Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If helmets are so damned good how come we have so many dead and terribly maimed soldiers ?

Put a helmet on him, he'll be safe.

Doesn't look like that to me.

I felt very safe when wearing mine!!!! didn't stop me getting blown up and shrapnel in the arm!!!!!The British issue helmet is designed to protect against shrapnel, blast and low velocity weapons. Those killed and maimed have mostly been by IED. I know of a couple of still alive soldiers who were saved by their helmet.
However that isn't the point we are debating here. I am in favour of compulsary helmets on bikes for under 16eens After that they can make their own decision

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How the hell can this "fashion accessory" protect you ?

cycle helmets are the most ridiculous designed item ever

Broken Link Removed

Pretty much the same with these......it aint going to stop a house brick falling 20ft onto your head.....or stay in place if falling off a scaffold. :Doh:

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I felt very safe when wearing mine!!!! didn't stop me getting blown up and shrapnel in the arm!!!!!The British issue helmet is designed to protect against shrapnel, blast and low velocity weapons. Those killed and maimed have mostly been by IED. I know of a couple of still alive soldiers who were saved by their helmet.
However that isn't the point we are debating here. I am in favour of compulsary helmets on bikes for under 16eens After that they can make their own decision

First of all respect, I admire your guts and do not mean any ill will to the military.

But you nicely replied exactly as I hoped someone would.

The whole point is people are getting evangelical and wishing to impose their narrow views on the majority. The mickey mouse polystyrene helmets protect such a small area they are of little use in the real world. My wife fell off her bike and broke her collar bone, was that because of no helmet ? Either go the whole hog and demand body armour as worn by most bikers, me included most of the time, or stop meddling in other people's lives.

Should we insist for kids, well you could be right there with the problem the Mr Plod would have to stop every other kid and demand proof of age.

As for the military I am appalled at what I've read over the years, I'm presuming accuracy. Falklands, boots that leaked. More recent Land Rovers with as much protection as an egg box. Spy planes with leaking fuel system. Lack of body armour. Lack of choppers. Bad management. Many other things I forget right now. And god knows what had been kept sectret. And worst of all risking UK lives on futile foreign missions. It's totally wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Last paragraph

I agree with everything you say in your last paragraph Hilldweller. there is no common sence in procurement They never ask the end user but companies get paid milliions to develop and produce equipment that is past its use by the time it is introduced to the soldier on the front line.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They never ask the end user

I wish I had a pound for every time I've heard that in industry.

Them - Us

Add in greedy salesman and you've got disaster.

Make that medical or military and it becomes mega-disaster.

And if we look back to various government computer fiascos, usually paid to a company in Texas, same again.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
My bike helmet sat in a cupboard for years. Then we started training for a charity ride and were told it was compulsory on the day so we started wearing them to get used to the feeling.
I fell off very stupidly trying to get off one day on a slippery, wet surface. I already had one foot on the ground. :Blush: Fell backwards and bounced my head hard on the ground. I felt nothing because of the helmet but it would have been a hell of a crack without it. Since then I've worn it every time I'm on the bike. Actually I bought a new one because the old one wasn't a great fit and it had also had a hell of a bang which could have damaged it.
Sometimes these arguments turn into "always" statements that folk might feel they have to stick to for face saving.
Personally I would rather save by noggin.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
"Fell backwards and bounced my head hard on the ground. " You could just as easily have done this on the icy ground last winter. Should helmets be made compulsory for all once temperatures fall below zero?

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Not compulsory - that's not what I was saying. I simply meant that I was glad I had it on and therefore, quite naturally, have started to wear it regularly.
I think helmets when walking on ice aren't a bad idea either. If they became a common sight lots of people might choose to wear them.
Anything that only affects the health and safety of the individual should be a matter of choice for the individual in my opinion but other people's experiences might help the individual make their choice.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
sailing

Helmets may be introduced for anyone under instruction and learning to sail. Again H&S but as someone who has done a lot of off shore sailing and been whacked by the boom anything to protect youngers is in my mind a good idea.

I am still amazed at how many negative posts there are on here ref helmets.
IF you don't want to wear one then dont! ME? I will :thumb:end of my story!!!

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ericonabike

you said that you used to be a stalwart about helmets Do you wear one now?? and if not why?
I AM not saying make helmets compulsary for everyone ONLY under 16!!!!!!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'm just spending some time, with a bike, in Belgium and France. Lots of cyclists of all kinds. It seems to me that the majority don't wer helmets, but those who are racing or going "beyond the average" do. It would be a shame for people to be put off a great sport because of over regulation. I don't generally wear a helmet but I do have one and would put it on if outside my comfort zone.
I remember reading an Australian report that suggested that [HI]wearing a blond wig was safer than wearing a helmet. At least on a bike.[/HI]

Oooh, bit dodgy that could end up with a sore bum:Eeek:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i remember when they started to become the in thing, we used to cycle to the stables wearing our riding hats but youngest daughter wanted the proper thing so offt we jolly well went to the cycle shop and he actually told daughter she was safer wearing her riding hat than what she would be wearing a cycle helmet in the event of an accident. Saved me a few pounds and made daughter happier to keep using her riding hat on her bike.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
at least it was a hat!

yes a riding hat/helmet has a lot more protection than a cycle one - thats why they are called 'scull caps' by those of us that use them as they give the head all round protection within reason without hindering your vision of your surroundings and they have to withstand a possible accidental kick off a horses hoof.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back