CUMBRIA-Ravenglass up Hard Knot Pass ??

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by davidallan, Feb 22, 2011.

1. davidallan

davidallan Funster

ADVICE....Is it OK to try and negotiate this route from Ravenglass to Ambleside via the
    "Hard Knot Pass"....some 30+ years since last up there [Shame on us]:Blush:...OR should we alter our plans to come FROM Ambleside down to Ravenglass .....?? [Engine braking comes to mind & slowly does it ]

PS We shall have the 'TOAD' behind us !

Thanks for all help...

2. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Not a chance in a motorhome you'll end up being rescued.:Eek!:

I stayed in Ravenglass a couple of years back in the Rv and did this road on a motorbike and that was difficult, there were cars getting stuck and going back for a second run.
    If you want to do it use the toad and leave the motorhome at the campsite. :thumb:

3. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

It's a while since I've been up there, but FROM Ambleside is surely something like a 1 in 4 incline, and tight bends. I'd say that would be extremely hard going even without towing something behind you. And if you have a front wheel drive m/h, forget it.

But someone who knows the area better will be along any time soon.............

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

:thumbdown:Think I would leave the m/h at the bottom & enjoy a return trip over the pass in the toad........you wouldn't be very popular if you got stuck on the hairpin bends

5. Ian Barry

Ian Barry Read Only Funster

Hardknott Pass

I am a local. In a word keep away with your MH the pass would be difficult enough but also bear in mind that the roads leading up to and away from the pass have not progressed much from the horse and cart days, narrow and winding ! I dont even go over in a car now.

6. buttons

buttons Funster

Sorry to be a rebel but I take my van over Rhino and Hardknot every year both ways:driving2: but it is slightly smaller than some on here.:Wink:
    I definitely wouldn't recommend attempting it anything bigger though especially if the road is wet. :rain:
    Yes I should alter your plans......opp5 With a toad......:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

I would say definately not with a toad.

We have struggled on a motorbike two up, not because of us but other road users that stop abruptly or those that think you can reverse down a hill and get going again.

Plus the potholes just where you want to do a tight turn, on a motorcycle is a no, no.

So if youre vehicle is long,even longer with a toad then you might even burn out your clutch.

I am no expert, but my husband has done this pass a few times in the past. We met two motorcyclist that had come off on the first bend.

Pat

8. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

Narrow and small

Lynne has just showed me the road that you are talking of on google maps.
    Looking at it there is obvious why the other posters have said no way with motorhome, BUT
    I am now wanting to go and do it myself, but will be in my landrover!!
    Does look as if it would be a fantastic drive with wonderful scenery, although looking at the amount of people stopped on the side of the road being sick caught on camara is concerning.

Just found this....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0NnZGK4LqE[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  9. BionicPixie

BionicPixie Read Only Funster

no way, not on a good day, not on a bad day in fact not on any day with a 'Y' in it...... would it be considered in anything like a motorhome.

I have driven it in several vehicles and each time i vow it will be the last but end up taking someone else along!!!! Volvo estate .... too long! Opel Vectra... too fast! best version was the Nissan Micra! we have driven out cars for people who got so scared with one side they could not face the other! and seen so many people throwing up at the side of the road. ...
    and now I have to go there again as Upmarkethippy has never been Oh deep joy! but at last a proper vehicle ... the Land Rover!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ys1pgUUTog&feature=fvsr[/ame] this is one of the better images of the road .... it is tight and steep and should never be underestimated.

10. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Always enjoy the drive over Hardknott in the Landy.:thumb: Wouldn't consider it with the motorhome. Having 6 low ratio gears comes in handy for towing those that don't make it. Cheyne will be in his element and can probably raise a lot more for the air ambulance if he goes on a holiday weekend.:RollEyes:

11. golly

golly Funster

put Hardknott Pass, Eskdale, Cumbria into Google maps then go to street view. Looks great but follow the road on street view and see the state of it:Eeek: Scary

John

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i think that bike video link says it all......NO !

once, in a moment of shear madness/stupidity, i attempted 'the struggle' (A592) from ambleside to the kirkstone inn.

i did make it to the top, just, in a......Carioca 10 on a fiat 2ltr JTD base.

why ? cos it was there, but i knew the road and i was stupid :Doh::Blush:....never again !

once you get on these pass's you have no chance to turn round even if the going gets too much....which it will on hardknot and wrynose and whinlatter pass's in particular.

thumbnails are top and bottom of 'the struggle'.

Attached Files:

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Bloody hell David ! :Eeek::Eek!::Doh:

just re-read your post.....

PS We shall have the 'TOAD' behind us ! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

men in white coats are coming for you......you'll NEVER, EVER make it !!!!!!!! not even half way !

14. sedge

sedge Funster

Been up the Kirkstone from Bowness end for coffee at the pub - on the pillion of a motorbike. Was a bit scared in case we met anything really because the drystone walls are a bit unforgiving on flesh and plastic!

15. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Many of the passes in the lakes have a 6ft 6 restriction anyway so it would also be illegal.

Its the long way round im afraid!

16. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

I have just returned from the Lakes, and as the wife comes from there she wanted to see a bit of it and relive some of her childhood. "I`d like to go to Buttermere" she said. Ok, says I and off we went. The roads from Workington over to Buttermere were a tad narrow and winding but manageable with mine and other drivers patience. When we decided to head south and needed to get across to Keswick, silly sod here thinks he might go via Honister Pass. We reached the bottom sign that said `Warning-Ice`, went up to the 6`6" sign and decided it was foolhardy to continue.:RollEyes:
    I did the Hard Knot and Wrynose as a passenger in a Mk 1 XR2 many years ago. The thought of attempting it in a motorhome, with a toad!, :shout::Eeek::shout:

17. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

I don't think that the average motorhome should try it especially with a toad - but as for car drivers - can I ask please, what is covering the road surface?

To me, it looks like tarmac, tons and tons and tons of it.

So how did the tarmac get there - on the back of donkeys?

No, of course not, it was delivered by lorries and laid by heavy machinery and rolled flat by great (probably) steam rollers, looking at the age of it.

Come on, where is your sense of adventure - Volvo estate too long, indeed - do you honestly think they don't have roads similar or worse than this in Sweden or elsewhere in the World?

Dick

18. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

This may give a hint to it's suitability with a large Motorhome :RollEyes:

[​IMG]

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

20. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

The last time I was over them I was part of a RAYNET (Radio Amateur Emergency Network) excercise.

There were 4 vintage cars tackling them. We were stationed at various point to warn other drivers that they may encounter these vehicles. Dodgy brakes!!!!

One was celibrating its 60 years since registration aniversary. The only vehicle that had a problem was one of our support vehicles an Astra van and it took 4 of us lying on its bonnet to get a grip on one of the summits, I can't remember which one.

John