Did you notify your Insurance Company

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Larrynwin, May 16, 2014.

?

Did You Declare a change to manufacturers specification when fitting Towbar or AFrame

Poll closed May 30, 2014.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

When you had an A Frame or Tow Bar fitted to your car did you notify your insurers ?
    Both are a change to manufacturers spec and in the event of a claim could give your insurers a cop out :Eeek:

2. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

A frame

Hello, I advised my insurer and they just made a note of it no problems :Smile:

3. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Same here. :Smile:

Trikeman. :Wink:

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I'm with the NFU who insure my three vehicles on one policy. I gave them a written list of all the accessories fitted to the m/h (including engine re-map)and advised them of the A-frame fitting to the toad, all of which they accepted with no problem.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  5. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

I don't have one, but wouldn't have dreamt of keeping it from them. I tell them absolutely everything, no matter how trivial. They never seem to care (unless it is performance enhancing), but I much prefer not to have a reason to have a claim refused.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

As I told them every time we went to the continent that we were travelling towing a caravan I just assumed they must have realised we weren't tying it to the car with a bit of string.

Only after reading warnings on CaravanTalk did I officially inform them of the modification.

7. vectian

vectian Funster

They'll wriggle out of paying if they can

What a liberty!!! How can they say fitting a towbar is altering the manufacturers spec.
    It does nothing more to the vehicle (than perhaps strengthen a little bit) and doesn't alter the performance.
    If you have to inform them every time you alter what the manufacturer set the vehicle up with should we inform them every time we sit in the driving seat or every time we fill up with fuel because that certainly alters the performance.
    If they're going to get silly about what is put on/in the vehicle maybe we should get silly too

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I always confirm when renewing policy that car is comprehensively covered when on a frame or trailer as with some policies it reverts to third party only .

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

exactly !!!

By fitting a towbar you are altering the inbuilt crumple zones which are designed to absorb an impact rather than transmit it to other body parts.....ie: the passenger compartment.

Many insurers list what is notifiable in the policy document wording.....but its extremely unlikely they would refuse cover if in any case.

10. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Some years back I used to work for motor insurance underwriters. If you have a tow bar there are two things that effect your likelihood of making a claim.

1, If you have a tow bar you are pretty likely to put something on the back; car, trailer, bike rack etc. Anything being towed is covered by the vehicle insurance.

2, Tow bars protrude beyond the the vehicle and will strike something first with the damage being caused by a small hard object (rather than a nice soft, flat bumper).

So I think the insurance companies are quite nice to not increase the premium.

• Like Like x 1