Dangerous driving by motorhome on A34 (1 Viewer)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Some while back I had an attempted crash for cash - we are able to stop in time so avoided it but about 3 months later was chatting with a copper and showed him the footage and he gave me earache for not reporting it. Apparently it was too late to take action as Crash for Cash only use a car a few times before dumping it. He assured me that they would have prosecuted if they had been notified. They are relying more and more on dash cam footage for evidence as they become fewer on the road.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Im another one for posting it on youtube and facebook shame him

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you share on social media prior to any case, apparently it harms the prosecution (I have no idea why, it just does).
So if you are going to report it, share the video after any proceedings!
This chap is no longer in possession of a driving licence, he was banned from driving. I was delighted, it took ages to get my underpants clean after this!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you share on social media prior to any case, apparently it harms the prosecution (I have no idea why, it just does).
So if you are going to report it, share the video after any proceedings!
This chap is no longer in possession of a driving licence, he was banned from driving. I was delighted, it took ages to get my underpants clean after this!

Apt music !

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Please post it on Youtube and let us all be Judge and Jury.

The Police won't give a monkeys and will be a waste of time and effort for you.

Here's one I did earlier - please excuse the language - it was reported to the Vehicle Hire company but I didn't get a response -

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
From:- https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/dashcam-convictions/

"There may well be an issue with how this footage is introduced should a matter be contested. For example, if the police wish to use such footage as part of a prosecution for dangerous driving, there are strict procedural hurdles that the Prosecution must overcome to secure its use during a case. The person who recorded the footage may need to make a statement and ultimately attend court and this is often where innocent bystanders are deterred from assisting in cases as civilians can find the whole process intimidating, time consuming and an inconvenience they simply do not need."

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
From your description it sounds like dangerous more than careless which carries a higher tariff and would interest the police more.

From the CPS site:

A person drives dangerously when:

• the way they drive falls far below the minimum acceptable standard expected of a competent and careful driver; and
  • it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.
As long as your video shows what you have described, I see no reason as to why it shouldnt be investigated.

I would also try to pinpoint the exact spot, so you can contact the correct constabulary, South of Oxford indicates Thames Valley but from where you are, South of Oxford could also be Hampshire, use the road junction signs.

Also, it might be advisable (in order to save you some time) to write out your statement in an electronic format. generally they send it through the post/email to send it back, from their AJU in order to save a police Officer attending. Should you want, or need, if you wanted to bung me your statement via the inbox thing on here, I could take a look and make some adjustments for your consideration.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Do as you feel you must but do not expect much from the police. Their own video evidence is questioned in court.
It's going nowhere and if it was the most you would get is a possible without due care.

But, if they can trace the driver, at least he/she *may* have some inconvenience and think twice next time (probably not, really, but just maybe).

They'd probably consider it a badge of honour to be starring on social media, laughing about it with their mates :mad:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
From:- https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/dashcam-convictions/

"There may well be an issue with how this footage is introduced should a matter be contested. For example, if the police wish to use such footage as part of a prosecution for dangerous driving, there are strict procedural hurdles that the Prosecution must overcome to secure its use during a case. The person who recorded the footage may need to make a statement and ultimately attend court and this is often where innocent bystanders are deterred from assisting in cases as civilians can find the whole process intimidating, time consuming and an inconvenience they simply do not need."
Everything stated here is correct, however, 4 years as a store detective (possibly over 1,000 arrests and statements), 10 years as a police officer (your guess us as good as mine), 8 years as Security and providing and taking statements for Court say 2 or 3 times a week, my total Court appearances are probably less than 50 and most of these were for rubbish offences. I have been called probably 4-500 times and cancelled at the last minute regularly ensuring my day off was cancelled.
There is little evidence the defence could contest here (from what i have read) just the exhibiting of the SD card (recorded delivery). As long as the statement is of good quality and leaves no holes to be picked apart then the very high likelihood (imho) is the aggrieved in this matter would be no requirement to attend.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
There have been so many bad accidents on the A34 recently that the police might well be interested. Show it to them.
Absolutely!! I live right beside the A34 at Newbury and i know the police are highlighting and taking agreat deal of action against the perpetrators of bad or dangerous driving due tge the amount of deaths and accidents .so please pass your info on to Thames valley police at kidlington h.q it will be well received Roy

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
One other thing that is required by the police is that they must notify the owner of the vehicle within 14 days with a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) so get it done quickly with Easter around the corner.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I doubt the Police would do anything with the footage at all, for several reasons. But, as they have access to the vehicle database, they ought to pass the information to the company that insures them.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I doubt the Police would do anything with the footage at all, for several reasons. But, as they have access to the vehicle database, they ought to pass the information to the company that insures them.
This is of course your personal opinion as not living in the area and having no knowledge of the local and government involvement of the situation regarding the A34 from Winchester to Oxford..

