Dog fence for outside the m/h (1 Viewer)

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
What do people do about giving the dog a bit of free space when at sites. I know they are supposed to be on lead but.....

We use a stake and long lead but would like to get small fence type thing we can put up to keep her in - little elderly terrier and not an escape artist any more.

Not looking for big privacy area really, so the big windbreaks are not quite what we need and take up too much space when travelling by the look of it. Also a bit expensive

The best value I have looked at so far on net today seem to be thos striped wind breaks - but is it easy to get them to go right into the ground so that there is no gap at the bottom I wonder.

Anyone got any suggestions.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i occasionally use the stripped windbreaks, to keep them together use those plastic cable ties top and botom, i even cut the spikey bit of one end pole so that i could utilise it as a gate and used ribbon to tie up for ease of getting in and out

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I too do as Maggie suggests Paula. but I still have to keep mine on a screwed in pole in the ground as she is an escape artist. It gives her a sense of security though whilst having the freedom to walk about .

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Thanks Movan, I guess we will need a mallet - is it ever difficult to get those stakes in - the wooden ones on the wind break I mean. We also rent the camper out so I think it might be useful for hirers taking their dog. We have a 2 week booking for it in May and they have a little dog so I think maybe I should get something for them. (but she is young dog so likely to escape I suspect - we will let them have our stake though

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Hi Paula,
I've seen people at dog shows using that red plastic mesh stuff that is put round excavations etc. but it's not very pretty for round a MH.
One thing you could consider, since you've got a small dog, is to buy a couple of the cheap stripey windbreaks and cut them to half height. That would give you double the length Cut the poles in half and put a point on the top half, then cut the fabric in half lengthways then you have two 2 foot high ones instead of one 4 foot high.
No use for us though because our collie Sam can easily jump 4 feet (or even more :Blush:) but might be high enough for your needs.
Good luck with the quest. If there's a dog agility club meet near you, might be worth a visit to get some ideas or ask around! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Being a bit dim here I guess but those windbreak base things are for hollow metal poles are they? I think I would be right in saying that the wooden poles wouldnt work so well with those would they - unless the length of those base things is longer than it looks in the pic. ? I am thinking of windy conditions though - and of course in wind we would probably have her inside - ho hum - waste of a post here. think before you post :)

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
I have a friend who does agility - well her dog does anyway, so will ask her. Thanks for help there.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Have a word with Kath Wyaye wires, they had exactly what you asked for at the Carmarthen show, I'm sure they can tell you where to get one.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
There are special dog pens that you can get which fold down and clip together but they are quite expensive

http://www.dandt.eu/

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
hmmm - a tad too tall and too much and too big and heavy to carry on board for our purposes I think.:Sad:
Thanks for pointing me there though.

Wildman - I need pointing in the direction for Kath pls. cant work out where to find her to chat to her

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Paula if you pop into chat of an evening kath quite often is in there her forum name is Wyaye wires

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hmmm - a tad too tall and too much and too big and heavy to carry on board for our purposes I think.:Sad:
Thanks for pointing me there though.

Wildman - I need pointing in the direction for Kath pls. cant work out where to find her to chat to her
Kath is in the chatroom most evenings but the system she has is the same one that Chatter "Maggie" gave you a link for

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Electric dog fence, job done :thumb:

Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Thanks golly_j & wildman - those two systems are a bit on the large size for us really. Looking for something smaller and simpler really. I think maybe the simiple stripey windbreak things might be best - and we may well take up the suggestion to cut them down a little to make it a slightly lower fence. I was hoping to find a lightweight plastic expandable self standing fence to be honest but nothing suitable seems available - (dont want much do I ! :roflmto:)

Thanks all
Paula

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Get two of those corkscrew type dog anchors. Stretch a length of wire between them, (B&Q do suitable plastic coated wire).

Loop the dogs lead over the wire and Fido has lots of room and freedom.

