Do you use your Dometic oven? (1 Viewer)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Are they useless or is it just me? Maybe I haven't given it much chance. I've tried to heat up a pie and it took forever and wasn't very hot. I've tried toast and it just dried out the bread. Its an oven on top of the fridge freezer. I think its all one unit. If it wasn't I would take it out and put a microwave in its place. Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with ours or are they all like that?

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
Came to same conclusion as you , just changed van and did not bother with the oven, Are you sure one unit ?I thought was seperate.
Enjoy.

Printermick

Free Member
Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
We use ours quite often, very good at heating supermarket ready made meals. Only up to gas mark 6 so not to good for bread or pizzas but would not do without ours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Came to same conclusion as you , just changed van and did not bother with the oven, Are you sure one unit ?I thought was seperate.
Enjoy.
I assume the OP has a 'tech tower' one which were all the rage a few years ago as it was easier for the manufacturers to install them but they were stupid as you needed to be at least 6'6" to see into them and getting stuff in/out was a safety inspector's nightmare.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We used to have a separate Dometic oven (without grill) in our last motorhome. It worked reasonably well. Our new motorhome has the TEC tower oven with grill, which comes as one unit with the fridge. I think they are joined together, but whether they are or not they are sold as one unit and have one model number and handbook to cover both fridge and oven.

We have tried the oven and it heated up a ready meal OK (what we use it for mainly). However the toaster was next to useless.

With regards to Printermick's post the numbers on the dial are not equivalent to the old "gas mark" system, which merely regulated the flow of gas. The oven has a thermostat, which reduces the gas flow to effectively a pilot light when a set temperature is met. The instructions give the set temperatures for each number ranging from 130C for 1 up to 240C for 6, which is as hot as you want for an oven in a motorhome!

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I assume the OP has a 'tech tower' one which were all the rage a few years ago as it was easier for the manufacturers to install them but they were stupid as you needed to be at least 6'6" to see into them and getting stuff in/out was a safety inspector's nightmare.
That is because some converters installed them off the floor. Ours sits on the floor and the oven is very conveniently at eye height.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think they are still fitting them in new vans though Mel and I have heard a lot of people say they are not much good, I'm not the cook in or van but do use the microwave quite a lot (we don't have oven) and would have a microwave over an oven any day.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think they are still fitting them in new vans though Mel and I have heard a lot of people say they are not much good, I'm not the cook in or van but do use the microwave quite a lot (we don't have oven) and would have a microwave over an oven any day.

Martin
They may still be fitting them due to the ease of doing so, but at one point just about every manufacturer was using them, regardless of the suitability of doing so (ie over a wheel arch so they are too high). If I had to choose between a microwave and an oven/grill I'd go for the latter simply because we don't use sites so no hook up! In reality though I don't want either!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That is because some converters installed them off the floor. Ours sits on the floor and the oven is very conveniently at eye height.
You're one of the 'lucky' ones - I remember that there was a right hoohar about some that were very dangerous to use due to their being too high up and also that the ceiling of the MH got very hot due to the close proximity of the oven.

Being at eye height, whilst good to view the stuff cooking, doesn't make for 'safe' removal of hot stuff though IMV.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You're one of the 'lucky' ones - I remember that there was a right hoohar about some that were very dangerous to use due to their being too high up and also that the ceiling of the MH got very hot due to the close proximity of the oven.

Being at eye height, whilst good to view the stuff cooking, doesn't make for 'safe' removal of hot stuff though IMV.
The oven in our last motorhome was high up (not in a TEC tower) and the oven door dropped down. The ceiling has a protective stainless steel shield on in front of it. Good oven but, as you say, dangerous to reach in to use. In fact only I could use it and my wife was happy with that because it meant I did the cooking.

The new oven is much lower and, more importantly, the door lifts up and out of the way rather than down. That means you are not trying to reach in over a hot door. It is at about the same height as our top built in oven at home. It is very easy and safe to use. Even my wife (who is about 5' 4") can use it without any danger. Mind you I still end up doing the cooking!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They may still be fitting them due to the ease of doing so, but at one point just about every manufacturer was using them, regardless of the suitability of doing so (ie over a wheel arch so they are too high). If I had to choose between a microwave and an oven/grill I'd go for the latter simply because we don't use sites so no hook up! In reality though I don't want either!
Ha Ha, we don't need hook up for the microwave.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ha Ha, we don't need hook up for the microwave.

Martin
Maybe not but we've got a PVC and can go to places you can't get to .... nah nah, na, nah nahhhhhhh! :D

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi All, thanks for your thoughts. The oven is too high for me (5ft 4ins) I have a step stool so I can see in. The door on it lifts up. I am fairly sure its all one unit because the controls for the fridge and oven are all together. Do you think the heat would affect the freezer as its on top of it?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi All, thanks for your thoughts. The oven is too high for me (5ft 4ins) I have a step stool so I can see in. The door on it lifts up. I am fairly sure its all one unit because the controls for the fridge and oven are all together. Do you think the heat would affect the freezer as its on top of it?
As the oven is on top and it's a purpose made 'single' unit there will be sufficient insulation to prevent the heat causing problems for the contents of the freezer so don't worry about that. Some ovens are just naff though - we've had a Smev one and it was totally useless!

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I've tried toast and it just dried out the bread.

