Dashcam Illegality in Europe (2 Viewers)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It resulted from legislation intended to prevent drivers from being distracted from moving images visible to him

I have to admit I find my rear view camera (clipped on the mirror of the M/H) distractive at night

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
.......Regarding dashcams, the placing of them and the visibility of the LCD display could indeed constitute an offence. Certainly the two I use on vehicles both turn off the display as a matter of course, unless the "replay" button is pushed. Of course the same could arguably apply to a GPS system, which is more a navigation aid

You are correct, the legislation covers the screen, or a reflection of the screen being visible to the driver, constituting an offence, however GPS, SatNavs and cameras that show only the vicinity around the vehicle are exempted under the legislation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Always remember the old rule "Ignorance is no excuse for not knowing"

& the other one " It's 8****ocks just ignore it ":xlaugh:

I can think of ONLY one good thing about any part of Europe. And that is the "Winter SUN". That which itself is not totally predictable! Either.
You don't like the UK either then ?:xsurprised:

T
Back on Subject.....

When it comes to the LED screen of a suction-mounted cam. The law actually says that, if the screen is on at any time during a journey and the driver can see it, then this is another serious offence.

http://www.theroadtrafficlawyer.com/dash-cameras-improper-placement-can-put-risk/

Pete
What is the difference between the gps /rear view camera & camera ?
Even a sunstrip encroaching in to the wiper area here is an mot fail, yet no one comments on the camera.:xlaugh:

Which is normally also aided by voice directions, and is !
You'd be amazed how many people turn off the sound on gps. My nephew does it. I always ask how he can possibly know where he is wanting to go if there's no sound ? If you have to keep looking at it then it is the same as a map over the steering wheel.

I don't have a rear view mirror :-(
I have one that shows a view of nothing. I'd like to throw it in the bin but because it was built with it ,it has to stay. x:-)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have one that shows a view of nothing. I'd like to throw it in the bin but because it was built with it ,it has to stay. x:-)[/QUOTE]
Hi Gus.
IF you are talking about the rear view mirror itself, they just slide off if you push them UP wards with a slight thump .... and that just leaves the small mount, which is glued to the screen.
I took ours off as I just shows me the rear end kitchen in our van.
But I'm now going to re-fit it to hide the dash cam.
Mitch.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
What is the difference between the gps /rear view camera & camera ?

As per post #63, the legislation that makes being able to see the screen of your dashcam illegal whilst driving, specifically exempts GPS and rear view cameras.

Just noticed that you are based in Spain (lucky so and so :xThumb:) the above is UK legislation !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have one that shows a view of nothing. I'd like to throw it in the bin but because it was built with it ,it has to stay. x:-)
Hi Gus.
IF you are talking about the rear view mirror itself, they just slide off if you push them UP wards with a slight thump .... and that just leaves the small mount, which is glued to the screen.
Mitch.[/QUOTE]

No ,I meant as it existed from new then it has to be there for the Mot here.

As per post #63, the legislation that makes being able to see the screen of your dashcam illegal whilst driving, specifically exempts GPS and rear view cameras.

Just noticed that you are based in Spain (lucky so and so :xThumb:) the above is UK legislation !

It is the gps that blinds me at night. Dash cam sceen is so small you don't even notice it.

Handy for keeping an eye on the grand-kids though!
I can't see that far ,she lives in Australia.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Gus.
Mitch.

No ,I meant as it existed from new then it has to be there for the Mot here.

It is the gps that blinds me at night. Dash cam sceen is so small you don't even notice it.

I can't see that far ,she lives in Australia.[/QUOTE]

Snap!!, so does our Eldest G-S, (Near Sydney). But the younger ones still occasionally infest our seating!.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
It is the gps that blinds me at night. Dash cam sceen is so small you don't even notice it....
Ah right, when you asked what the differences were, it was in response to the legality of seeing the screen, so I assumed you were asking about that aspect, not the brightness of the screens ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I don't have a rear view mirror :-(
My Chausson had one it gave a wonderful view of the BULKHEAD, however it was really good for the screen of the rear camers which became the mirror complete with the correct reversed image, It was just the right place to look at from habit for the mirror.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
my cam sits in the middle lower of the screen, hard for me to see as its low down.
the reverse screen is easy to see and is used like a rear mirror

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are correct, the legislation covers the screen, or a reflection of the screen being visible to the driver, constituting an offence.

And just about every car advert shows some moron driving and touching a screen and/or twiddling a knob. Apparently you aren't a driver these days of you can't twiddle you knob when driving.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
And just about every car advert shows some moron driving and touching a screen and/or twiddling a knob. Apparently you aren't a driver these days of you can't twiddle you knob when driving.
:xeek:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
You've lost me on that one. Twiddling knobs or touching screens is not illegal, especially if for example, adjusting one's fan settings when the screen mists up during a journey, makes one a moron ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've lost me on that one. Twiddling knobs or touching screens is not illegal, especially if for example, adjusting one's fan settings when the screen mists up during a journey, makes one a moron ?

You must not be seeing the TV adverts I have.

I can't quote specific ads but......

Pretty girl sit next to young man, they are moving and at the same time consulting and touching the screen.

Young upwardly mobile couple in yuppie car, conditions look poor so dickhead rotates knob to "dickhead mode" and puts his foot down and warps into the distance.

Such ads are all over the TV. Basically promoting spending too much time looking inside the vehicle.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back