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
To clarify and simplify what the police (not necessarily a constable)have to do in this matter.
Receive the allegation (phone call)
Send out a pack
Receive the pack back (statement and SD card)
Review the evidence (read statement and watch video)
Send out a NIP (if evidence exists)
Interview suspect
report suspect if evidence exists
Prepare a file.
Over to the CPS

Its potentially dangerous driving, why would they not do it? so far a police officer hasnt been inconvenienced and/or taken from the street. The file is basically half a dozen pro forma documents. 20-30 mins work for those in that department.

If the video does show dangerous driving, the suspect is not likely to want the magistrates to view it so goes guilty in order to prevent 9 points instead of 6 for example. the downside of this is would be is if he/she has 6 points already then they would test every bit of evidence as they have nothing to lose. (apart from their licence)

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Terrible incident, I would put video on this site , to see if anybody can regonise this moron, then we can name and shame, that's if he could be shamed, I doubt it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I will remind myself to come back and check the progress of this case in 6 months or so ..

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
I was targeted by an articulated truck driver after I must have slowed him down on a hill, after he overtook me on a dual carriageway he slowed right down and as I tried to overtake he pulled across into my lane almost pushing me into the central barrier but I did manage to get past, when I examined the dash cam footage it showed he was also giving me the finger, I took my laptop with the footage to the police station and they were not interested, eventually they did come and view the footage and despite seeing him giving me the finger as he tried to run me off the road the officer said " I don't see any road rage I think the wind must have blown him into your lane " I am myself a class 1 HGV driver and I know when it was done on purpose plus there was no wind that day, so to sum up the police will probably do nothing as they cannot be bothered to investigate, far easier to just give out fixed penalty tickets to people.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Just playing Devils advocate for a moment ... trying to imagine another scenario from the 'accused' perspective.

Approaching a long hill so get up to maximum allowable speed. Slow moving lorry ahead with MH behind so get into overtaking lane early. As approaching lorry MH pulls out in front and takes an age to overtake, all speed and momentum gone the accused needs to get out of the 'fast' lane asap - the moment they've cleared the MH. Now going too slow for the gear they're in there is an attempted change down that doesn't go wonderfully further reducing momentum. Just getting back in the power zone and see the offending MH moving to overtake and presumably wreck my day some more ...

Just a bit of fiction but I'm not ready to jump straight to licence revocation without seeing the evidence and hearing both sides ;)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I was targeted by an articulated truck driver after I must have slowed him down on a hill, after he overtook me on a dual carriageway he slowed right down and as I tried to overtake he pulled across into my lane almost pushing me into the central barrier but I did manage to get past, when I examined the dash cam footage it showed he was also giving me the finger, I took my laptop with the footage to the police station and they were not interested, eventually they did come and view the footage and despite seeing him giving me the finger as he tried to run me off the road the officer said " I don't see any road rage I think the wind must have blown him into your lane " I am myself a class 1 HGV driver and I know when it was done on purpose plus there was no wind that day, so to sum up the police will probably do nothing as they cannot be bothered to investigate, far easier to just give out fixed penalty tickets to people.
That was one police officer on one day. A pretty poor response was given to you and it has no doubt affected your opinion of them. Nice and easy for me to say, but I would have stuck him on for section 5 Public Order for giving the finger even if the evidence didnt exist for the traffic offence. Very lazy policing and unfortunately it does occur.
It does no harm to challenge them when they make decisions which you dont feel appropriate, and asking about the public order offence and what possible defence the driver would have for that would have been interesting. Officer could only have said it wont be in the publics interest (imho) which loosely translated under those circs is "I cant be bothered" or "have you seen my workload?"

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just playing Devils advocate for a moment ... trying to imagine another scenario from the 'accused' perspective.

