Dometic fridge questions

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by timdownieuk, Aug 22, 2016.

1. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Firstly, is it normal for the gas to light with a bit of a "whoop"? Ours is a three way fridge freezer with electronic ignition.

Secondly, when running on gas, does the flame modulate to control fridge temperature or does it just cycle on and off?

2. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yes the whoop sound is not unusual. Assuming that you have a modern fridge the flame works thermostatically and is the same size when it is on. It switches off when the temperature is reached and switches on again once it starts to rise.

3. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Thanks. I've just removed a pile of soot from the chimney so hopefully it'll be working a bit better.

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

If you haven't already checked make sure the burner area is clear of soot and debris from the heat exchanger/chimney.

Martin

5. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

All clear. You have to move the burner aside to sweep the chimney properly so I was able to check it then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Prosser

Brian Prosser Funster

I use the Whoop sound to check the flame is lit. If it whoops again after striking it indicates it has failed to light so keep trying until there is no whoop. At this point I get down on my creaky knees and visually check in the little window thingy to prove it for sure. Being a worrier I also check the top outside vent is warm after half an hour or so and then open a beer!