Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Can the Funsters suggest a good place to stay overnight that is not too far from the ferry port at Dunkirk and in Belgium. When I say not too far, I mean within an hours drive.

Thanks.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
There is an Aire at Gravelines between Calais and Dunkirk (in France) and is next to the river on Rue Du Port overlooking the boats and is off Rue Des Islandais and is free and is on the Calais side of town. Short stuff was there in May this year and quite empty No sevices but is a good place to stop overnight and very near both Ferrys about 15km from Dunkirk. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
There is an Aire at Gravelines between Calais and Dunkirk (in France) and is next to the river on Rue Du Port overlooking the boats and is off Rue Des Islandais and is free and is on the Calais side of town. Short stuff was there in May this year and quite empty No sevices but is a good place to stop overnight and very near both Ferrys about 15km from Dunkirk. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

We stayed on Aire at Gravelines earlier in the year, SWMBO liked the town and area so much, said she wouldn't mind living there. :Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure about the last post on Gravelines. The aire for parking is on the quayside (fisherman's quay) and there is now a charge for stopping overnight.

An alternative, although in France rather than Belgium, is Bergues. About 25 minutes from the ferry port; no services but free parking. Here are the coordinates from CC Infos:
Latitude : (Nord) 50.9658°
Longitude : (Est) 2.43586°

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
You can park in DFDS car park overnight.
if you want often 5 or 6 UK Motorhomes on the parking to the right before the checkin just as you come off the rounabout.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have stayed at the ferry port a couple of times, no problems. Just park up outside the terminal building, plenty of room.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Can the Funsters suggest a good place to stay overnight that is not too far from the ferry port at Dunkirk and in Belgium. When I say not too far, I mean within an hours drive.

Thanks.

Xan.....you can stop here ...it is an Aire..as you enter the Aire, the left hand side is the Aire , straight forward is a car park...Its Free...no services.... but if you are only wanting it for the ferry... it is close ...and OK.....DON'T TELL THE OTHER FUNSTERS :Doh::winky::winky:..Or I won't get a space when I need one ..its next to the beach...there is a promenade for cycling, Jogging and running..:Eeek: if that's your poison..there is also a (Parc Vent) a grassy park with footpaths to walk around....a nice place to stop. some flats at one side when you enter the Aire

Go onto google maps and put these coordination in and you will see what I mean..use the yellow man and zoom in and see what I mean

This Aire is only minutes...I hope it's not to close:winky::winky:..it is an official Aire

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The aire at Gravelines was €3 last Wed ::bigsmile:
It's 12k from ferry terminal which should have taken around 15 mins-it was dark and foggy when we left and we relied on Sat Nav -so many new roads etc that it was 45 mins before we got there :)

Mike.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
The aire at Gravelines was €3 last Wed ::bigsmile:
It's 12k from ferry terminal which should have taken around 15 mins-it was dark and foggy when we left and we relied on Sat Nav -so many new roads etc that it was 45 mins before we got there :)

Mike.

Snap , hunting around for that aire , been there , done that. ::bigsmile:Our first trip from Dunkirk terminal to Gravelines aire it was the same , dark and foggy .Roamed around like lost souls before locating the aire near enough an hour after leaving the ferry.Eventually found it , more by good luck than good judgement

I agree on the new roads you mention . All our trips from port to Gravelines , seem to be on a different route . Am now convinced they build a new road every few months in that area , all leading to Gravelines from different directions .

On a more serious note , it really hacks us off seeing the amount of motor homers arriving at the aire , having a gander at the pay machine then wandering away without even attempting to pay. I mean , €6 in summer and €3 in winter , hardly a fortune is it ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Thanks for the suggestions but we are really wanting somewhere in Belgium, on the way towards Bruges.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995

Thanks.

Just over the Belgian border at Adinkerke is the "Stop and Shop" discount tobacco outlet. We have shopped there frequently and yesterday they confirmed by Email that they permit overnight parking in the overnight section of their carpark behind the store.

51° 4'19.70"N 2°36'6.27"E

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back