Do you ever get your wheels checked? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As the owner of a new motorhome, getting my wheels checked was the last thing on my mind.

After our first 'proper' trip, I felt as if there was a little too much vibration coming up through the steering wheel. I took the van to a local commercial tyre depot who discovered that the wheels, though new, had not been correctly balanced. They re balanced the wheels, which resulted in a dramatic reduction in the vibration that I had been experiencing - vibration problem solved

Having driven a few thousand more miles, I felt that the steering still wasn't quite 'right' and decided to not only sort out the tyre pressures, but also wheel alignment. A quick visit to the local weighbridge and an email to the tyre manufacturer concluded that, not only was the motorhome manufacturers recommended tyre pressures totally inaccurate, but those suggested by the dealer, were just as bad. Having adjusted the tyres to the correct pressure for the weight of the vehicle, another marked improvement in ride quality came about.

The biggest improvement came about today, when I got the wheel alignment checked and adjusted. The advice from the tyre depot was to get the alignment checked every 6 months.
The improvement was quite astounding, and I felt as if the van was driving better than it had ever done since new.

I'm confident that a little time and money spent sorting out the correct tyre pressures, balancing and wheel alignment, will not only result in a much more pleasurable, safer, more comfortable ride, but the saving in fuel will cover the costs incurred.

When was the last time you got your wheels checked?

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a similar situation on a new car, whilst we didn't notice any issues with the driving we did notice that one of the front tyres was wearing unevenly, it turned out the tracking was out!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I changed the tyes on mine to 4 season tyres, fitted Hankook RA10's which other funsters have said give a great ride. At first a hard ride with a lot of vibration no problems with steering like Robert. Ride gradually got better and wasn't bad by 500 miles, but I was still convinced it wasn't as good as the Conti Vanco Camper that were on before. Before our Greece trip I had the wheels balanced and reduced the tyre pressures by 5 psi, now it ride as good if not better than the Conti's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There is sometimes a very simple solution to wobbly wheels!
When we left Switzerland this year, we got onto the motorway, and got up to speed. The vibration from the steering was horrendous, so much so that I said to the wife, that it was pretty close to undriveable, and concluded that we had chucked a balance weight.
Anyway, I pulled over in the next town and did a search on the sat nav for tyre places nearby, luckily, there was one within 5 minutes, so off we toddled. After a lot of gesticulation and sign language, I managed to communicate that the wheels were out of balance, so they started to manoeuvre the van into the workshop, when all of a sudden, the bloke in the shop yells out "woah!", signalling that the guy should stop moving. He busied himself at the drivers front wheel and a second or two later came over to me holding a gigantic stone, that was wedged in the tread! I drove on and the van was back to normal.
Moral of the story, check for stones in your tyres before heading to a tyre place! :D

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Some years ago we took our daughters boyfriend (now hubby) with us on a caravan holiday to Switzerland. Whilst preparing for the trip I grease the wheel bearings on the caravan and asked boyfriend to put the wheels back on.
A half mile down the road I heard a rumbling noise (echoing off some garden walls) and pulled in. Both wheels were nearly coming off. I went to tighten the nuts only to find he'd put the conical side of the nuts outside and all the wheel holes had worn bigger.
Went to a nearby tyre place but they didn't have caravan wheels!
Had to go several miles into town to a trailer place and got two new wheels, then went to the tyre place and had the tyres taken of the ruined wheels and put onto the new wheels.
Surprisingly we did not miss our ferry crossing.
He was not flavour of the month:cautious::rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had a Mk3 Cortian on the way home from the tyre dept., with new tyres every time I went round a corner clunking sound from rear. Gave the wheel a tug when I got home and it moved took the hub cap off 3 of the 4 nuts spun off to the end of the thread only hadn't come off completely because of the hub cap. Those were the days before they torqued them up, 1975.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Up in the quarry late at night,parked up,jumped in the 4'by and set off...not very far, bad wheel wobble. Jumped out and checked the wheel nuts,(wheels had been stolen from the quarry at night),all nuts tight, it had stood in the quarry for a week and it had snowed quite badly,checking the wheels again,found wedges of snow had frozen inside the part of the wheel nearest the ground on all four. Big screw driver and out it all came,so check if you have been parked up after severe weather the inner side of the wheels as well.
Tea Bag

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had a similar problem with our car on the motorway took a while to find out it wasn't the loss of a balance weight but a big bulge in the inner sidewall (cheap chinese tyres fairly new)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. After each big trip I usually wander round with the torque wrench .. Ally 16" Ducato wheels .. Torque is about 125 ft lbs

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is sometimes a very simple solution to wobbly wheels!
When we left Switzerland this year, we got onto the motorway, and got up to speed. The vibration from the steering was horrendous, so much so that I said to the wife, that it was pretty close to undriveable, and concluded that we had chucked a balance weight.
Anyway, I pulled over in the next town and did a search on the sat nav for tyre places nearby, luckily, there was one within 5 minutes, so off we toddled. After a lot of gesticulation and sign language, I managed to communicate that the wheels were out of balance, so they started to manoeuvre the van into the workshop, when all of a sudden, the bloke in the shop yells out "woah!", signalling that the guy should stop moving. He busied himself at the drivers front wheel and a second or two later came over to me holding a gigantic stone, that was wedged in the tread! I drove on and the van was back to normal.
Moral of the story, check for stones in your tyres before heading to a tyre place! :D

Mud does it as well. Especially here as it sets like concrete-

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting Robert, having a very similar thought process myself, (currently distracted by intermittent engine faults though) we get serious wheel wobble through the steering wheel above 60 mph, very rarely exceed 6o so virtually irrelevant, but I had been wondering whether even though I can't feel the sensation below 60 mph is it still affecting the ride / mph / tyre wear?

