Did the dreaded weighbridge in the new Hymer!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I know discussing a female's weight in public is not the done thing but at the risk of upsetting Hermione we took her to the weighbridge yesterday prior too our trip to France on Monday. As we have downgraded from a 4.5 ton to a 3.85 ton we figured we had better see what, if any spare weight we have for filling up on wine :wine::wine::wine:.

We had already removed the 4 bike rack as we only use the garage for our bikes and we were surprised to discover it weighed 9kgs.
We were pleased to discover she weighed in at 3680kg with both of us on board and we have an estimated 40kgs more of stuff to add. Definitely room for some wine then!!
It does however raise the question of how 3.5 ton Motorhomes remain within the legal weight limit as we carry much less stuff than I have seen crammed in many other Motorhomes and neither of us are exactly overweight.
One thing that is very heavy is the spare wheel. Apparently Motorhomes don't come with one anymore but Paul at Edgehill supplied us with one as well as a jack and tyre inflator. Do you all carry a spare tyre? We have full breakdown and recovery so I wondered if this was an unnecessary weight that we could do away with?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a great trip!
Our van has no spare eek. but we are thinking of carrying a tyre at least. Not sure about the weight as we would need to visit a weigh bridge.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I know discussing a female's weight in public is not the done thing but at the risk of upsetting Hermione we took her to the weighbridge yesterday prior too our trip to France on Monday. As we have downgraded from a 4.5 ton to a 3.85 ton we figured we had better see what, if any spare weight we have for filling up on wine :wine::wine::wine:.

We had already removed the 4 bike rack as we only use the garage for our bikes and we were surprised to discover it weighed 9kgs.
We were pleased to discover she weighed in at 3680kg with both of us on board and we have an estimated 40kgs more of stuff to add. Definitely room for some wine then!!
It does however raise the question of how 3.5 ton Motorhomes remain within the legal weight limit as we carry much less stuff than I have seen crammed in many other Motorhomes and neither of us are exactly overweight.
One thing that is very heavy is the spare wheel. Apparently Motorhomes don't come with one anymore but Paul at Edgehill supplied us with one as well as a jack and tyre inflator. Do you all carry a spare tyre? We have full breakdown and recovery so I wondered if this was an unnecessary weight that we could do away with?
I went to a local weighbridge last week. It weighed in at 2900kg. That was with 1/2 tank of diesel and 1/2 tank of water but with virtually everything else as we came back from our jollies. So, adding 75kg per person and say another 50kg for water and fuel and 5kg for Pepper, we have well over 300kg for goodies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Out of interest, why did you downrate from 4.5 to 3.85? Downrating to 3.5 because of the age thing is often done but you'll still be above that weight?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I went to a local weighbridge last week. It weighed in at 2900kg. That was with 1/2 tank of diesel and 1/2 tank of water but with virtually everything else as we came back from our jollies. So, adding 75kg per person and say another 50kg for water and fuel and 5kg for Pepper, we have well over 300kg for goodies.
Ours is rated at 3400, and last time i weighed it , that also come out at 2900

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Out of interest, why did you downrate from 4.5 to 3.85? Downrating to 3.5 because of the age thing is often done but you'll still be above that weight?
We are only in our mid 50's so that wasn't an issue for us, Glynn wanted a newer motorhome and preferred to get rid of the tag axle and downsize slightly. Also it was the exact layout we already had (and love) albeit a slightly smaller lounge area. It will be cheaper on tolls ( not that we use them unless we have to) and also ferries for when we do Scandinavia or Greece etc.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Our old Hymer is 2002 and being a B544 Classic it is plated at 3.4kg. Imagine my surprise and delight when I took it fully loaded (no water and 1/2 tank of fuel) to discover I had 300kg to spare!

Just wished I hadn't shared my joy with Ginny who strangely enough came up with more 'essentials' :eek::p:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Those Hymers must be built on iron girders. Our 7m Bessacarr has a User Payload of 440kg to bring it up to it Max Loading of 3500kg. With it packed with everything but clothes and ready to go off to Germany/Italy next week. It weighed in at 3370kgs. This included Myself, wife, 2 standard poodles, solar panel, awning, chairs, 50ltrs of water, Full tank of diesel, 36ltr refillable gas bottle (full), bbq etc, bike rack + 1 bike. No spare wheel. Leaving us with plenty to play with.

Pete

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
We are only in our mid 50's so that wasn't an issue for us, Glynn wanted a newer motorhome and preferred to get rid of the tag axle and downsize slightly. Also it was the exact layout we already had (and love) albeit a slightly smaller lounge area. It will be cheaper on tolls ( not that we use them unless we have to) and also ferries for when we do Scandinavia or Greece etc.
Ah, ok. I wasn't aware that weight was taken into account for tolls/ferries for motorhomes, don't think I've ever been asked. Live and learn, thanks for the answer. Look forward to reading about your adventures :)

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Ah, ok. I wasn't aware that weight was taken into account for tolls/ferries for motorhomes, don't think I've ever been asked. Live and learn, thanks for the answer. Look forward to reading about your adventures :)
The tag axle was the biggest issue as it means you are classed the same as the big trucks on toll roads which means it can get pretty expensive hence why we avoided them.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our 16" spare only weighs 28kg and I think we'll worth carrying as if you have a puncture or blow out breakdown can change the wheel for you and you're on the way again means you don't have to wait while they tramp off to nearest place to get tyre done and return. You can get it done at your leisure.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Those Hymers must be built on iron girders. Our 7m Bessacarr has a User Payload of 440kg to bring it up to it Max Loading of 3500kg. With it packed with everything but clothes and ready to go off to Germany/Italy next week. It weighed in at 3370kgs. This included Myself, wife, 2 standard poodles, solar panel, awning, chairs, 50ltrs of water, Full tank of diesel, 36ltr refillable gas bottle (full), bbq etc, bike rack + 1 bike. No spare wheel. Leaving us with plenty to play with.

