cycle helmets

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by june123, Aug 3, 2012.

1. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

Hello All - quick question. Are cycle helmets compulsory in France? Haven't worn them before but rules change.:Smile:

2. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Not sure but we have just spent 2 days in Saumur and my wife fell off her bike and badly bruised her face ( no helmet!) . We then went to the Vendee for two weeks came back to Saumur and she fell off her bike again! This time she had a helmet on. So my advice would be to wear a helmet at all times.
    She has now given up bike riding !

3. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

It would appear that riding a bike in Saumur is to be avoided, with or without a helmet :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    I can't say either way if law or not but my Mrs fell off and banged her head badly 2 years ago, we have worn helmets since just common sense, you only have one noggin. Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I would be wondering what caused her to fall off twice, if it was because she has not a lot of confidence on a bike, you could try the cycle paths, a lot quieter but good to get around.

If no obvious reason I would check why it happened.

We did not used to use cycle helmets but for the last couple of years we have, and now its like a seat belt seems much safer with one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

helmets

Thanks to all. I've reluctantly agreed to wear my helmet in future. Partner is very pleased. I'm sure they make sense. They're just not very comfortable. I have fallen off on two occasions but never banged head. Just broke a rib! Perhaps I should also invest in a bullet proof jacket?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Oh Carol, it gets better. She has decided that she is unsafe on bikes so went out and bought a Honda 125cc scooter. It has now been duly delivered and she now finds that she doesn't have a uk licence! (evidently a Bermuda licence doesn't count! ) we have just arrived home from a 400 mile round trip to London to get a tow bar and rack fitted at huge cost! So it's going to be a case of watch this space........

• Like Like x 1
  8. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Just to add another viewpoint - I recently came off my bike at 25 mph, hit my helmetless head on the ground and suffered no lasting ill effects. I promise not to use that as an argument not to wear a helmet if everyone else promises not to hold up a shattered piece of polystyrene and say that 'this saved my life'!

For the record - the answer to the original question is 'no'. Compulsion exists in Spain, but not France. But you are required to wear a HiViz when riding out of built-up areas after dark.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I seem to recall Saumur to be a good wine producing area, maybe something in the air:Doh:

10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Does that mean you will now be changing your user name to ericoffabike ?:Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

:Eeek::Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Possible.......

13. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

compulsary

Why do you ask if its a legal requirement to wear a helmet in France? :Eeek:
    I firmly believe that cycle helmets should be compulsary for under 16's anyway and anything that can save death or injury should be worn irrespective of fashion, hair styles etc.
    a few yrs ago I didn't wear a helmet, got a blow to the head and have suffered epilepsy since.Havent been able to drive since Dec 2010 and you don't realise how inconvenient thats is. :Angry:

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So would her injuries be less if she'd worn a helmet ?

Bicycle helmets do not protect "face" and in fact protect so little so unless you have the right accident they are worthless.

16. Gunner29

Confused with your post Jim> you don't wear a helmet But agree with a BAN?? Plus I feel that you don't set a good example to your children ""Do as I say not as I do!"" A lot of children suffer head injuries esp on the stunt tracks etc.
    Olympians all wear then for their sports Cycling both road and indoor Canoeing, etc

17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I don't need to set an example to my kids,the dead lady did that for me. They just think I'm stupid for not wearing one. As for agreeing with a ban. See this, then read my post again. :Wink:

18. Gunner29

WHY

just WHY are people so against wearing a helmet???
    Don't see many soldiers in Afghanistan without one>> As Peter said "Common sense"!!

19. lorger

lorger Funster

We have always worn ours since our daughter got her first bike, thought if she has to wear one so should we.

You are not allowed to cycle without a helmet on our site at work and you would be amazed at the amount of folk who wear their helmet from the plant to the gate and then take it off and hang it on their handle bars.

20. sedge

sedge Funster

Well - people said exactly the same in ?1960s when they made people wear helmets on motorbikes, and again thereeafter when they brought setabelts in for cars etc.

These days I find myself sitting down on a bus and looking for my seatbelt ..... and feel quite unsafe really unless there's a fatter person sitting on the aisle seat beside me!

Bradley Wiggins, who OK does go quite a lot faster than the vast majority - says bike helmets should be compulsory - and I would think he actually has a lot more experience of cycling on roads, again, than the vast majority of us !