Driving fines in France (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
To get back on track. What's the issue? If you accidentally trip a speed camera in France, DVLA send your details. The French Police, who have exactly zero authority to operate in this country send you a fine.

Personally I would send it back with a note saying, "Sorry, your services are not required!"
End of the matter, what are they going to do, send over a task force to come and get you, I think not! All bluff and bluster, and I imagine the DVLA will continue to be difficult to foreign agencies, since they will not reciprocate.

& the next time you enter France ,or are stopped, they present you with the bill+ interest+ expenses+being arrested +seizing van till you pay + charge for recovery +storage etc: that 's what they do here already. Bloke on a Spanish forum down in Almeria was detained at Alicante airport flying in a couple of years back.

Anyway they don't even have to do that . As soon as you don't pay, or send back the " services not required " they just apply for a european arrest warrant , that gets sent to the UK , they have to arrest you, & ship you back to wherever has asked for it. All these expenses + flights, etc; will be added to the bill.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
& the next time you enter France ,or are stopped, they present you with the bill+ interest+ expenses+being arrested +seizing van till you pay + charge for recovery +storage etc: that 's what they do here already. Bloke on a Spanish forum down in Almeria was detained at Alicante airport flying in a couple of years back.

Anyway they don't even have to do that . As soon as you don't pay, or send back the " services not required " they just apply for a european arrest warrant , that gets sent to the UK , they have to arrest you, & ship you back to wherever has asked for it. All these expenses + flights, etc; will be added to the bill.
Or more likely, they will simply do what the safety camera partnerships do here, move on to a softer target. As soon as you challenge the SCP they back down.
Also I sincerely doubt that the UK would agree to an EU arrest warrant (which they would be required to do) for an alleged speeding offence. Thus again, no authority, put the bill in the bin.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well after March 2019 it will all be different again in one way or another. We will then thankfully be rid of the bullying unelected Presidents and Merkel.
You live in a dream world I'm afraid. After we leave, we will be even deeper under their control, since the only thing that will change is our say. They will lay down the law, and we are unrepresented. But apparently that's a good thing, so roll on 2019.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You live in a dream world I'm afraid. After we leave, we will be even deeper under their control, since the only thing that will change is our say. They will lay down the law, and we are unrepresented. But apparently that's a good thing, so roll on 2019.
Choice of staying and getting shafted or leaving and getting shafted.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It should never ever got to this point. When the uk voted to join it was the common market, a trading block. If it had been explained that it was to become the eu , the greatest gravy train on earth for all the top politicians and their mates , how do you think that the vote would of gone? Then successive weak governments or ones with their noses in the troughs have failed us.

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
It should never ever got to this point. When the uk voted to join it was the common market, a trading block. If it had been explained that it was to become the eu , the greatest gravy train on earth for all the top politicians and their mates , how do you think that the vote would of gone? .
Agreed, the idea of the common market and trading was good. Then the idea got out of hand with the French and Germans wanting to control everything. We lost all powers, no UK law, no borders etc. The EU now is like communism, make all countries equal, rich and poor alike. It hasn't worked and as we know neither did Communism in the East.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not who you think my Princess...

The Brit Prime Minister, Teresa May, claims the EU leaders will find her a "difficult woman" when it comes to the negoiations...

I hate her and her typical Brit arrogance...

Just saying

JJ :cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not who you think my Princess...

The Brit Prime Minister, Teresa May, claims the EU leaders will find her a "difficult woman" when it comes to the negoiations...

I hate her and her typical Brit arrogance...

Just saying

I think post June 8th we will have a different leader anyway, her and her parties days are numbered....:)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Considering how many of us not only holiday in France, but start our European travels via a French Port, and keep our MH's for a good few years, if I were them having an unpaid French penalty I might be choosing a none French port if I had outstanding fine payments.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Bit off topic but I was chatting to a lady yesterday who got a camera lead fine and 3 points for taking the wrong route exiting the Hospital. They now have bus lane type cameras on the hospital premises.:(

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Brits fined for traffic violations abroad?

Brilliant news. (y)

Long Live The EU.

Please Lord, protect me from difficult women. :(

Sorry no , bye bye Europe !

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
If you're in France you're on holiday! What's the rush?

To add my twopennerth to the other theme - the tory party have been trying to find a man to replace Maggie ever since they stabbed her in the back. I thought they had with Cameron but then he threw his toys out of the pram when things didn't go his way. Now they've found someone who will, just like Maggie, stand up to the shambles that is the EU. More strength to her elbow and we should all vote for her in June. They -Europe-have a lot more to loose than us if we just walk away. All they are worried about is the amount of money they are going to have to find after we've gone.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
All they are worried about is the amount of money they are going to have to find after we've gone.
that is why they are talking about 100m euros for us to leave.
well they got in this mess, so sod them.
uk walk away and the eu will implode

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Or more likely, they will simply do what the safety camera partnerships do here, move on to a softer target. As soon as you challenge the SCP they back down.
Also I sincerely doubt that the UK would agree to an EU arrest warrant (which they would be required to do) for an alleged speeding offence. Thus again, no authority, put the bill in the bin.

As long as warrant is correctly applied for in said country, France, then the receiving country can do nothing other than execute it.

If you're in France you're on holiday! What's the rush?

To add my twopennerth to the other theme - the tory party have been trying to find a man to replace Maggie ever since they stabbed her in the back. I thought they had with Cameron but then he threw his toys out of the pram when things didn't go his way. Now they've found someone who will, just like Maggie, stand up to the shambles that is the EU. More strength to her elbow and we should all vote for her in June. They -Europe-have a lot more to loose than us if we just walk away. All they are worried about is the amount of money they are going to have to find after we've gone.

I agree with the point that she appears quite strong ,unfortunately she lacks the skill, diplomacy & brains of Maggie.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The Maggie i remember was of a woman who went around bashing people with her handbag, not exactly diplomatic.:LOL:

M

meooo2012

Deleted User
Having been "flashed" by two speed cameras in France in January this year (one my fault...was over, the other debate able) I was speaking to a Brit who lives in southern France who informed me that after 12 months the French authorities drop any offences they haven't had time/bothered to persue.
Another Brit, caught by the same second camera as me doing exactly the same speed, reckoned that the French are now selling the fines and reg numbers to debt agencies here in the uk!

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
There are many politicians whom I dislike intensely. However, I would never consider naming them or foisting my opinions on a Motorhome forum - for obvious reasons. Please keep your political opinions to yourself or, for when you are propping up the bar. Better still, if you feel so aggrieved, sign up to one of the parties and barrack the opposition in your spare time....which I am sure some of you spouting off have too much of. Please keep it friendly and, on topic!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Having been "flashed" by two speed cameras in France in January this year (one my fault...was over, the other debate able) I was speaking to a Brit who lives in southern France who informed me that after 12 months the French authorities drop any offences they haven't had time/bothered to persue.
Another Brit, caught by the same second camera as me doing exactly the same speed, reckoned that the French are now selling the fines and reg numbers to debt agencies here in the uk!

Did he/she have any proof?

M

meooo2012

Deleted User
No, no proof, just heresay I expect.....but if it were true they couldn't add to the €50 standard fine, so they'd be buying them for very low cost

hat004

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Bridgend
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers Van Co
Exp
Since 2013
Totally agree with Rodneyplonker. This is supposed to be a motorhome blog site with the word 'fun' in the title not a political debating site. Let's stick to the subject of motorhomes shall we?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back