Don't bother running in your new motorhome..... (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
........if you buy one of the two we saw on the A1 yesterday. They were returning to base from the Peterborough show and doing 80 mph. The only time they slowed was when they approached a fixed speed camera. I realise that running in is not as important as it was but to treat somebody's expensive future pride and joy in this manner didn't seem right.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
........if you buy one of the two we saw on the A1 yesterday. They were returning to base from the Peterborough show and doing 80 mph. The only time they slowed was when they approached a fixed speed camera. I realise that running in is not as important as it was but to treat somebody's expensive future pride and joy in this manner didn't seem right.
Probably the first and only time they'll be driven as intended :D.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seen loads with trade plates on ,on the a52 this morning , wondered where they were coming from(n)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Many years ago a friend got a job for a tyre company. His duties were to put the company's tyres through a 'high speed' testing regime.

They worked in groups of three. Monday morning they would collect three top end Jaguars, BMWs, Mercedes or the like. Instructions would be t o put 5,000 miles on the tyres, driving with a style to suit the car in question. They had an expense account for fuel, food and accommodation but not for any traffic fines and speeding tickets in fact anything that reflected badly on the company would cost him his job!

He never answered the question as to how they were to fully test a 150mph car with high speed tyres :)

It was a job I did envy a little.

Can you think how it must be to be a delivery driver for Ferrari or similar company?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Many years ago a friend got a job for a tyre company. His duties were to put the company's tyres through a 'high speed' testing regime.

They worked in groups of three. Monday morning they would collect three top end Jaguars, BMWs, Mercedes or the like. Instructions would be t o put 5,000 miles on the tyres, driving with a style to suit the car in question. They had an expense account for fuel, food and accommodation but not for any traffic fines and speeding tickets in fact anything that reflected badly on the company would cost him his job!

He never answered the question as to how they were to fully test a 150mph car with high speed tyres :)

It was a job I did envy a little.

Can you think how it must be to be a delivery driver for Ferrari or similar company?
Ferraris etc all get delivered in a specially adapted truck ,i had a business doing just that ive had some very expensive cars in my truck and the only driving that you did was in and out of the truck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Best just let "white van man" do all the tyre testing, 150mph around corners up kerbside down kerbs running over various animals on the way.
If they can survive a week on a van they are good enough for everyone else....

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You can guarantee the mileage will be removed from the odometer before it goes on show as a new van.
There is a method they use once to renew the 0000000s.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We had a Moto Guzzi Le-mans MK2 from new in 1990 & ran it in reasonably! close to the makers spec, that year we rode to the Guzzi factory, whilst showing us around they took us to the Dyno cell & informed us that every engine is tested to 3500 rpm for half an hour then 5000 rpm for the same, now that may not seem high rpm but 5000 is about 100 mph, I just thought all that running in for nowt:doh::D

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Luckily, our previous new van arrived at the showroom on a low loader straight from the manufacturers.
But, I have no idea how the chassis cab got from Peugeot to Autosleeper............

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Hmm, I hope neither of them were Frankia's...we are waiting to collect our new van and would like to think I would be first to hammer it down the motorway:D2

We bought a Pilote from a reputable firm at the Lincoln Show a few years ago and it was seen returning from said show at considerably higher alleged speed by a forum member than it should have been.

As the vehicle was six months old at the time and has been belting along French roads above the UK legal limit today it is, as they say, water under the bridge

But it would be nice to think that Company employees might consider the vehicle that are driving rather than making sure they get home in time for their tea.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
You can guarantee the mileage will be removed from the odometer before it goes on show as a new van.
There is a method they use once to renew the 0000000s.
When we collected our new van they showed us that it had, I think, about 7 miles on the clock which was obviously in and around the factory, loading and unloading on delivery vehicle. He than zeroed it and told us it can only be done once and only if less than 100 miles on clock.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Our new van,a Transit base was built in Turkey then shipped to France for Trigano to fit the Challenger body.
It had 18kms on the clock when we collected it and was very tight,glad someone had not thrashed it from Turkey.:censored:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
We had a Moto Guzzi Le-mans MK2 from new in 1990 & ran it in reasonably! close to the makers spec, that year we rode to the Guzzi factory, whilst showing us around they took us to the Dyno cell & informed us that every engine is tested to 3500 rpm for half an hour then 5000 rpm for the same, now that may not seem high rpm but 5000 is about 100 mph, I just thought all that running in for nowt:doh::D
Maybe that's why my old Guzzi goes so well :dance2:.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Some believe that engines are "run in" on the bench before being installed in a vehicle and, indeed, some are.

