Do you?/Would you? Full time in a motorhome (1 Viewer)

All about Fulltimeliving in a motorhome

• I am a full timer

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • I would never live full time in a motorhome

Votes: 29 17.8%
  • I will fulltime in the future

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • I might consider it in the future

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • I might be a part-time fulltimer

Votes: 43 26.4%

• Total voters

FullTimeDreamer

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
Funster No
Hello everyone, I am not new to motorhome forums but I am new to this one. (looks very nice here) I am in the process of selling my house and going full time in our motorhome (Roadstar), we are about 90 percent committed but still doing our research we wish to spend summers in the UK and winters somewhere warmer. Are there many full timers here? Is it all just a carefree holiday? or is there things we should know?

Would you consider fulltiming? Would you never do it? why? Are you full timing, what advice can you give. I really hope you can help.

Thank you

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hello everyone, I am not new to motorhome forums but I am new to this one. (looks very nice here) I am in the process of selling my house and going full time in our motorhome (Roadstar), we are about 90 percent committed but still doing our research we wish to spend summers in the UK and winters somewhere warmer. Are there many full timers here? Is it all just a carefree holiday? or is there things we should know?

Would you consider fulltiming? Would you never do it? why? Are you full timing, what advice can you give. I really hope you can help.

Thank you

:Cool: We have been Full-timing one way or another since 1995. BUT, we are in the lucky position that we still own 2 cheap houses that are rented out to family for VERY cheap rent. It is NOT and should NOT be classed as one long holiday. It is a way of life being able to come and go as you please when you please.
We have seen lot's of people who treated it as an holiday and 2 to 3 years later they were back trying to find somewhere to rent/live. It's not for everyone. Think carefully before making the decision.

However. WE LOVE IT. :thumb:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Suck it and see is my advice :thumb:

Some people it will suit, some people it won't, but you will never know unless you try it..............all I can say is it suits me ::bigsmile:

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
We will be fulltiming soon. We will be obtaining a buy to let on a small place as an investment though so should it all go wrong at least we have a base.
I cant wait to go.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Three years full time, now planning to go back to a house .. I love travelling but have found full time too stressful .. here's why ..

It's not a holiday .. unless you have a fat pension or have just won the lottery .. life goes on and you still need to support yourself.. albeit may be cheaper than bricks and mortar but it brings it's own problems.. having no fixed abode isn't a recognised form of life in the UK.. without it, you have problems with insurance, vehicle registration, passports, driving license, doctors, dentists, etc etc etc.. yes they can be overcome by telling white lies.. using family address etc .. travelling year in and out is not the same as going away for a few weeks or months.. you don't get a holiday .. being an itinerant, for that is what you will be, brings more problems than many think..

My advice is to think it though very carefully and if at all possible keep a UK base.. it's a lot harder to return than it is to leave..

Once resettled we will resume travelling.. smaller van with broader horizons.

hth

Jim

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,I,we,would love to fulltime,but as Jim said,unless you can rely on friends,family etc,for mailing address,and are able to look officialdom in the eye and lie to them,then I can say without doubt it will be difficult to say the least.We have looked at fulltiming in great detail and though we spend most of the year in the van,we cannot suvive without the"letterbox".

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We will be fulltiming soon. We will be obtaining a buy to let on a small place as an investment though so should it all go wrong at least we have a base.
I cant wait to go.

Good luck,

a base to return to gives some peace of mind, however, unless you can use it as your Home Address you will have the same issues of being of no fixed abode.. consider very carefully.

Hope your plans go well

Jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i live in the truck for about 6months of the year. have been doing it for 11yrs ,always thought i wanted to full time but realised years ago its nice to come home. my advice would be dont go too big on the van,buy some land somewhere put on a static/container box. use it as a base .or buy a small house . lots live in big campers but dont actually travel very much, seems to me to be a very expensive static. i need to get the balance of travelling n living at home ,i think i have it. i would like an indusrial unit with a big yard as my base here may get it one day, need lots space for visitng trucks n campers . have fun its an easy decision to make but could be hard to return a few years down the line. need a big camper to keep all your toys in m,bikes ,cars,boats, etc. cheers alan.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes, we full time

Thank you

Hi,

We are all different, and there is a lot of good advice in these replies. As full timers since 17 March 2005, we too can say "no". it isnt a holiday, it is a way of life, and a great one.:Smile:

In 2005, we had a Roadstar780. great for two, well built, good power unit etc, however we were taken with the Bessacarr E760 and changed in December 2005.

If you can retain a base of some sort, you will have a "get out of goal card" if you find its not for you. We sold our home, down sized to a small bungalow, put in in the hands of a letting agency, and although the income is lowish, after commisions have been deducted, and tax paid, its still better than the cash languishing in a bank account just now, and we have a retreat to go to when the time comes.:Sad:

I note you say UK summer and a warmer place for winter, consider the best time for the m/h annual service, also adjust its insurance/tax/and other annual renewals to coinside, all whilst you are UK bound, do'nt want to have to return to UK halfway through your winter break for these. :Doh:

You can be "out of the UK" for up to six months without incuring tax liabilities in the "warmer climate". The C&CC "carefree travell service" offer a multi trip insurance policy which allows 183 days overseas cover in any 12 month period. I'm sure others do but its a starting point.

