Do you?/Would you? Full time in a motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by FullTimeDreamer, Aug 21, 2009.

?

All about Fulltimeliving in a motorhome

1. I am a full timer

36 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. I would never live full time in a motorhome

29 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. I will fulltime in the future

30 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. I might consider it in the future

25 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. I might be a part-time fulltimer

42 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. FullTimeDreamer

FullTimeDreamer Read Only Funster

Hello everyone, I am not new to motorhome forums but I am new to this one. (looks very nice here) I am in the process of selling my house and going full time in our motorhome (Roadstar), we are about 90 percent committed but still doing our research we wish to spend summers in the UK and winters somewhere warmer. Are there many full timers here? Is it all just a carefree holiday? or is there things we should know?

Would you consider fulltiming? Would you never do it? why? Are you full timing, what advice can you give. I really hope you can help.

Thank you

2. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: We have been Full-timing one way or another since 1995. BUT, we are in the lucky position that we still own 2 cheap houses that are rented out to family for VERY cheap rent. It is NOT and should NOT be classed as one long holiday. It is a way of life being able to come and go as you please when you please.
    We have seen lot's of people who treated it as an holiday and 2 to 3 years later they were back trying to find somewhere to rent/live. It's not for everyone. Think carefully before making the decision.

However. WE LOVE IT. :thumb:

3. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Suck it and see is my advice :thumb:

Some people it will suit, some people it won't, but you will never know unless you try it..............all I can say is it suits me :BigGrin:

Boo

4. jomel

jomel Read Only Funster

We will be fulltiming soon. We will be obtaining a buy to let on a small place as an investment though so should it all go wrong at least we have a base.
    I cant wait to go.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Three years full time, now planning to go back to a house .. I love travelling but have found full time too stressful .. here's why ..

It's not a holiday .. unless you have a fat pension or have just won the lottery .. life goes on and you still need to support yourself.. albeit may be cheaper than bricks and mortar but it brings it's own problems.. having no fixed abode isn't a recognised form of life in the UK.. without it, you have problems with insurance, vehicle registration, passports, driving license, doctors, dentists, etc etc etc.. yes they can be overcome by telling white lies.. using family address etc .. travelling year in and out is not the same as going away for a few weeks or months.. you don't get a holiday .. being an itinerant, for that is what you will be, brings more problems than many think..

My advice is to think it though very carefully and if at all possible keep a UK base.. it's a lot harder to return than it is to leave..

Once resettled we will resume travelling.. smaller van with broader horizons.

hth

Jim

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hi,I,we,would love to fulltime,but as Jim said,unless you can rely on friends,family etc,for mailing address,and are able to look officialdom in the eye and lie to them,then I can say without doubt it will be difficult to say the least.We have looked at fulltiming in great detail and though we spend most of the year in the van,we cannot suvive without the"letterbox".

7. scotjimland

Good luck,

a base to return to gives some peace of mind, however, unless you can use it as your Home Address you will have the same issues of being of no fixed abode.. consider very carefully.

Hope your plans go well

Jim

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, i live in the truck for about 6months of the year. have been doing it for 11yrs ,always thought i wanted to full time but realised years ago its nice to come home. my advice would be dont go too big on the van,buy some land somewhere put on a static/container box. use it as a base .or buy a small house . lots live in big campers but dont actually travel very much, seems to me to be a very expensive static. i need to get the balance of travelling n living at home ,i think i have it. i would like an indusrial unit with a big yard as my base here may get it one day, need lots space for visitng trucks n campers . have fun its an easy decision to make but could be hard to return a few years down the line. need a big camper to keep all your toys in m,bikes ,cars,boats, etc. cheers alan.

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

one option missing
    I have fulltimed in the past

10. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Yes, we full time

Hi,

We are all different, and there is a lot of good advice in these replies. As full timers since 17 March 2005, we too can say "no". it isnt a holiday, it is a way of life, and a great one.:Smile:

In 2005, we had a Roadstar780. great for two, well built, good power unit etc, however we were taken with the Bessacarr E760 and changed in December 2005.

If you can retain a base of some sort, you will have a "get out of goal card" if you find its not for you. We sold our home, down sized to a small bungalow, put in in the hands of a letting agency, and although the income is lowish, after commisions have been deducted, and tax paid, its still better than the cash languishing in a bank account just now, and we have a retreat to go to when the time comes.:Sad:

I note you say UK summer and a warmer place for winter, consider the best time for the m/h annual service, also adjust its insurance/tax/and other annual renewals to coinside, all whilst you are UK bound, do'nt want to have to return to UK halfway through your winter break for these. :Doh:

You can be "out of the UK" for up to six months without incuring tax liabilities in the "warmer climate". The C&CC "carefree travell service" offer a multi trip insurance policy which allows 183 days overseas cover in any 12 month period. I'm sure others do but its a starting point.