I am of the old school and make sure that all my vehicles, bought new, are properly run in. It is not just the engine that benefits from being run in. Indeed, all moving mechanical parts benefit from it too. For example, the gearbox, wheel bearings, universal joints, the differential and even brakes and tyres.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
The most important thing with an engine is to ensure good piston ring to cylinder seal, and this isn't achieved by running an engine gently, but by making it rev.

All of my racebikes, for the last 40 years have been warmed and cooled once, ridden once for 5 or 10 minutes, and then that is it.

On numerous occasions , I have collected bikes on a Saturday, run them for one session of practice, then thrashed them. Using an engine gently is causes the bores to glaze and doesn't set the rings properly, so you get less oil retention and a poorer seal, and less power.

If it hasn't gone bang in 10 minutes, it isn't going to. And they don't.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Up until a couple of years back I used to buy a new trials bike every year, always used to do the first trial using basic mineral 2t oil before going over to full synthetic as was told that fully synthetic from new would not let the rings bed in properly.
Don't know if it helped ?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Up until a couple of years back I used to buy a new trials bike every year, always used to do the first trial using basic mineral 2t oil before going over to full synthetic as was told that fully synthetic from new would not let the rings bed in properly.
Don't know if it helped ?

This is the thing .. do you ever truly know??

I have been doing this for years, I know people that bought the same bikes as me, at the same , did their 'running in' thing, and when it broke and they had to borrow mine to ride, they would say how it felt faster..

A Scandanavian guy who used to build race 600's took 2 bikes out of the crate , did a short baseline dynorun on each , and then nailed one within an inch of its life, and did the other one as per the 'makers schedule' .. the after results were quite different , around 6hp , which on a stock 600 is a lot. He then stripped and inspected them and you can visually see the difference.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The most important thing with an engine is to ensure good piston ring to cylinder seal, and this isn't achieved by running an engine gently, but by making it rev.

All of my racebikes, for the last 40 years have been warmed and cooled once, ridden once for 5 or 10 minutes, and then that is it.

On numerous occasions , I have collected bikes on a Saturday, run them for one session of practice, then thrashed them. Using an engine gently is causes the bores to glaze and doesn't set the rings properly, so you get less oil retention and a poorer seal, and less power.

If it hasn't gone bang in 10 minutes, it isn't going to. And they don't.

A few years back I had a Suzuki 644 engine bored and plated to 710. It was plated to plus 40 micron.

The piston supplier told me to warm the bike take it down the road in 2nd gear and be on and of the throttle for a couple of minutes.

Then go home replace the oil and filter and that was job done.
They informed me they wanted the high spots cleared off and blown out the exhaust.
Never had an ounce of trouble with the engine.

You live and learn, the advance of technology I presume :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No, but i can imagine what it would look like in the factory with a tyre and wheel on a jig with automatic load and speed functions running constantly to test the tyres to destruction.

Seems more logical than risking a high value car on the open road.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Todays engineering tolerances and fine machining techniques means running in doesnt include speed....only variable engine loading.
acceleration (but not harsh) to legal speed limits , hill climbing using the gearbox etc.. ...but do not labour the engine.
You could sit at 70mph in top gear all day and it still wont get properly run in.
When was the last time you saw a bit of cardboard with the words
RUNNING IN..PLEASE PASS in the rear window of a vehicle ?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
A few years back I had a Suzuki 644 engine bored and plated to 710. It was plated to plus 40 micron.

The piston supplier told me to warm the bike take it down the road in 2nd gear and be on and of the throttle for a couple of minutes.

Then go home replace the oil and filter and that was job done.
They informed me they wanted the high spots cleared off and blown out the exhaust.
Never had an ounce of trouble with the engine.

You live and learn, the advance of technology I presume :D

710?? that must of pushed it over 40 brake.. lol.

When i was doing race engines, the guys would run them through 3 heat cycles , check a few things , and pin them. Hearing them on a dyno for a day , singing away , is pretty cool. On the fly oil analysis means they can see what is going on , even when its running.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
They areonly diesel engines how many lorries do you see being run inand most of them go for 500000 m
When i was driving artics had to go to main dealer to pick up new truck asked about running in head fitter laughed at me and said only until you get out of the gate

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back