Did the dreaded weighbridge in the new Hymer!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Coolbeanz, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

I know discussing a female's weight in public is not the done thing but at the risk of upsetting Hermione we took her to the weighbridge yesterday prior too our trip to France on Monday. As we have downgraded from a 4.5 ton to a 3.85 ton we figured we had better see what, if any spare weight we have for filling up on wine :wine::wine::wine:.

We had already removed the 4 bike rack as we only use the garage for our bikes and we were surprised to discover it weighed 9kgs.
    We were pleased to discover she weighed in at 3680kg with both of us on board and we have an estimated 40kgs more of stuff to add. Definitely room for some wine then!!
    It does however raise the question of how 3.5 ton Motorhomes remain within the legal weight limit as we carry much less stuff than I have seen crammed in many other Motorhomes and neither of us are exactly overweight.
    One thing that is very heavy is the spare wheel. Apparently Motorhomes don't come with one anymore but Paul at Edgehill supplied us with one as well as a jack and tyre inflator. Do you all carry a spare tyre? We have full breakdown and recovery so I wondered if this was an unnecessary weight that we could do away with?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Have a great trip!
    Our van has no spare eek. but we are thinking of carrying a tyre at least. Not sure about the weight as we would need to visit a weigh bridge.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

I went to a local weighbridge last week. It weighed in at 2900kg. That was with 1/2 tank of diesel and 1/2 tank of water but with virtually everything else as we came back from our jollies. So, adding 75kg per person and say another 50kg for water and fuel and 5kg for Pepper, we have well over 300kg for goodies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Out of interest, why did you downrate from 4.5 to 3.85? Downrating to 3.5 because of the age thing is often done but you'll still be above that weight?

5. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ours does have a spare wheel but Brownhills tried to get away with it.

6. chaser

chaser Funster

Ours is rated at 3400, and last time i weighed it , that also come out at 2900

7. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

We are only in our mid 50's so that wasn't an issue for us, Glynn wanted a newer motorhome and preferred to get rid of the tag axle and downsize slightly. Also it was the exact layout we already had (and love) albeit a slightly smaller lounge area. It will be cheaper on tolls ( not that we use them unless we have to) and also ferries for when we do Scandinavia or Greece etc.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Our old Hymer is 2002 and being a B544 Classic it is plated at 3.4kg. Imagine my surprise and delight when I took it fully loaded (no water and 1/2 tank of fuel) to discover I had 300kg to spare!

Just wished I hadn't shared my joy with Ginny who strangely enough came up with more 'essentials' :eek::p:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tykatem

Tykatem Funster

Those Hymers must be built on iron girders. Our 7m Bessacarr has a User Payload of 440kg to bring it up to it Max Loading of 3500kg. With it packed with everything but clothes and ready to go off to Germany/Italy next week. It weighed in at 3370kgs. This included Myself, wife, 2 standard poodles, solar panel, awning, chairs, 50ltrs of water, Full tank of diesel, 36ltr refillable gas bottle (full), bbq etc, bike rack + 1 bike. No spare wheel. Leaving us with plenty to play with.

Pete

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Ah, ok. I wasn't aware that weight was taken into account for tolls/ferries for motorhomes, don't think I've ever been asked. Live and learn, thanks for the answer. Look forward to reading about your adventures :)

11. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

The tag axle was the biggest issue as it means you are classed the same as the big trucks on toll roads which means it can get pretty expensive hence why we avoided them.

12. Speve

Speve Funster

Our 16" spare only weighs 28kg and I think we'll worth carrying as if you have a puncture or blow out breakdown can change the wheel for you and you're on the way again means you don't have to wait while they tramp off to nearest place to get tyre done and return. You can get it done at your leisure.

13. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Pretty similar to us apart from the dogs :D. We have twin gaslow refillable system and both bottles are full. 2 reclining chairs with seperate leg rests, lg and sm folding tables, 2 hybrid bikes and all relevant cycling accessories. Awning, solar panel, spare wheel, food, clothes, water and fuel. Definitely room for wine on the return trip (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Others remain "under 3.5t" because their owners take the decision to never weigh them. Ignorance is bliss ....... but no excuse when you get pulled over in a police/VOSA check.

• Like Like x 2
  15. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I carry two spare tyres .... one on a rim in the garage and one around my waist.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 9
  16. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

You could just carry the tyre and not the rim which is the really heavy bit. We were thinking of doing this as finding the right size tyre is going to be the thing that holds you up on your travels.

• Like Like x 1
  17. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

But wouldn't that be a bit pointless. As far as I am aware, breakdown / recovery staff don't change tyres. They will change a wheel. However, perhaps you know more than I do but wouldn't it be frustrating having a spare tyre and nowhere around to put the tyre onto the rim, fill with air to correct pressure and balance unless you're quite happy to change a tyre by the roadside and I certainly wouldn't.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Armytwowheels

But it is easier to find a garage to fit your tyre, or a local recovery company, than it is to find the right size tyre for your van, particularly if you are out in the sticks. We would only do this if we were on the limit of out wait, which we're not at the moment.

19. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Possibly so but wouldn't the recovery costs be high and I appreciate if you're in the wilds but what about motorway or city centres?

20. Armytwowheels

Like I said it is an option if you are close to the limits. We have ADAC cover at roughly £100 per year so would just call them to come to the rescue.