Dumb electrics question (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
After six months ovwnership I still seem to be finding things I don't quite understand...like this one. When I hook up on site I have the big illuminated rocker switch on the consumer unit switched to 'I' [in rather than 'O' for out] as I was told on handover that this 'switches everything on'. It also switches on an irritating little fan within the unit, which is loud enough to be a nuisance at night. Out of interest, I switched the rocker to 'O' and found that all the mains equipment still worked. And so I have assumed that the switch doesn't 'switch everything on' but puts the battery on charge.

Is this correct? And if I leave it off, so that the battery isn't charging, am I draining the battery when using the 12v kit? Or is the mains transformed down to 12v whilst on hook-up?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fan is there to protect the charging circuit, but should be pretty much silent in use. Switching off the charger as you suggest will mean that using 12v circuits in the van will discharge the battery.

I recomend you either get used to the annoying fan whistle or get the unit serviced and fan changed for a new silent one, These are the same as used inside pcs, so easily available and quality ones are totally silent in opperation

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Just a footnote; the symbols you refer to are 1 and 0 and not I and O. 1 means on, 0 means off. As already stated the fan is the cooling fan for the charger. You could try some silocone spray if the fan requires lubricating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks folks. Will try the spray idea, but at least I now know what exactly the switch is for. If the fan continues to annoy, then leaving it off at night shouldn't be a problem since we're using no power after bedtime! And especial thanks for pointing out the '1' and '0' meaning! For years I've assumed that the symbols stood for In and Out, as On and Off couldn't be reduced to their initial letters.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back