I would take it out and put a microwave in its place. Any thoughts?

can you toast in a microwave?

we do have one , used very occasionally -great at heating up naans or for keeping breakfast warm e.g. bacon whilst cooking the eggs
Mainly use as an extra larder to put bread and fruit bowl in whilst travelling and have a cadac bbq with skillet etc for most things - even in winter and skiing!

That said would not be without it

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
As I've said on a previous thread....

"Mine is small ( oven/grill - that is!.. ) sat above freezer!.. but have used it in anger a few times... And it met my expectations - for it's size..."

Whilst it may be shite for cooking a Turkey for 12... It cooks stuff for four adequately ... ( in a camping situation)... I am chief cook and bottle washer - and have been for many years

I think the secret with them is to cook "tray bake" stuff.. I.e shallow food spread over whole area of tray as opposed to a thick side of beef :)

I treat mine like I treat the small top oven/grill on the cooker at home... :)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We have the Tec tower unit fitted above a drawer, which makes access to the oven difficult, however we do use it for roasting in relatively shallow dishes, we have roasted a whole small chicken, spare ribs, roast veg, lasagna and other things at different times.
Appart from the access issue, the oven works OK, it is hotter at the back so you need to rotate what you are cooking.
We had to reinforce the supports fitting aluminium brackets underneath (see a previous Techno thread).
Cheers
Ed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't see why the OP can't make toast in it. Ours takes a while to warm up when on the grill setting but then produces toast very quickly.

The control knob goes in two directions, one way for oven and the other for the grill - and use a tray and rack of course for toast!

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can't see why the OP can't make toast in it. Ours takes a while to warm up when on the grill setting but then produces toast very quickly.

The control knob goes in two directions, one way for oven and the other for the grill - and use a tray and rack of course for toast!
Interesting. We tried making toast and it came out awful - more like dried bread! Maybe were doing it wrong. So how long do you leave the grill to heat up? And how far away from the grill did you have it?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting. We tried making toast and it came out awful - more like dried bread! Maybe were doing it wrong. So how long do you leave the grill to heat up? And how far away from the grill did you have it?
We can put the bread in as soon as it is lit but the first slice always takes a lot longer than the second batch. Never timed it but it can catch you out and burn the bread.

The rack is probably about two inches below the grill flames.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We can put the bread in as soon as it is lit but the first slice always takes a lot longer than the second batch. Never timed it but it can catch you out and burn the bread.

The rack is probably about two inches below the grill flames.
Thanks. Maybe we should try again and see if we can do better.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks. Maybe we should try again and see if we can do better.
That's what I'm thinking having read all the posts on here. Maybe I haven't been patient enough with it. We take a halogen oven with us now, but obviously there are times when we haven't got a hook up so it would be good if it was useable. We've got a cadac as well. If I got a microwave we would end up with every type of cooker but none that does it all.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just bought a new Hymer with tech tower, fingers crossed:)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We use ours as normal find oven very good for our needs. most adventurous being is roasting lamb shanks .the grill is a little slow .but to toast .
we use gas ring or a small griddle over hob.
We have a micro wave but haven't bothered
with it much last year as found I could manage without it.
we also have a cadac which is useful.

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Are they useless or is it just me? Maybe I haven't given it much chance. I've tried to heat up a pie and it took forever and wasn't very hot. I've tried toast and it just dried out the bread. Its an oven on top of the fridge freezer. I think its all one unit. If it wasn't I would take it out and put a microwave in its place. Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with ours or are they all like that?
We have a TecTower oven without grill. Apart from the fact that it's over the wheel arch (and therefore I have to stand on a step stool to use it :RollEyes: ), it works fairly well. Takes about 20 mins to get up to temperature.

I use an oven thermometer as the temperature markings on the control knob are complete fiction. Make sure you open the oven door for as short a time as possible. Being a very small oven it has a low thermal capacity and any heat lost is slow to be regained. One of us opens the oven door and the other promptly puts the food inside. :Smile:

When we are on hook-up we tend to use the Remoska instead of the oven to save on gas, and use a low-wattage toaster for toast.

When we are off hook-up we use the oven a lot, and use one of those small box grill thingies (can't think of the correct name) that sit on the hob for toast.

Ways and means! ::bigsmile:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have a Dometic Tec Tower (without grill)
We regularly use the oven to bake bread and to cook pizza
Seems to heat up quickly and achieve a high temperature, though to be fair we do tend to cook everything on level 6

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
As the oven is on top and it's a purpose made 'single' unit there will be sufficient insulation to prevent the heat causing problems for the contents of the freezer so don't worry about that. Some ovens are just naff though - we've had a Smev one and it was totally useless!
Having had cause to remove the Dometic Tec Tower to clean the flue on the fridge I can confirm that the ridiculous oven on the top was indeed a Smev unit rebadged.
Totally useless.
Ours is used to store our Tupperware and sundry kitchen utensils but I would rather have a proper cupboard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Having had cause to remove the Dometic Tec Tower to clean the flue on the fridge I can confirm that the ridiculous oven on the top was indeed a Smev unit rebadged.
Totally useless.
Ours is used to store our Tupperware and sundry kitchen utensils but I would rather have a proper cupboard.
Now why am I NOT surprised! The grill in the Smevs we've had have always been abysmal ... they 'worry' bread rather than toast it! The ONLY time we ever really used it was to grill the top of a pizza and for that it was less than an inch from the flames - using a breadboard or metal baking trays meant we could get it high up so was a bit quicker and didn't use so much gas. Still pathetic though!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back