Dunkirk question

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Xan, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Xan

Xan Read Only Funster

Can the Funsters suggest a good place to stay overnight that is not too far from the ferry port at Dunkirk and in Belgium. When I say not too far, I mean within an hours drive.

Thanks.

2. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

There is an Aire at Gravelines between Calais and Dunkirk (in France) and is next to the river on Rue Du Port overlooking the boats and is off Rue Des Islandais and is free and is on the Calais side of town. Short stuff was there in May this year and quite empty No sevices but is a good place to stop overnight and very near both Ferrys about 15km from Dunkirk. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

We stayed on Aire at Gravelines earlier in the year, SWMBO liked the town and area so much, said she wouldn't mind living there. :Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

It's not free ! the last time i stayed there it was €6.00 for 24Hrs.

5. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

Quite right. The Aire shouldn't be confused with the free parking on the quayside.

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Not sure about the last post on Gravelines. The aire for parking is on the quayside (fisherman's quay) and there is now a charge for stopping overnight.

An alternative, although in France rather than Belgium, is Bergues. About 25 minutes from the ferry port; no services but free parking. Here are the coordinates from CC Infos:
    Latitude : (Nord) 50.9658°
    Longitude : (Est) 2.43586°

7. Mel

Mel Funster

You can park in DFDS car park overnight.
    if you want often 5 or 6 UK Motorhomes on the parking to the right before the checkin just as you come off the rounabout.

8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

The Rue du Port aire at Gravelines can be seen here in all its panoramic glory

9. WillH

WillH Funster

We have stayed at the ferry port a couple of times, no problems. Just park up outside the terminal building, plenty of room.

10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Xan.....you can stop here ...it is an Aire..as you enter the Aire, the left hand side is the Aire , straight forward is a car park...Its Free...no services.... but if you are only wanting it for the ferry... it is close ...and OK.....DON'T TELL THE OTHER FUNSTERS :Doh::Wink::Wink:..Or I won't get a space when I need one ..its next to the beach...there is a promenade for cycling, Jogging and running..:Eeek: if that's your poison..there is also a (Parc Vent) a grassy park with footpaths to walk around....a nice place to stop. some flats at one side when you enter the Aire

Go onto google maps and put these coordination in and you will see what I mean..use the yellow man and zoom in and see what I mean

This Aire is only minutes...I hope it's not to close:Wink::Wink:..it is an official Aire

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

The aire at Gravelines was €3 last Wed :BigGrin:
    It's 12k from ferry terminal which should have taken around 15 mins-it was dark and foggy when we left and we relied on Sat Nav -so many new roads etc that it was 45 mins before we got there :)

Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

Snap , hunting around for that aire , been there , done that. :BigGrin:Our first trip from Dunkirk terminal to Gravelines aire it was the same , dark and foggy .Roamed around like lost souls before locating the aire near enough an hour after leaving the ferry.Eventually found it , more by good luck than good judgement

I agree on the new roads you mention . All our trips from port to Gravelines , seem to be on a different route . Am now convinced they build a new road every few months in that area , all leading to Gravelines from different directions .

On a more serious note , it really hacks us off seeing the amount of motor homers arriving at the aire , having a gander at the pay machine then wandering away without even attempting to pay. I mean , €6 in summer and €3 in winter , hardly a fortune is it ?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Xan

Xan Read Only Funster

Thanks for the suggestions but we are really wanting somewhere in Belgium, on the way towards Bruges.

14. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Just over the Belgian border at Adinkerke is the "Stop and Shop" discount tobacco outlet. We have shopped there frequently and yesterday they confirmed by Email that they permit overnight parking in the overnight section of their carpark behind the store.

51° 4'19.70"N 2°36'6.27"E