Dog fence for outside the m/h

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Paula, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

What do people do about giving the dog a bit of free space when at sites. I know they are supposed to be on lead but.....

We use a stake and long lead but would like to get small fence type thing we can put up to keep her in - little elderly terrier and not an escape artist any more.

Not looking for big privacy area really, so the big windbreaks are not quite what we need and take up too much space when travelling by the look of it. Also a bit expensive

The best value I have looked at so far on net today seem to be thos striped wind breaks - but is it easy to get them to go right into the ground so that there is no gap at the bottom I wonder.

Anyone got any suggestions.

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

i occasionally use the stripped windbreaks, to keep them together use those plastic cable ties top and botom, i even cut the spikey bit of one end pole so that i could utilise it as a gate and used ribbon to tie up for ease of getting in and out

3. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

Thanks for this - hope to get a few more replies too.

4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I too do as Maggie suggests Paula. but I still have to keep mine on a screwed in pole in the ground as she is an escape artist. It gives her a sense of security though whilst having the freedom to walk about .

5. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

Thanks Movan, I guess we will need a mallet - is it ever difficult to get those stakes in - the wooden ones on the wind break I mean. We also rent the camper out so I think it might be useful for hirers taking their dog. We have a 2 week booking for it in May and they have a little dog so I think maybe I should get something for them. (but she is young dog so likely to escape I suspect - we will let them have our stake though

6. IrasciBill

IrasciBill Funster

Hi Paula,
    I've seen people at dog shows using that red plastic mesh stuff that is put round excavations etc. but it's not very pretty for round a MH.
    One thing you could consider, since you've got a small dog, is to buy a couple of the cheap stripey windbreaks and cut them to half height. That would give you double the length Cut the poles in half and put a point on the top half, then cut the fabric in half lengthways then you have two 2 foot high ones instead of one 4 foot high.
    No use for us though because our collie Sam can easily jump 4 feet (or even more :Blush:) but might be high enough for your needs.
    Good luck with the quest. If there's a dog agility club meet near you, might be worth a visit to get some ideas or ask around! :thumb:

7. chatter

if the ground is hard give it a little water where you need the stake, failing that some of these
    http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_149149.html

you will need to drill through the pole though to insert a small nut and bolt to hold pole in base securely or find something to pack it around the edge

8. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

Being a bit dim here I guess but those windbreak base things are for hollow metal poles are they? I think I would be right in saying that the wooden poles wouldnt work so well with those would they - unless the length of those base things is longer than it looks in the pic. ? I am thinking of windy conditions though - and of course in wind we would probably have her inside - ho hum - waste of a post here. think before you post :)

9. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

I have a friend who does agility - well her dog does anyway, so will ask her. Thanks for help there.

10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Have a word with Kath Wyaye wires, they had exactly what you asked for at the Carmarthen show, I'm sure they can tell you where to get one.

11. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

OK - tks Wildman I will do a search for that name

12. chatter

There are special dog pens that you can get which fold down and clip together but they are quite expensive

http://www.dandt.eu/

13. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

hmmm - a tad too tall and too much and too big and heavy to carry on board for our purposes I think.:Sad:
    Thanks for pointing me there though.

Wildman - I need pointing in the direction for Kath pls. cant work out where to find her to chat to her

14. chatter

Paula if you pop into chat of an evening kath quite often is in there her forum name is Wyaye wires

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Kath is in the chatroom most evenings but the system she has is the same one that Chatter "Maggie" gave you a link for

16. golly

golly Funster

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

18. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

Thanks golly_j & wildman - those two systems are a bit on the large size for us really. Looking for something smaller and simpler really. I think maybe the simiple stripey windbreak things might be best - and we may well take up the suggestion to cut them down a little to make it a slightly lower fence. I was hoping to find a lightweight plastic expandable self standing fence to be honest but nothing suitable seems available - (dont want much do I ! :Laughing:)

Thanks all
    Paula

19. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

Scotjimland :BigGrin:

20. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

Get two of those corkscrew type dog anchors. Stretch a length of wire between them, (B&Q do suitable plastic coated wire).

Loop the dogs lead over the wire and Fido has lots of room and freedom.

Put up a warning sign if your dog goes into 'guard mode' when in the motorhome.