Don't bother running in your new motorhome..... (1 Viewer)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Todays engineering tolerances and fine machining techniques means running in doesnt include speed....only variable engine loading.
acceleration (but not harsh) to legal speed limits , hill climbing using the gearbox etc.. ...but do not labour the engine.
You could sit at 70mph in top gear all day and it still wont get properly run in.
When was the last time you saw a bit of cardboard with the words
RUNNING IN..PLEASE PASS in the rear window of a vehicle ?

Never !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Reminds me of the SAAB`s we used to bring from Sweden. The Dockers in Imingham would thrash them from Cold, up 2 car deck ramps over the Stern ramp and off to the compound as if they where Moss/Carlsen et al:whistle:. Stood in a SAAB dealership one day, I regaled the Salesman with this story, he was visibly horrified!.:D

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Luckily, our previous new van arrived at the showroom on a low loader straight from the manufacturers.
But, I have no idea how the chassis cab got from Peugeot to Autosleeper............
On a lorry and drag , two on board , two on the trailer lifted on double decked back to front. Alko models made as push you pull yous on the same double ended chassis X four per lorry , four per trailer.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
710?? that must of pushed it over 40 brake.. lol.

When i was doing race engines, the guys would run them through 3 heat cycles , check a few things , and pin them. Hearing them on a dyno for a day , singing away , is pretty cool. On the fly oil analysis means they can see what is going on , even when its running.

Not sure of BHP but it was punchy not super quick like a KTM but interesting :D

It showed a 999 the way at the Goose Neck on the IoM :D

Ahh it needed warming up prior to riding as well :) being a single cylinder (y)

Last edited:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Not sure of BHP but it was punchy not super quick like a KTM but interesting :D

It showed a 999 the way at the Goose Neck on the IoM :D

Ahh it needed warming up prior to riding as well :) being a single cylinder (y)

I rode a CCM with that motor in after riding a Factory 710 Rotax, was like pulling a caravan. Fun tool though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Many years ago a friend got a job for a tyre company. His duties were to put the company's tyres through a 'high speed' testing regime.

They worked in groups of three. Monday morning they would collect three top end Jaguars, BMWs, Mercedes or the like. Instructions would be t o put 5,000 miles on the tyres, driving with a style to suit the car in question. They had an expense account for fuel, food and accommodation but not for any traffic fines and speeding tickets in fact anything that reflected badly on the company would cost him his job!

He never answered the question as to how they were to fully test a 150mph car with high speed tyres :)

It was a job I did envy a little.

Can you think how it must be to be a delivery driver for Ferrari or similar company?
You'd need to take onto an autobahn!

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Our new van,a Transit base was built in Turkey then shipped to France for Trigano to fit the Challenger body.
It had 18kms on the clock when we collected it and was very tight,glad someone had not thrashed it from Turkey.:censored:
I have a murvi pimento on a ford chassis , touch wood no probs but I still wished they manufactured them still at Eastleigh only had less than 50 on clock vospers Plymouth to ivybridge !

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
........if you buy one of the two we saw on the A1 yesterday. They were returning to base from the Peterborough show and doing 80 mph. The only time they slowed was when they approached a fixed speed camera. I realise that running in is not as important as it was but to treat somebody's expensive future pride and joy in this manner didn't seem right.
Well thankfully it won't or shouldn't be mine as from Peterbourgh to Becks at Rollesby, it'll be the A47 all the way and except for a few stretches you'll be lucky to get up to 80 anyway.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I rode a CCM with that motor in after riding a Factory 710 Rotax, was like pulling a caravan. Fun tool though.

Yep the Rotax is the one you want if you want to compete, the Suzi engine is a bit more err methodical for want of a better word.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Are you suggesting they break the law ? It is a criminal offence to alter the odometer on any vehicle.
I don't know the legalities but when I worked for a dealer all the Sevel vans could have the odometer reset up to 130 miles, if it went over this figure it could not be reset. From memory (not too great these days) there was a light on the dash whilst in the 130 mile mode.
I have to speak up for the drivers taking vans to and from shows, they are generally under paid and under pressure to collect as many vans as possible. But that does not condone law breaking

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Yep the Rotax is the one you want if you want to compete, the Suzi engine is a bit more err methodical for want of a better word.

The Suzuki motor was reliable, but its BHP per tonne figure was never going to be startling. I raced MX bikes with the Rotax motor,every landing was a clenched arse moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back