Do you ever get your wheels checked?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Robert Clark, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

As the owner of a new motorhome, getting my wheels checked was the last thing on my mind.

After our first 'proper' trip, I felt as if there was a little too much vibration coming up through the steering wheel. I took the van to a local commercial tyre depot who discovered that the wheels, though new, had not been correctly balanced. They re balanced the wheels, which resulted in a dramatic reduction in the vibration that I had been experiencing - vibration problem solved

Having driven a few thousand more miles, I felt that the steering still wasn't quite 'right' and decided to not only sort out the tyre pressures, but also wheel alignment. A quick visit to the local weighbridge and an email to the tyre manufacturer concluded that, not only was the motorhome manufacturers recommended tyre pressures totally inaccurate, but those suggested by the dealer, were just as bad. Having adjusted the tyres to the correct pressure for the weight of the vehicle, another marked improvement in ride quality came about.

The biggest improvement came about today, when I got the wheel alignment checked and adjusted. The advice from the tyre depot was to get the alignment checked every 6 months.
    The improvement was quite astounding, and I felt as if the van was driving better than it had ever done since new.

I'm confident that a little time and money spent sorting out the correct tyre pressures, balancing and wheel alignment, will not only result in a much more pleasurable, safer, more comfortable ride, but the saving in fuel will cover the costs incurred.

When was the last time you got your wheels checked?

Robert

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We had a similar situation on a new car, whilst we didn't notice any issues with the driving we did notice that one of the front tyres was wearing unevenly, it turned out the tracking was out!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I changed the tyes on mine to 4 season tyres, fitted Hankook RA10's which other funsters have said give a great ride. At first a hard ride with a lot of vibration no problems with steering like Robert. Ride gradually got better and wasn't bad by 500 miles, but I was still convinced it wasn't as good as the Conti Vanco Camper that were on before. Before our Greece trip I had the wheels balanced and reduced the tyre pressures by 5 psi, now it ride as good if not better than the Conti's.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wingman

wingman Funster

That reminds me; my steering vibrates when approaching 65mph. Getting it checked soon on the next service.
    It vibrates through the steering worse than a poor girls's vibrator (an electric toothbrush in a rubber glove) :whistle:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

There is sometimes a very simple solution to wobbly wheels!
    When we left Switzerland this year, we got onto the motorway, and got up to speed. The vibration from the steering was horrendous, so much so that I said to the wife, that it was pretty close to undriveable, and concluded that we had chucked a balance weight.
    Anyway, I pulled over in the next town and did a search on the sat nav for tyre places nearby, luckily, there was one within 5 minutes, so off we toddled. After a lot of gesticulation and sign language, I managed to communicate that the wheels were out of balance, so they started to manoeuvre the van into the workshop, when all of a sudden, the bloke in the shop yells out "woah!", signalling that the guy should stop moving. He busied himself at the drivers front wheel and a second or two later came over to me holding a gigantic stone, that was wedged in the tread! I drove on and the van was back to normal.
    Moral of the story, check for stones in your tyres before heading to a tyre place! :D

• Like Like x 8
  6. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Some years ago we took our daughters boyfriend (now hubby) with us on a caravan holiday to Switzerland. Whilst preparing for the trip I grease the wheel bearings on the caravan and asked boyfriend to put the wheels back on.
    A half mile down the road I heard a rumbling noise (echoing off some garden walls) and pulled in. Both wheels were nearly coming off. I went to tighten the nuts only to find he'd put the conical side of the nuts outside and all the wheel holes had worn bigger.
    Went to a nearby tyre place but they didn't have caravan wheels!
    Had to go several miles into town to a trailer place and got two new wheels, then went to the tyre place and had the tyres taken of the ruined wheels and put onto the new wheels.
    Surprisingly we did not miss our ferry crossing.
    He was not flavour of the month:cautious::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Was having all that done when I had that intelligent conversation with a two year old about his Zoo Book, Lions and Zebras in particular:LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Had a Mk3 Cortian on the way home from the tyre dept., with new tyres every time I went round a corner clunking sound from rear. Gave the wheel a tug when I got home and it moved took the hub cap off 3 of the 4 nuts spun off to the end of the thread only hadn't come off completely because of the hub cap. Those were the days before they torqued them up, 1975.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Up in the quarry late at night,parked up,jumped in the 4'by and set off...not very far, bad wheel wobble. Jumped out and checked the wheel nuts,(wheels had been stolen from the quarry at night),all nuts tight, it had stood in the quarry for a week and it had snowed quite badly,checking the wheels again,found wedges of snow had frozen inside the part of the wheel nearest the ground on all four. Big screw driver and out it all came,so check if you have been parked up after severe weather the inner side of the wheels as well.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Had a similar problem with our car on the motorway took a while to find out it wasn't the loss of a balance weight but a big bulge in the inner sidewall (cheap chinese tyres fairly new)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Yes.. After each big trip I usually wander round with the torque wrench .. Ally 16" Ducato wheels .. Torque is about 125 ft lbs

• Like Like x 1
  12. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Mud does it as well. Especially here as it sets like concrete-

• Like Like x 1
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Interesting Robert, having a very similar thought process myself, (currently distracted by intermittent engine faults though) we get serious wheel wobble through the steering wheel above 60 mph, very rarely exceed 6o so virtually irrelevant, but I had been wondering whether even though I can't feel the sensation below 60 mph is it still affecting the ride / mph / tyre wear?

Maybe the wobble is bad enough to instigate the limp mode :), will take it to a tyre place this week for a run out anyway, got to be money well spent, especially compared to buying turbos, just in case, anyway (y)

Thanks for the heads up / reminder

• Like Like x 2
  14. Robert Clark

Please let us know how you get on David

15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I always weigh and get correct pressure from manufacturers web site and it transforms the ride comfort..

• Like Like x 1
  16. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Our local MB commercial dealership couldn't give me the tyre pressures for our 3.5 Sprinter conversion (James Cook) but luckily I found it in the manual - 60 - 41
    Once I stopped at a motorway service to top up pressure only to have it take air out as it wasn't working when I connected the air hose. Could have been dangerous!:eek:

17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

You get the correct presure from tyre manufacturer web sites? but have to weigh the van to find out axle loadings so you know what presure to apply...

18. Robert Clark

As Judgemental says, the figure quoted in the owner handbook MAY be incorrect based on the actual weight (fully laden) of your van. The only way to be sure you're running with the correct pressure is to weigh the front and rear axles and check this weight agains the tyre manufacturers recommended pressures. There are some tyre pressures in the resources section of FUN, otherwise you can email the tyre manufacturer and they will tell you
    On my van Cartago suggested 5.5 bar for the front tyres, whereas it's acutually meant to be 3.25 bar - a massive difference

19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Most garage air lines only go up to 50psi unless in the HGV section. Also tyres need to be cold, after driving need to leave them to cool for at least ½ hour before checking probably longer if been on a motorway.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I have an issue with an alloy wheel which developed a hairline crack (noticed when trying to find a puncture).

It's a Scorpion alloy by Team Dynamics (Rim Stock) and is supposed to be rated at 1500kg.

The crack is the the well of the wheel and I still trying to get a replacement 6 weeks on.