Damp in the side wall

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Sunty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Sunty

Sunty Read Only Funster

Big thanks to 'wozzer' for recommending Motorhomes UK, Bamber Bridge, Preston. who have just done a super job replacing the inside wall of my Swift Sundance after suffering dampness via the awning rail sealing failure. All the rails were removed and re-sealed to prevent further problems and, as I was promised, we did'nt know they had been in the van! My vehicle is 9 years old so I suppose I could expect some problems, but a couple of the vehicles in the workshop were worse than mine and only 12 months old. Why are the manufacturers failing on these common problems?:Angry:
    Arthur.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Stupidity and the price of labour.

It seems to me they prefer to let the dealer and the first owner finish off production rather than spend on QA labour.

You may have noticed that it extends to railway safety from a recent court case.

It extends to the likes of Tesco. They up your bill by 10% and allow "wastage" rather than employ security staff.

3. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Water ingress as been around for years, the manufacturing companys as been aware of this problem for many years on MH and Caravans, some have made the sealings wider and look good, but othrer's still use the same thin sealings, it must be hard to get a tight seal when MHs & caravans are designed to flex whilst traveling, i check our seals once a year and check inside with a damp meter, the best sealant i have found real good is marine sealent it dont give in to flexing! i tried it on rubber boots 1st in the winter months before i used on the MH, well impressed and no ingress at all , been using it now for the last 8 odd years, CHeers Alf.:thumb:

4. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

I know my spellings bad put glad you got it sorted YOSSER

5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I have found that this is a Standard water feature with Swift They leak