Approaching a long hill so get up to maximum allowable speed. Slow moving lorry ahead with MH behind so get into overtaking lane early. As approaching lorry MH pulls out in front and takes an age to overtake, all speed and momentum gone the accused needs to get out of the 'fast' lane asap - the moment they've cleared the MH. Now going too slow for the gear they're in there is an attempted change down that doesn't go wonderfully further reducing momentum. Just getting back in the power zone and see the offending MH moving to overtake and presumably wreck my day some more ...

Just a bit of fiction but I'm not ready to jump straight to licence revocation without seeing the evidence and hearing both sides ;)
Precisely, the evidence needs to exist to report for summons. Nobody has seen it, nor should they if the police is the chosen route.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I'm afraid I've got to be the voice of dissent here, whileI would have no objection to footage that shows an accident, I do have strong objections to the culture we are becoming

One of its main tasks was spying on the population, mainly through a vast network of citizens turned informants, and fighting any opposition by overt and covert measures, including hidden psychological destruction of dissidents. Wiki

Any ideas?

The East German secret police, aka Stasi

We (as a population) need to very careful as to what becomes the new norm.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I'm afraid I've got to be the voice of dissent here, whileI would have no objection to footage that shows an accident, I do have strong objections to the culture we are becoming

One of its main tasks was spying on the population, mainly through a vast network of citizens turned informants, and fighting any opposition by overt and covert measures, including hidden psychological destruction of dissidents. Wiki

Any ideas?

If I read this right you're saying cure is better than prevention. !!

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
If I read this right you're saying cure is better than prevention. !!
In the simplest of terms, I don't think that it is right that half the population should be spying on the other half, we already have one of the most intrusive camera systems in the world watching us.

Add to that the fact that our every move in monitored and sold by the likes of Google, Microsoft etc etc and no you can't keep off the net it's just not possible all your insurance data driving data is being stored and analysed.

Let them get on with it, BUT let's not start spying on each other

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Any ideas?

Personally, i didnt have a dashcam, but have got one this time though dont know if i ll use it as off to the vendee so no mountains which was the primary reason i bought it.
However, if a secondary use is it helps to take a driver off the road who drives dangerously and puts others in danger, what exactly is the downside of that ? Ultimately that driver can see the error in his/her ways and make reasonable adjustments should they so desire.
I see no relation to the Stasi as (i think) nobody with a dashcam is part of a vast network of informants by use of covert/overt? use of a dashcam nor any psychological hidden destruction of dissidents.
A dashcam video is just excellent evidence of what (or pretty close to) what you saw and offers that evidence impartially (presuming it is not tampered with). It is difficult to argue with. If you do argue with it then everybody can review it.
It encourages ppl to report bad driving to the police as previously they would have to write a statement and then it is one word against another and wouldnt reach the threshold for prosecution.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I am not a great fan of dash cams and in my mind they are in the same category as drones. Great fun (apparently) for the people who have them, and just another invasion of privacy for those of us who don't. It's crazy that you can't point a house CCTV at the street outside your home, but you can use a drone or dash cam there o_O

To be honest, most of the footage that people insist on posting I find puerile. I see stuff like that most times I go out these days. Let the police get on with finding stolen Motor Homes and other serious crime, not trying to interpret whether someone's driving is a 'bit erratic' and may have slightly alarmed someone ;)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am not a great fan of dash cams and in my mind they are in the same category as drones. Great fun (apparently) for the people who have them, and just another invasion of privacy for those of us who don't. It's crazy that you can't point a house CCTV at the street outside your home, but you can use a drone or dash cam there o_O

To be honest, most of the footage that people insist on posting I find puerile. I see stuff like that most times I go out these days. Let the police get on with finding stolen Motor Homes and other serious crime, not trying to interpret whether someone's driving is a 'bit erratic' and may have slightly alarmed someone ;)

You shouldnt point a camera that is intended to protect your property "at the street"
Should your camera capture public areas then under the DPA persons passing can request to see what data you have (recordings)
That is my understanding of it, and am unaware of any prosecutions of private citizens
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...stic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property

I think youre right that there should be some form of regulations (i know there are CAA ones for flying) for recording from drones (i am unaware if there are any for public spaces)

I know you dont like the youtube videos however, the dashcam footage from these would have proven Dangerous driving in most cases, a few were careless in my opinion and personally speaking if there were a few less of them on the road the safer i would be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back