Do you need a TV Licence? Read this because you may not... (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I remember being told that if you OWN a device capable of receiving TV signals then you MUST have a TV licence.

It seems that this may not now be the case (if it ever was).

If you only use a TV (or other device capable of receiving TV signals) ONLY for playing DVD's, playing computer games etc. and NOT for watching TV then you can make a declaration to that fact and do without a TV licence.

In fact, if you watch TV shows on your TV or computer but only by using catch-up services like BBC I-player or Channel 4OD you still don't need a licence.

To quote TV Licencing...
If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device, you don’t need a TV Licence.
(I put the bold on the sentence)

Want to find out more?

Broken Link Removed

Bryan

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The important bit is the first line:

"Once you are sure you will not watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV, using any device"

My bold and underlining to emphasise.

So you cannot watch live TV via any source or record live TV via any source without a licence. Someone else recording progs and giving you the recordings to watch later avoids the licensing issue but falls foul of copyright issues.

D.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting, if you receive your tv by Sky it is around a second behind the terrestrial signal, so could it be interpreted as catch up tv?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I remember being told that if you OWN a device capable of receiving TV signals then you MUST have a TV licence.

What brought that on ? Have the BBC's storm troopers taken to knocking on doors in Spain ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If you go down this route make sure you do NOT have an aerial connected or one capable of being connected .. they do check up ..

As it is our duty to ensure that everyone in the UK who needs a licence has one, we may visit your address to check that no licence is required. It's unfortunately necessary to do this, as when we make contact on these visits, almost one in five people are found to need a TV Licence. Please be assured that this is a routine visit, and will take no more than a few minutes. If we find during the visit that you do in fact need a licence, you'll need to pay the full licence fee, and you could risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe anyone spends several hundred pounds on a TV and never watches a live broadcast .. I say that as we have a neighbour who has no license and is quite open about it, claiming they don't watch TV .. I know for a fact they do..

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
If you go down this route make sure you do NOT have an aerial connected or one capable of being connected .. they do check up ..

Thats like prosecuting someone with a car for speeding just because they own a car that is capable of breaking the speed limit !

As soon as we dump the BBC and put them on a commericial basis the same as everyone else the better.....a bunch of left wing wasters !

barry:Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Frankly, I find it hard to believe anyone spends several hundred pounds on a TV and never watches a live broadcast .. I say that as we have a neighbour who has no license and is quite open about it, claiming they don't watch TV .. I know for a fact they do..

The detector van could catch them and prove it . I would never take the risk :Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummmm
having been in a few so called detector vans over the years I can assure you it is all toffee

Some very impressive bits of machinery inside but basically print outs of all the address's that have not got a licence.
At least nowadays said address's are not on paper but on a lappy !

They did try detecting the local oscillator at one time, then the IF.. hell, they even tried detecting the RF emitted by the LOPTi for a while .. All of that works after a fashion but you have to be REALLY REALLY close to the set and it has to be on too

How they used to do it was simply look through a window or listen through the letter box ( how high tech is THAT then ! LOL ! ) which they used to perpetuate the myth as they could tell the errant licencee what channel they had been watching !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thats like prosecuting someone with a car for speeding just because they own a car that is capable of breaking the speed limit !

As soon as we dump the BBC and put them on a commericial basis the same as everyone else the better.....a bunch of left wing wasters !

barry:Smile:

I think it is more like having an unlicensed shotgun and saying it's just for decoration.. :RollEyes:

As for the BBC, .. even if scrapped tomorrow they wouldn't scrap the license .. it's a big earner.. just as VED isn't spent on the roads..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Ummmm
having been in a few so called detector vans over the years I can assure you it is all toffee

Some very impressive bits of machinery inside but basically print outs of all the address's that have not got a licence.
At least nowadays said address's are not on paper but on a lappy !

They did try detecting the local oscillator at one time, then the [HI]IF..[/HI] hell, they even tried detecting the[HI] RF[/HI] emitted by the [HI]LOPTi [/HI]for a while .. All of that works after a fashion but you have to be REALLY REALLY close to the set and it has to be on too

How they used to do it was simply look through a window or listen through the letter box ( how high tech is THAT then ! LOL ! ) which they used to perpetuate the myth as they could tell the errant licencee what channel they had been watching !

I have no idea what any of the above means but really believed those 1980s ads when the men in the van could see what channel you were watching. You mean they lied?????:Eeek:
If you watched live TV on a laptop would you need a licence?

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Interesting, if you receive your tv by Sky it is around a second behind the terrestrial signal, so could it be interpreted as catch up tv?

My mind went there as well, :Smile::roflmto::winky:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::Sad::RollEyes::cry::Cool::Doh::Blush::shout::Angry::whatthe::thumb::Eeek: I didnt really need to use those icons wid da smily faces..they just caught my eye so I thought id giv em a go....that jims a cleva guy all dem iccle santas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back