Do you use your Dometic oven?

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Hils and Glenns, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

Are they useless or is it just me? Maybe I haven't given it much chance. I've tried to heat up a pie and it took forever and wasn't very hot. I've tried toast and it just dried out the bread. Its an oven on top of the fridge freezer. I think its all one unit. If it wasn't I would take it out and put a microwave in its place. Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with ours or are they all like that?

2. castor

castor Funster

Came to same conclusion as you , just changed van and did not bother with the oven, Are you sure one unit ?I thought was seperate.
    Enjoy.

3. Printermick

Printermick Funster

We use ours quite often, very good at heating supermarket ready made meals. Only up to gas mark 6 so not to good for bread or pizzas but would not do without ours.

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I assume the OP has a 'tech tower' one which were all the rage a few years ago as it was easier for the manufacturers to install them but they were stupid as you needed to be at least 6'6" to see into them and getting stuff in/out was a safety inspector's nightmare.

5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

We used to have a separate Dometic oven (without grill) in our last motorhome. It worked reasonably well. Our new motorhome has the TEC tower oven with grill, which comes as one unit with the fridge. I think they are joined together, but whether they are or not they are sold as one unit and have one model number and handbook to cover both fridge and oven.

We have tried the oven and it heated up a ready meal OK (what we use it for mainly). However the toaster was next to useless.

With regards to Printermick's post the numbers on the dial are not equivalent to the old "gas mark" system, which merely regulated the flow of gas. The oven has a thermostat, which reduces the gas flow to effectively a pilot light when a set temperature is met. The instructions give the set temperatures for each number ranging from 130C for 1 up to 240C for 6, which is as hot as you want for an oven in a motorhome!

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

That is because some converters installed them off the floor. Ours sits on the floor and the oven is very conveniently at eye height.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I think they are still fitting them in new vans though Mel and I have heard a lot of people say they are not much good, I'm not the cook in or van but do use the microwave quite a lot (we don't have oven) and would have a microwave over an oven any day.

Martin

8. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I have a Thetford one which works fine!

9. Minxy Girl

They may still be fitting them due to the ease of doing so, but at one point just about every manufacturer was using them, regardless of the suitability of doing so (ie over a wheel arch so they are too high). If I had to choose between a microwave and an oven/grill I'd go for the latter simply because we don't use sites so no hook up! In reality though I don't want either!

10. Minxy Girl

You're one of the 'lucky' ones - I remember that there was a right hoohar about some that were very dangerous to use due to their being too high up and also that the ceiling of the MH got very hot due to the close proximity of the oven.

Being at eye height, whilst good to view the stuff cooking, doesn't make for 'safe' removal of hot stuff though IMV.

11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

The oven in our last motorhome was high up (not in a TEC tower) and the oven door dropped down. The ceiling has a protective stainless steel shield on in front of it. Good oven but, as you say, dangerous to reach in to use. In fact only I could use it and my wife was happy with that because it meant I did the cooking.

The new oven is much lower and, more importantly, the door lifts up and out of the way rather than down. That means you are not trying to reach in over a hot door. It is at about the same height as our top built in oven at home. It is very easy and safe to use. Even my wife (who is about 5' 4") can use it without any danger. Mind you I still end up doing the cooking!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ha Ha, we don't need hook up for the microwave.

Martin

13. Minxy Girl

Maybe not but we've got a PVC and can go to places you can't get to .... nah nah, na, nah nahhhhhhh! :D

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

Hi All, thanks for your thoughts. The oven is too high for me (5ft 4ins) I have a step stool so I can see in. The door on it lifts up. I am fairly sure its all one unit because the controls for the fridge and oven are all together. Do you think the heat would affect the freezer as its on top of it?

15. Minxy Girl

As the oven is on top and it's a purpose made 'single' unit there will be sufficient insulation to prevent the heat causing problems for the contents of the freezer so don't worry about that. Some ovens are just naff though - we've had a Smev one and it was totally useless!

16. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

can you toast in a microwave?

we do have one , used very occasionally -great at heating up naans or for keeping breakfast warm e.g. bacon whilst cooking the eggs
    Mainly use as an extra larder to put bread and fruit bowl in whilst travelling and have a cadac bbq with skillet etc for most things - even in winter and skiing!

That said would not be without it

17. Fletton

Fletton Funster

As I've said on a previous thread....

"Mine is small ( oven/grill - that is!.. ) sat above freezer!.. but have used it in anger a few times... And it met my expectations - for it's size..."

Whilst it may be shite for cooking a Turkey for 12... It cooks stuff for four adequately ... ( in a camping situation)... I am chief cook and bottle washer - and have been for many years

I think the secret with them is to cook "tray bake" stuff.. I.e shallow food spread over whole area of tray as opposed to a thick side of beef :)

I treat mine like I treat the small top oven/grill on the cooker at home... :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

We have the Tec tower unit fitted above a drawer, which makes access to the oven difficult, however we do use it for roasting in relatively shallow dishes, we have roasted a whole small chicken, spare ribs, roast veg, lasagna and other things at different times.
    Appart from the access issue, the oven works OK, it is hotter at the back so you need to rotate what you are cooking.
    We had to reinforce the supports fitting aluminium brackets underneath (see a previous Techno thread).
    Cheers
    Ed

19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I can't see why the OP can't make toast in it. Ours takes a while to warm up when on the grill setting but then produces toast very quickly.

The control knob goes in two directions, one way for oven and the other for the grill - and use a tray and rack of course for toast!

• Like Like x 2
  20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Interesting. We tried making toast and it came out awful - more like dried bread! Maybe were doing it wrong. So how long do you leave the grill to heat up? And how far away from the grill did you have it?