Like others on the fun site, we have our mail go to our daughters, as a mail box, and collect or have it forwarded when required, works well for us.

How did we start, we were campsite managers for 7 years before going full time, and had a couple of years part time full timing, we found it a good way into full timing.

There may be other points that will come to mind, just ask when they do.

Good luck:thumb:

Nomadic

11. ips

ips Read Only Funster

I would full time in a shed tomorow if I could afford to retire........:Rofl1:

Good luck to anyone with a personal pension good enough to susutain it mine wouldnt keep me in cigs let alone anything else.:Laughing:

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

it doesnt matter how big your pension is. if you manage living in a house you can in a van. nobody says fulltimers cant work. i would say there,s as many working as not. there,s work of some description all over the world. if you want to be rich keep dreaming. so long as you have food, diesel, n the wheels turn . its not what you earn its what you spend it on that makes the difference. hats off to the ones that do fulltime and hope they enjoy it for years to come, i like the balance.

13. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Agreed.......:thumb:

14. scotjimland

Some points to ponder ...

Full timing .. not having a home

Dreaming of Full timing ... . Imaginative thoughts indulged in while awake

Freedom.. Just another word for nothing left to lose (famous line from Bobby McGee )

Out of The Rut.. or Off the Rails ?

Talking in clichés or thinking straight .. ?

I dreamed all my life of travelling, freedom with no fixed abode, it took me 55 years to achieve and 3 to decide it wasn't what we wanted .. sad? No , wish I hadn't bothered ? certainly not... we have had some fabulous times, some good adventures and gained a lot of friends.. giving up isn't defeatism, it's a personal choice.. just as setting off was.. but if I do it again I will be wiser, and know the pitfalls.

A Poignant Story>

We met an elderly couple.. mid - late 70s who has been full time for 20 odd years, we got friendly and I helped fix some electrical issues with the van.. We got to talking and they told us when hit the road, they had an expensive RV and plenty of money.

Now they had a really old van, were living on next to nothing and both had developed arthritis.. they were soldiering on but now wished they could go back to a house .. but felt it was too late, they would see their days out in the van.. :Sad:

This made me think, do I really want to end my days alone in a van .. or morel likely leave Jan to go on herself ? It's a sobering thought.

Please consider it very carefully .. as already said, it's a lot easier to go than to come back .. there are many permutations of full timing .. but what ever you decide, it must be sustainable and have an end plan ...

Jim

15. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Well said Jim.

I think every one thinking of fulltiming should read this post before making a decision.

A valid argument from someone who has done it and brave enough to say it's not for me.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

16. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

I wonder if it would be viable for a group of people to buy an existing campsite with a view to each individual to own a plot on it and therefore have an address and base for full timing, the plots could be sub let whilst the owner was abroad, a manager could live on the site full time to administer and receive mail for absent owners, I know similar schemes were started in Spain, but I believe these turned out to be scams, but as we all speak the same language here,and our laws seem clearer I think it could be made to work, what do others think?:thumb::thumb:

17. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I think the main problems are that most insurance companies require more than just an address as proof of where you live, they normally require utility bills etc to prove you do acually live where you say you live, they may not request this information when taking out the policies but may require it in the event of a claim.

You can buy/rent PO Boxes and Mail box addresses but as i said above you may need more than this in the event of a claim.

18. nomadic

nomadic Funster

[/I]
    Hi Vindiboy

1. Have you seen the prices campsites are comanding these days.:Rofl1:

2. It could maybe possible with a co-operative holiday park owner, which has piped LPG to the HPH's, which is paid for on a quarterly basis, should cover the utility bill aspect, but I would also have thought a driving licience would also do the same.:Cool:

3. Its a nice idea, but when will the manager get a chance to go to warmer climates!!

Nomadic

19. scotjimland

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  20. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

i am tablet dependant and get a boxful of medications once a month, best I can get is 3 months as a one off.

I have always said what Jim has now kinda said, when your old its no dream any more.

Plus if your not mechanically minded it can be an expensive (having just been relieved of 3 grand) and not a fulltimer.

I dream of warmer climes for the winter but give up my home, not for me.