Did you notify your Insurance Company (1 Viewer)

Did You Declare a change to manufacturers specification when fitting Towbar or AFrame

• Yes

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When you had an A Frame or Tow Bar fitted to your car did you notify your insurers ?
Both are a change to manufacturers spec and in the event of a claim could give your insurers a cop out :Eeek:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm with the NFU who insure my three vehicles on one policy. I gave them a written list of all the accessories fitted to the m/h (including engine re-map)and advised them of the A-frame fitting to the toad, all of which they accepted with no problem.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When you had an A Frame or Tow Bar fitted to your car did you notify your insurers ?
Both are a change to manufacturers spec and in the event of a claim could give your insurers a cop out :Eeek:

I don't have one, but wouldn't have dreamt of keeping it from them. I tell them absolutely everything, no matter how trivial. They never seem to care (unless it is performance enhancing), but I much prefer not to have a reason to have a claim refused.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
As I told them every time we went to the continent that we were travelling towing a caravan I just assumed they must have realised we weren't tying it to the car with a bit of string.

Only after reading warnings on CaravanTalk did I officially inform them of the modification.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
They'll wriggle out of paying if they can

What a liberty!!! How can they say fitting a towbar is altering the manufacturers spec.
It does nothing more to the vehicle (than perhaps strengthen a little bit) and doesn't alter the performance.
If you have to inform them every time you alter what the manufacturer set the vehicle up with should we inform them every time we sit in the driving seat or every time we fill up with fuel because that certainly alters the performance.
If they're going to get silly about what is put on/in the vehicle maybe we should get silly too

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I always confirm when renewing policy that car is comprehensively covered when on a frame or trailer as with some policies it reverts to third party only .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What a liberty!!! How can they say fitting a towbar is altering the manufacturers spec.
It does nothing more to the vehicle ([HI]than perhaps strengthen a little bit[/HI]) and doesn't alter the performance.
If you have to inform them every time you alter what the manufacturer set the vehicle up with should we inform them every time we sit in the driving seat or every time we fill up with fuel because that certainly alters the performance.
If they're going to get silly about what is put on/in the vehicle maybe we should get silly too

exactly !!!

By fitting a towbar you are altering the inbuilt crumple zones which are designed to absorb an impact rather than transmit it to other body parts.....ie: the passenger compartment.

Many insurers list what is notifiable in the policy document wording.....but its extremely unlikely they would refuse cover if in any case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
It does nothing more to the vehicle (than perhaps strengthen a little bit) and doesn't alter the performance.

Some years back I used to work for motor insurance underwriters. If you have a tow bar there are two things that effect your likelihood of making a claim.

1, If you have a tow bar you are pretty likely to put something on the back; car, trailer, bike rack etc. Anything being towed is covered by the vehicle insurance.

2, Tow bars protrude beyond the the vehicle and will strike something first with the damage being caused by a small hard object (rather than a nice soft, flat bumper).

So I think the insurance companies are quite nice to not increase the premium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back