "proper winter weather up north":D
We did lose our loo window last Wednesday in the gales on the south coast, that will teach me to secure it properly:(it didn't go far.....so will need gaffer tape to secure it when we finally move off shortly. Only had two scary nights down here with gale force winds:eek: Two men got swept out to sea from the beach at Brighton during force 9 gales recently.

Great to see all your photos, have a safe trip back down, we will probably cross paths as we need to stop at Oaktree on our way back up. Water pump failed and engine management light recurring! Just hoping we still have a roof on the garage when we get back......

Take care, Margaret & Bill

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There was a brief glimpse of a crested tit on Winter Watch last night. Next episode BBC2 tonight at 20:00. If there is another shot of one you can still say you saw a Crested Tit in Scotland!

typical I even missed that last night, will try again tonight, thanks

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David......just noticed your thread. Glad you're having a great time up there, we've been away from home since 26th November.......currently back at Brighton CC, had a sprinkling of snow today, but nothing compared to the "proper winter weather up north":D
We did lose our loo window last Wednesday in the gales on the south coast, that will teach me to secure it properly:(it didn't go far.....so will need gaffer tape to secure it when we finally move off shortly. Only had two scary nights down here with gale force winds:eek: Two men got swept out to sea from the beach at Brighton during force 9 gales recently.

Great to see all your photos, have a safe trip back down, we will probably cross paths as we need to stop at Oaktree on our way back up. Water pump failed and engine management light recurring! Just hoping we still have a roof on the garage when we get back......

Take care, Margaret & Bill

Hello both of you, I have followed a few of your comments on your travels

Safe drive home yourselves and hopefully we might meet up again this year

David and Bev

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hello both of you, I have followed a few of your comments on your travels

Safe drive home yourselves and hopefully we might meet up again this year

David and Bev

You didn't say Bev had actually made it up there :D

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Safe travels home and hope to catch up with you, Bev and Lola during the year.

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back