Like others on the fun site, we have our mail go to our daughters, as a mail box, and collect or have it forwarded when required, works well for us.

How did we start, we were campsite managers for 7 years before going full time, and had a couple of years part time full timing, we found it a good way into full timing.

There may be other points that will come to mind, just ask when they do.

Good luck:thumb:

Nomadic

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I would full time in a shed tomorow if I could afford to retire........:ROFLMAO:

Good luck to anyone with a personal pension good enough to susutain it mine wouldnt keep me in cigs let alone anything else.:roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it doesnt matter how big your pension is. if you manage living in a house you can in a van. nobody says fulltimers cant work. i would say there,s as many working as not. there,s work of some description all over the world. if you want to be rich keep dreaming. so long as you have food, diesel, n the wheels turn . its not what you earn its what you spend it on that makes the difference. hats off to the ones that do fulltime and hope they enjoy it for years to come, i like the balance.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Some points to ponder ...

Full timing .. not having a home

Dreaming of Full timing ... . Imaginative thoughts indulged in while awake

Freedom.. Just another word for nothing left to lose (famous line from Bobby McGee )

Out of The Rut.. or Off the Rails ?

Talking in clichés or thinking straight .. ?

I dreamed all my life of travelling, freedom with no fixed abode, it took me 55 years to achieve and 3 to decide it wasn't what we wanted .. sad? No , wish I hadn't bothered ? certainly not... we have had some fabulous times, some good adventures and gained a lot of friends.. giving up isn't defeatism, it's a personal choice.. just as setting off was.. but if I do it again I will be wiser, and know the pitfalls.

A Poignant Story>

We met an elderly couple.. mid - late 70s who has been full time for 20 odd years, we got friendly and I helped fix some electrical issues with the van.. We got to talking and they told us when hit the road, they had an expensive RV and plenty of money.

Now they had a really old van, were living on next to nothing and both had developed arthritis.. they were soldiering on but now wished they could go back to a house .. but felt it was too late, they would see their days out in the van.. :Sad:

This made me think, do I really want to end my days alone in a van .. or morel likely leave Jan to go on herself ? It's a sobering thought.

Please consider it very carefully .. as already said, it's a lot easier to go than to come back .. there are many permutations of full timing .. but what ever you decide, it must be sustainable and have an end plan ...

Jim

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Well said Jim.

I think every one thinking of fulltiming should read this post before making a decision.

A valid argument from someone who has done it and brave enough to say it's not for me.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I wonder if it would be viable for a group of people to buy an existing campsite with a view to each individual to own a plot on it and therefore have an address and base for full timing, the plots could be sub let whilst the owner was abroad, a manager could live on the site full time to administer and receive mail for absent owners, I know similar schemes were started in Spain, but I believe these turned out to be scams, but as we all speak the same language here,and our laws seem clearer I think it could be made to work, what do others think?:thumb::thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but I think the main problems are that most insurance companies require more than just an address as proof of where you live, they normally require utility bills etc to prove you do acually live where you say you live, they may not request this information when taking out the policies but may require it in the event of a claim.

You can buy/rent PO Boxes and Mail box addresses but as i said above you may need more than this in the event of a claim.

I wonder if it would be viable for a group of people to buy an existing campsite with a view to each individual to own a plot on it and therefore have an address and base for full timing, the plots could be sub let whilst the owner was abroad, a manager could live on the site full time to administer and receive mail for absent owners, I know similar schemes were started in Spain, but I believe these turned out to be scams, but as we all speak the same language here,and our laws seem clearer I think it could be made to work, what do others think?:thumb::thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
[/I]

Hi Vindiboy

1. Have you seen the prices campsites are comanding these days.:ROFLMAO:

2. It could maybe possible with a co-operative holiday park owner, which has piped LPG to the HPH's, which is paid for on a quarterly basis, should cover the utility bill aspect, but I would also have thought a driving licience would also do the same.:Cool:

3. Its a nice idea, but when will the manager get a chance to go to warmer climates!!

Nomadic

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sounds a good idea but the biggest hurdle is the 28day rule.. planning permission would be required to stay longer.

Here is a CS for sale with five pitches, metered leccy, etc .. £40k
Link Removed

Perhaps a new thread for this topic ?

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i am tablet dependant and get a boxful of medications once a month, best I can get is 3 months as a one off.

I have always said what Jim has now kinda said, when your old its no dream any more.

Plus if your not mechanically minded it can be an expensive (having just been relieved of 3 grand) and not a fulltimer.

I dream of warmer climes for the winter but give up my home, not for me.