Maybe the wobble is bad enough to instigate the limp mode :), will take it to a tyre place this week for a run out anyway, got to be money well spent, especially compared to buying turbos, just in case, anyway (y)

Thanks for the heads up / reminder

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Interesting Robert, having a very similar thought process myself, (currently distracted by intermittent engine faults though) we get serious wheel wobble through the steering wheel above 60 mph, very rarely exceed 6o so virtually irrelevant, but I had been wondering whether even though I can't feel the sensation below 60 mph is it still affecting the ride / mph / tyre wear?

Maybe the wobble is bad enough to instigate the limp mode :), will take it to a tyre place this week for a run out anyway, got to be money well spent, especially compared to buying turbos, just in case, anyway (y)

Thanks for the heads up / reminder
Please let us know how you get on David

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I always weigh and get correct pressure from manufacturers web site and it transforms the ride comfort..

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Our local MB commercial dealership couldn't give me the tyre pressures for our 3.5 Sprinter conversion (James Cook) but luckily I found it in the manual - 60 - 41
Once I stopped at a motorway service to top up pressure only to have it take air out as it wasn't working when I connected the air hose. Could have been dangerous!:eek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Our local MB commercial dealership couldn't give me the tyre pressures for our 3.5 Sprinter conversion (James Cook) but luckily I found it in the manual - 60 - 41
Once I stopped at a motorway service to top up pressure only to have it take air out as it wasn't working when I connected the air hose. Could have been dangerous!:eek:

You get the correct presure from tyre manufacturer web sites? but have to weigh the van to find out axle loadings so you know what presure to apply...

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As Judgemental says, the figure quoted in the owner handbook MAY be incorrect based on the actual weight (fully laden) of your van. The only way to be sure you're running with the correct pressure is to weigh the front and rear axles and check this weight agains the tyre manufacturers recommended pressures. There are some tyre pressures in the resources section of FUN, otherwise you can email the tyre manufacturer and they will tell you
On my van Cartago suggested 5.5 bar for the front tyres, whereas it's acutually meant to be 3.25 bar - a massive difference

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Most garage air lines only go up to 50psi unless in the HGV section. Also tyres need to be cold, after driving need to leave them to cool for at least ½ hour before checking probably longer if been on a motorway.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I have an issue with an alloy wheel which developed a hairline crack (noticed when trying to find a puncture).

It's a Scorpion alloy by Team Dynamics (Rim Stock) and is supposed to be rated at 1500kg.

The crack is the the well of the wheel and I still trying to get a replacement 6 weeks on.

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
So the question for me is..if i dont know how old my tyres are..even if they're in good nick(visibly).. When should I renew them,especially considering they sit doing nothing for for 1/2 the year?

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
The date of manufacture is on the side, a small oval with four numbers in it, the week and year eg 2116 would be the 21st week 2016.
It's sometimes on the inside.
5 years is reckoned to be time to change.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The date of manufacture is on the side, a small oval with four numbers in it, the week and year eg 2116 would be the 21st week 2016.
It's sometimes on the inside.
5 years is reckoned to be time to change.

That would be tempered by the frequency of use, frequently used tyres can be good for several more years, BUT if parked up a lot the that could reduced even below 5yr.

Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wheel alignment every 6 months.
I bet the get excited when you pull in their yard......he's here again, how much should we charge this time ?

I get mine checked if I hit a kerb/pothole really hard AND the tyre begins feathering the edge.

I think the last time it was done they used the mechanical measuring rods.

Oh dear, another resurrected thread. :doh:

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Trigano ask owners of new MH s to get wheels checked for alignment etc after the first 500 miles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Trigano ask owners of new MH s to get wheels checked for alignment etc after the first 500 miles.
Understandable......for the same reason you should check wheel nuts 20 or 30 miles after having a wheel changed.

Recently tightened fixings, wheel nuts track rod ends, can work loose. ..but its very unlikely a fixing which has been tight for years will suddenly work loose.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wheel alignment every 6 months.
I bet the get excited when you pull in their yard......he's here again, how much should we charge this time ?
Whilst I respect your opinion, I'm mindful that I travelled 22,000 miles over the past 12 months, much of it in Italy and Portugal, on less than perfect roads, I feel that it's not unreasonable to invest a few pounds on having my wheel alignment checked and adjusted.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
After Driving over the First World War trench that I found on the M25 the other day, I think I should get the chassis replaced in its entirety, I felt a foot deep and two across, never had a wallop like that before even on a unmade road, I was doing 60mph and I thought it was falling apart. I think a bike would have thrown a rider off, it was that bad. Alloy rims are not cheap you know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back