Put up a warning sign if your dog goes into 'guard mode' when in the motorhome.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
4 pieces of expanding wall trelicing. Tie together at ends. We used one to stop our pup going in the conservatory.

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Thanks you two - 2 good suggestions there.

We do have one corkscrew anchor already. And some spare plastic washing line ! V good idea that one - thanks.

I did think about the plastic trellis. I think that is a defniite possibility thanks.

I didnt mention before but was hoping to find something we could use when on hard standing so that is why I was looking for stand alone fencing. We have on occasion stayed at friends pub in tarmac car park and have had to tie dog to van. she is a scruffy little urchin so it tends to make us look like 'travellers' especially if we put her bed outside for her and dogs bowl etc. The pub is in an area where there are quite a few folk from the travelling community around and about. We get a few odd looks and I don't think it does their trade much good to be honest.

Will have to think of a way to make plastic trellis stand up on own. Need some sort of support posts. Bit of improvisation needed on this without a doubt.

Will have to keep my eyes open for firm self standing 'things' which are weighty enough.
Link Removed

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have 2 Border Terriers .
Ones 13 the others nearly 2. We tie both up with the wires and a cork screw thing in the grass.
If we're on hard standing we thread one wire through the alloys, fastening one dog at each end of the wire.
Very funny if one decides to charge at a cat or bird :winky:
They get a good walk at least once a day and little walks in between. Ive never even thought about putting a fence round the MH , to give them space and freedom. When they are tied up its just normally to lay out in the sun , rest , between walks.
I.M.O. I think you'd look more like a traveler with a fence round the MH , than just tying your dog up.
If you go on a commercial site they'd have a field day with you too. You get charged per wind break !

I can understand you wanting to do it if your dog is not very sociable with other dogs though.
Our 13 year old has to be watched , when tied up out side.
She was attacked by 2 Labradors as a pup , one got her neck and the other got her rear and they shook her between them.
Unfortunately shes never forgotten and can be a bit keen with some dogs.
Bev

PS very cute dog BTW !!

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
My g... do you really get charged by the windbreak ! :Sad:

I loved the pic you painted - dog chasing bird :roflmto:

It is a thought - looking more like a traveller - with a fence I mean. Must remember not to dry the teatowel and towels on the hedge too :RollEyes:

Seriously it is just that she is has always been a free range dog - that is only reason I thought of fence rather than tieing her up. Also had an elderly ladystop and ask why we didn't untie her on day in that pub car park - assuming she was so old and quiet that she wouldn't wander off - she looks so miserable and sad when tied up so the old girl thought we were being mean.

She is very very friendly with other dogs fortunately so that isn't a problem - in fact the problem is more that she gets attacked by others. She is just one of this worlds 'picked on' people.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Dog fence - o/s - m/h

Hi Paula,

Have a look at:

Link Removed

This supplier was suggested to us last week, and I think it may well suit your needs.:RollEyes:

Nomadic

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
hi Paula

You have had plenty of sugestions and the enclosure that Wildman was referring to is virtually the same as suggested in an earlier post in this thread by golly j. We have two dogs and although we have the windbreak we need to make sure that the skirt is attached to the MH as otherwise they are escape artists! Even with the skirt attached they are always on the lookout for a route out - think they are in the "great escape" lol.

We use the screw into the ground restraints for dogs and find that they are happy on that with their leads attached. we only use it really if we are outside because if we are inside they are usually inside with us!

regards

Kath

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi Paula,

I am also looking for some kind of fence that we could put up around the MH (When we get it!!) and like you I can't find anything simple, lightweight, and not requiring a second mortgage to buy.

In our case we have two big dogs (Newfoundlands) and one of them is a terror when it comes to other dogs and cats (Loves humans 'tho)

So far I'm thinking that the best solution is the wire run between a screw in pole and the wheel with their long leads looped on to this, and then to keep their 'view' of other dogs and cats to a minimum we would use a simple and very lightweight screen.