Pete
Pretty similar to us apart from the dogs :D. We have twin gaslow refillable system and both bottles are full. 2 reclining chairs with seperate leg rests, lg and sm folding tables, 2 hybrid bikes and all relevant cycling accessories. Awning, solar panel, spare wheel, food, clothes, water and fuel. Definitely room for wine on the return trip (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Others remain "under 3.5t" because their owners take the decision to never weigh them. Ignorance is bliss ....... but no excuse when you get pulled over in a police/VOSA check.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Have a great trip!
Our van has no spare eek. but we are thinking of carrying a tyre at least. Not sure about the weight as we would need to visit a weigh bridge.
I carry two spare tyres .... one on a rim in the garage and one around my waist.:rolleyes:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You could just carry the tyre and not the rim which is the really heavy bit. We were thinking of doing this as finding the right size tyre is going to be the thing that holds you up on your travels.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You could just carry the tyre and not the rim which is the really heavy bit. We were thinking of doing this as finding the right size tyre is going to be the thing that holds you up on your travels.
But wouldn't that be a bit pointless. As far as I am aware, breakdown / recovery staff don't change tyres. They will change a wheel. However, perhaps you know more than I do but wouldn't it be frustrating having a spare tyre and nowhere around to put the tyre onto the rim, fill with air to correct pressure and balance unless you're quite happy to change a tyre by the roadside and I certainly wouldn't.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
But wouldn't that be a bit pointless. As far as I am aware, breakdown / recovery staff don't change tyres. They will change a wheel. However, perhaps you know more than I do but wouldn't it be frustrating having a spare tyre and nowhere around to put the tyre onto the rim, fill with air to correct pressure and balance unless you're quite happy to change a tyre by the roadside and I certainly wouldn't.
But it is easier to find a garage to fit your tyre, or a local recovery company, than it is to find the right size tyre for your van, particularly if you are out in the sticks. We would only do this if we were on the limit of out wait, which we're not at the moment.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
But it is easier to find a garage to fit your tyre, or a local recovery company, than it is to find the right size tyre for your van, particularly if you are out in the sticks. We would only do this if we were on the limit of out wait, which we're not at the moment.
Possibly so but wouldn't the recovery costs be high and I appreciate if you're in the wilds but what about motorway or city centres?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Possibly so but wouldn't the recovery costs be high and I appreciate if you're in the wilds but what about motorway or city centres?
Like I said it is an option if you are close to the limits. We have ADAC cover at roughly £100 per year so would just call them to come to the rescue.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When you said you'd downgraded I thought you meant you'd lowered the weight of your existing motorhome from 4500kg to 3850kg, not replaced it ... it makes sense now! :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Like I said it is an option if you are close to the limits. We have ADAC cover at roughly £100 per year so would just call them to come to the rescue.
Are you sure the ADAC would they definitely be 'happy' with you having just a tyre and expecting them to either recover you to a garage or take the tyre to have it fitted on your behalf and the return to fit it ... they may, but I'd be very surprised!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Right ok, I always remember the breakdown recovery company's refusing because no serviceable spare. So ADAC would do roadside tyre change etc or low loader to a tyre place. Obviously couldn't tow.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Are you sure the ADAC would they definitely be 'happy' with you having just a tyre and expecting them to either recover you to a garage or take the tyre to have it fitted on your behalf and the return to fit it ... they may, but I'd be very surprised!
No I am not sure as I haven't had to put it to the test, but as some Motorhomes don't even come with a spare these days what's the difference. The recovery people aren't going to arrive at the road side with the exact right tyre are they. I would think they are going to tow you to a garage.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They've changed MHs - not downrated an existing one.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

When you initially call your breakdown service to report the problem. You tell them that you require a tyre fitting service, such as ATSeuromaster adding further that you have a spare tyre onboard or that you require the puncture to be repaired in situ.
This is a common occurrence for truck drivers.

Pete

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No I am not sure as I haven't had to put it to the test, but as some Motorhomes don't even come with a spare these days what's the difference. The recovery people aren't going to arrive at the road side with the exact right tyre are they. I would think they are going to tow you to a garage.
Do you have a 'goo' kit as well? Breakdown policies usually say you have to either have a usable spare wheel or puncture repair kit.

If you have the goo kit and are prepared to use it (or allow the recovery people to do so) then there's no problem with just carrying a tyre as an extra precaution, but if you are solely relying on the tyre I think you could have problems! Personally I'd rather have a proper spare wheel which can be fitted without hassle by anyone competent, and not having to prat about with a goo kit (which doesn't always work), or having to wait for recovery.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When you initially call your breakdown service to report the problem. You tell them that you require a tyre fitting service, such as ATSeuromaster adding further that you have a spare tyre onboard or that you require the puncture to be repaired in situ.

Pete
I can understand that and have seen trucks having their tyres replaced at the roadside but they are unlikely to carry spares I believe and this service will cost a lot more than the breakdown service we are talking about.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)

Pete

I wasn't aware of that process, thank you Pete.

I have always been advised that if the original vehicle had a spare wheel you were expected to carry one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back