Do you need a TV Licence? Read this because you may not...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bryan, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

I remember being told that if you OWN a device capable of receiving TV signals then you MUST have a TV licence.

It seems that this may not now be the case (if it ever was).

If you only use a TV (or other device capable of receiving TV signals) ONLY for playing DVD's, playing computer games etc. and NOT for watching TV then you can make a declaration to that fact and do without a TV licence.

In fact, if you watch TV shows on your TV or computer but only by using catch-up services like BBC I-player or Channel 4OD you still don't need a licence.

To quote TV Licencing...
    (I put the bold on the sentence)

Want to find out more?

CLICK HERE!

Bryan

• Like Like x 3
  2. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The important bit is the first line:

"Once you are sure you will not watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV, using any device"

My bold and underlining to emphasise.

So you cannot watch live TV via any source or record live TV via any source without a licence. Someone else recording progs and giving you the recordings to watch later avoids the licensing issue but falls foul of copyright issues.

D.

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Interesting, if you receive your tv by Sky it is around a second behind the terrestrial signal, so could it be interpreted as catch up tv?

• Like Like x 2
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What brought that on ? Have the BBC's storm troopers taken to knocking on doors in Spain ?

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If you go down this route make sure you do NOT have an aerial connected or one capable of being connected .. they do check up ..

Frankly, I find it hard to believe anyone spends several hundred pounds on a TV and never watches a live broadcast .. I say that as we have a neighbour who has no license and is quite open about it, claiming they don't watch TV .. I know for a fact they do..

6. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Thats like prosecuting someone with a car for speeding just because they own a car that is capable of breaking the speed limit !

As soon as we dump the BBC and put them on a commericial basis the same as everyone else the better.....a bunch of left wing wasters !

barry:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

The detector van could catch them and prove it . I would never take the risk :Eeek:

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ummmm
    having been in a few so called detector vans over the years I can assure you it is all toffee

Some very impressive bits of machinery inside but basically print outs of all the address's that have not got a licence.
    At least nowadays said address's are not on paper but on a lappy !

They did try detecting the local oscillator at one time, then the IF.. hell, they even tried detecting the RF emitted by the LOPTi for a while .. All of that works after a fashion but you have to be REALLY REALLY close to the set and it has to be on too

How they used to do it was simply look through a window or listen through the letter box ( how high tech is THAT then ! LOL ! ) which they used to perpetuate the myth as they could tell the errant licencee what channel they had been watching !

• Like Like x 1
  9. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

That'll be us! :BigGrin:

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I don't pay them a penny :Smile:

11. scotjimland

I think it is more like having an unlicensed shotgun and saying it's just for decoration.. :RollEyes:

As for the BBC, .. even if scrapped tomorrow they wouldn't scrap the license .. it's a big earner.. just as VED isn't spent on the roads..

12. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I have no idea what any of the above means but really believed those 1980s ads when the men in the van could see what channel you were watching. You mean they lied?????:Eeek:
    If you watched live TV on a laptop would you need a licence?

13. scotjimland

yes

14. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

My mind went there as well, :Smile::Laughing::Wink::BigGrin::Rofl1::Sad::RollEyes::cry::Cool::Doh::Blush::shout::Angry::Eek!::thumb::Eeek: I didnt really need to use those icons wid da smily faces..they just caught my eye so I thought id giv em a go....that jims a cleva guy all dem iccle santas