Custom roll-formed aluminium panel (2 Viewers)

Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Our Clou needs a strengthening panel - around 2.2m x 30cm - across an unsupported lateral joint in the roof between a weak fibreglass sandwich section of roof and the original solid aluminium sandwich roof. Movement of the fibreglass section is causing repeated leaks exacerbated by a heavy solar panel on the fibreglass section.

I think the panel should be 2mm thick aluminium. The new section of roof is around 3mm lower than the original roof, so I'd like the panel to have a matching step-down along its length so that the bonds between the panel and roof are a similar thickness.

If the ledge in the strengthening panel is made by a press, I've been told it will take maybe an inch to drop down; I'd prefer to avoid that gap if possible to tie the two sections of roof tightly together. An alternative method of bending the panel is roll forming, which can be used to put a precise vertical ledge in the panel.

I've been trying to find a firm who can handle a small roll forming job like this, but no luck so far, so I'm hoping someone here can suggest a suitable firm, or has a better idea.

Otherwise I'll try pressing the ledge into the panel and hope it works.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I can see the issue if you want a 3mm 90° bend along the length and the suggestion of a 1" step makes sense if all they have is a press brake as opposed to a folder, but why not get the step down spread out over say a 30mm shallow rise, this would also look nicer and possibly be stronger ( some aluminium loves to stress crack around tighter bends ?)
90° bend
IMG_20240409_145413.jpg
IMG_20240409_145423.jpg

Shallow bend

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
Two on Tour jockaneezer Nice drawings! (y) Yes, your suggestion of a 30mm shallow rise is what the local shop thought they could do, not a 90° bend, or at least a steeper angle to minimise the gap, as that should strengthen the join and reduce shearing. But maybe it isn't much of an issue close to the join, as it's being flexed at the other side of the panel.

If a brake press can do a steeper angle that would be better - any thoughts on bendable aluminium?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If it is really only to seal the joint rather than any major structural use then maybe you could just use a strip of Easy Trim Lead R 300mm wide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
dunnah01 It's structural as the two sections of roof are simply butted together and taped over.

The weaker roof is also now carrying the 20+kg load of a large solar panel, which will be bouncing around a bit on uneven roads and its movement will be contributing to the repeated failures of the tape elsewhere.

Which of the two machines - press brake and folder - is better able to put a small ledge into a sheet?

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
jockaneezer Thanks very much, just got it now and replied. Your suggestion of Hutchinsons in Newark looks very good.

The bad weather over the last few days has been keeping me busy and away from my laptop. As there's no sign of it letting up, I took our Clou yesterday - first dry day for a while - to a nearby agricultural engineering firm with a good rep.

They have cleaned up the joint; luckily both roofs are flat and the step is level across the roof. The joint isn't quite a butt joint, but nearly, and there's quite a lot of movement under pressure. So we're going to try a 3mm aluminium strengthening plate with a small step - they have a folding press - and Sikaflex. Then retape around the rear section of the roof and hopefully it lasts.

I'll post some pictures in due course and try to remember to update with the outcome.

Thanks everybody! 🙏

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Is this poor design?
I’m surprised for such a quality van, what year is it?
Its a poorly done repair, forcreasons unknown somebody has let in a piece of fibreglass insulated panel but not strengthened or sealed it very well, luckily the absence of structural wood means it shouldn't cause a longvterm problem but it could do with being improved. The Front panel is also unlike any Clou I've ever seen before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Its a poorly done repair, forcreasons unknown somebody has let in a piece of fibreglass insulated panel but not strengthened or sealed it very well, luckily the absence of structural wood means it shouldn't cause a longvterm problem but it could do with being improved. The Front panel is also unlike any Clou I've ever seen before.
You have the advantage over me Jon, there’s no photos on this thread?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You have the advantage over me Jon, there’s no photos on this thread?
Tbf Paul a photo wouldn't really show much. Would love to know a bit more of the history of it. It was much discussed as a " Is it a bargain" question when it was on mobile.de. its gold in colour with a front that is somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd Clou liners and very green leather seats, comes together quite well when you see it in the flesh though.

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
It's a good-looking Franken-Clou bought on the rebound from a well-equipped Flair which didn't work out!

jongood Bronze if you don't mind, and I like to think it's had a facelift. Photos don't do it justice...

IMG_20230813_194419.jpg

It was registered in 2001 but it's a 2000 Clou L800E, which I think was the 2nd version. Note the drop in the roof which means a single floor rather than double and I think a smaller space for tanks.

CazPaul My original thread is here: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/your-thoughts-on-a-2001-clou-800e.205405/ and you offered me some advice about leaky sills.

The Polish shop that we bought it from renovated it from a write-off. Crash damage on the driver's side front, hence the rebuild. The Man chassis is good, but some of their workmanship was not, electrics... all twisted wires and a mis-connection which was shorting the batteries when you switched one light on. Over the last few years we've tackled most of the problems, and upgraded kit, with a great deal of help and advice from everyone here, in particular Jon, and I think it's in pretty good shape now.

Apart from the roof - no idea why it was replaced but must have been something serious to cut out so much of the rear and rebuild it. Once this is fixed, and the control panel is back, I think that should be the last of the big issues.

It's very comfortable, and we're hoping next winter to finally get away on a long ski trip around January.

OP
OP
John Russell
Feb 18, 2019
East Anglia, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner 2001
Exp
There's a 3mm drop all the way round, so I'd rather have put smaller panels on the other three sides, but it was too late when I got the story.

Possibly the fibreglass roof panel has been sliding around and that's what's damaged the tape on opposite corners, which suggests rotation.

One side may be enough to hold it down.

Here are some pics...

Cleaned
image0-01.jpeg

Sealing the reinforcing panel
20240415_123652.jpg

Reinforcing panel - folding looks neat
image2 (1).jpeg

Sealed
image1.jpeg

Taped
image8.jpeg