Still considering all the options 'tho at the moment, and will be interested in what you finally decide.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
My g... do you really get charged by the windbreak ! :Sad:

We go to cl sites or on rallies ,mostly , because of this.
If not you get charged per person , per child , per dog, awning , canopy ( and ours fixes to the side of the MH We dont have to even peg it into the ground !)
and of course the windbreak.
Or windbreaks , if your fencing in your MH.:roflmto:
We have 2 dogs 3 kids , so if you start with all the other paraphernalia it soon adds up.:Eeek:
Dont worry about people thinking you are cruel tying your dog up. Its a rule , and a very good one , IMO .
If you are on a site , all dogs will be tied up. Not just yours. Have you tried using a harness if your dog isn't used to a collar or being tied?

I think that a dog would prefer to be tied , and be able to see.
Rather than be free , looking at brightly colored stripes all day. Make no wonder they try and escape .
Have you thought about the wind breaks with the clear panels in. We have one of those.
They are more expensive, but more sociable too.
You could put just one of those in your fortress, (sorry fence :ROFLMAO:)then your dog could at least see out.
Bev

OP
OP
P

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
A huge thank you to everyone who has posted on this question regarding fence/windbreak/chained/fortress.

It has been a revalation to find so many helpful souls. From the amount of views this thread has received it seems it is something that a few people are interested in (maybe! - or is it just lots of helpful people coming here)

Anyway the results are many and really useful so once again a big thanks everyone. Thought I would jot a few notes here for others and pull together some of the links that people have given me and more (hope it is also Ok to put a few links too)

First of all our little dog doesn't mind too much being tied up - but would rather be loose. She is happier being outside whether with us or without us.
We normally tie her up and this is fine - but on occasion would like to be able to put small fence up so she couuld be loose.
She is fine with other dogs and so on and is not usually an escape artist these days.

If used a fence we would prefer she could see through it so that she is not imprisoned within walls. Hoped to find something free standing for use on handstanding at times.

Cheapest option seems to be the striped windbreaks
you bang these into the ground, so need a mallet. no guy ropes needed mostly. However not sure they go right down to ground level so might have to chop bottom of pole of and re-point - not sure about that would have to view some.

If used these could cut them down to smaller / lower size. Would also have to place one alongside of MH because we dont have a skirt so she could get out underneath the van. (might do this anyway for whatever we use.)

Next best seems to be the purpose built camping windbreaks - metal poles and guy ropes. More epensive and taller so not ideal for our particular purposes.
http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/Windbreaks.html?gclid=CKnPj_WupKECFYYA4wodrwzqxA

Some have windows though - angled to ground - so might work for some but to get enough length on these to have good space might have to get more than one of them - am not sure - would have to go view.
Link Removed

Found one which might be fit the bill as quite long and three sided - gives outside views low down for dogs to see out - which is good - and good value by the look of it too
Link Removed - good value at £29
be interested to know if anyone has seen this and if it looks well made.

Then there are the proper dog enclosures which would not suit us, but might be ideal for some - esp if bigger dogs - but a bit pricey perhaps for some people.
Link Removed

Then finally there is the trellis option which might be a suitable system for us IF I can find suitable supports - preferably self standing for on hard standing. There are plastic and wooden options - some in pretty colours ! :whatthe:

plastic
http://www.yorkgardencentre.co.uk/acatalog/Plastic_Trellis.html#a191
http://www.ukgardensupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Trellis.html

wooden - various heights.
http://www.ukgardenfencing.co.uk/acatalog/Expandable_trellis.html

pretty colours !!!
Link Removed

I think that about covers most options and thanks again everyone.

Will let you know what route we go.

If anyone else uses either a trellis or the blue 3 window one or the stripey one cut down let us know how it goes.

cheers everyone. Really apprecaited the support and suggestions here. Amazing:thumb:
Paula

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back