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
<snip> they normally require utility bills etc to prove you do acually live where you say you live,</snip>

So how do fulltimers who don't own or rent bricks and mortar handle this problem?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most prescription drugs can be bought in most countries abroad. in europe they can use your repeat prescription just like here. or over counter in some. cant think of a time an insurance company would require a utility bill. you might live in someones house as a border. lots of people do live on sites that close for one month ,lots down here. seems like a good idea could have communal garage etc , mmmmmmmm looks like some could be busy all summer. sounds more like a travellers rest . do we have to buy in or just take over some moorland or something.any women make pegs?could make a shilling with old washing machines n signposts. cheers alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So how do fulltimers who don't own or rent bricks and mortar handle this problem?

Better not said on an open forum ... if anyone needs advice of this nature it's best done by PM .. If an insurance company gets the wind that your a fulltimer and you haven't declared ...... :Doh:

Full time MH insurance without a post code doesn't exist .... if you use a friends or relatives without declaring your lifestyle you are in danger of voiding your policy.. it's a high risk strategy, by not declaring you are in breach of the contract ..

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
most prescription drugs can be bought in most countries abroad. in europe they can use your repeat prescription just like here. or over counter in some.

But some of my stuff cost a fortune in the UK (glad i have paid all my taxes:Smile::winky:) so abroad???

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I agree with most people here - particularly where they say everyones needs or circumstance are different. We are fulltiming by choice - we have our own business and our daughter and son in law are both involved with it - we are of retiring age and if it were not for the current economic state would have considered just fading into the sunset but sadly with savings earning nothing and pensions and endowments not returning to target we were faced with selling the business and destroying the family life or continuing to work in a reduced format so that we can be on hand to assist - in real terms we are now traveling the country seeking new customers for the business - making sure the existing ones are happy and above all enjoying ourselves. It means we seldom have the old 6.00am to 8pm routine any more - we lead a more relaxed life but still have a purpose behind it - we also have a parking facility for the RV when we have to go back to base for a day or so. Certainly not a holiday very much a way of life - if I did not do this I dont know how long I would want to full time for - I would have to have a planned journey or purpose - not just wander aimlessly - that would drive me loopy. For me just a few years to 70 will be the crunch time when I have to make a decision - will my health allow me to still hold my license to continue to tow a 5'er - my wife is tablet dependent and although we could fudge getting supplies she needs regular checkups and lets face it we do not know what challenges are around the corner - we also have elderly relatives that have to be considered if we went abroad for extended periods. We planned extensively for 2 years before taking the plunge and before we commited we planned at least one exit strategy should the need arise.

If you want to full time do it - we have met some very happy and positive people who full time BUT the common thing about them all was they all had a plan some were using to go between short term contracts - a couple were nurses who could not afford to buy a house and lived in the van in the hospital grounds for their 4 day 12 hours shifts then either went surfing or home to Mum for 3 days before doing the next 4 days . One life - live it - but be carefull and plan it

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi landy lover so long as you keep your b+e licence use a tow vehicle below 3,500kg you can tow any wht of trailer as long as its within the trainweight.cheers alan.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Full time MH insurance without a post code doesn't exist .... if you use a friends or relatives without declaring your lifestyle you are in danger of voiding your policy.. it's a high risk strategy, by not declaring you are in breach of the contract ..
This has to be the major obstacle for most considering true fulltiming (not owning a property and living 365 days of the year in a mh). It's an issue which has been discussed on a variety of threads on here, once even attracting interest from some insurance bod. Opinions and views vary with some saying you can't do this or that, whilst others will disagree.

Personally i cannot see why an insurance policy cannot be provided for anyone of 'no fixed abode'. Not sure how gypsies and traveller people go on who want to insure their caravan, some of which are very expensive items to lose to theft or fire, but that question has been raised though never really settled on a positive answer.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
hi landy lover so long as you keep your b+e licence use a tow vehicle below 3,500kg you can tow any wht of trailer as long as its within the trainweight.cheers alan.

As I understand it at 70 you need an annual Medical to continue to tow anything with a train over 3.5 tonnes and any medical condition involving heart or insulin dependancy can put your license at risk depending on the severity - as I said we never know what is around the corner. A pal of mine has type two diabetis and although able to drive he cannot tow although I must admit I am uncertain if this is license or insurance issue in his case.

Going off on a slight tangent here this forum is very interesting and has a wealth of knowledge so it fasinated me there must be people from DVLA and VOSA that are members just by the law of averages- why on earth do they keep their heads below the parapet ?? why dont they come forward and give the accurate info

1 they don't know themselves

2 they watch and use this as a source of ideas for stops

any other thoughts

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
<snip> Not sure how gypsies and traveller people go on who want to insure their caravan, some of which are very expensive items to lose to theft or fire, </snip>

We were just discussing this too! If it's not possible to get fulltiming insurance then technically they're uninsured, and if that were the case then surely the police would just round them up en masse!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its a very difficult question and as many answers ,if you were to rent a room at a friends house for a token payment how can it be not ok. no tax to pay on rent a room scheme. who says you have to be there every day?every question asked can have several answers or make way for another question .you can open your own insurance if you are that rich. i believe some showmen /travellers have a scheme abit like showmans guild or something.also alot of faigrounds have a base to return to. think about the questions hard you will see the answers. cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back