Cruise Control V's Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Zigisla, May 6, 2016.

1. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

There are a few threads on here about cruise control and should I fit it etc. Many of the replies are positive and I have CC also. I am not a fan of CC because of my belief over how much it decreases fuel economy and with such a poor return already, I don't want to drop it even further.
    So my question is; Am I right to think it will decrease significantly so continue driving manually, or not that much or not at all, or just man up and lump the loss for the ease of driving? - until you get to yet another UK hilly motorway or the A34(n)
    All replies from noncombatants welcome as always.(y)

2. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

My view is that fuel economy is improved with cruise control - I know some will not agree with that but that is my experience.

Dave

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Of course if in our driving style we mimic the CC we wont see any difference. In my experience, esp on those long runs South on empty flat motorways CC most definitely improves MPG in as much as its difficult to maintain those speeds, well for me at least, as I tend to creep slightly up or down the speedo when not focussing on it. Leaving it on when travelling most anywhere other than long flat drives and it will probably cost you, especially if you have one like mine that no matter what the conditions will aggressively try to maintain speed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. etap

etap Funster

I have tried all I know over the past years to try and find a speed that is likely to give best mpg results, cruise control does help on the flat but cannot anticipate hills so up mpg goes, driving slower doesn't help much as sometimes driving faster is better, so 99%of the time I use manual not cc and light touch always on the accelerator.
    Whether in the long term the effort is worth the saving is questionable as being careful as opposed to not being careful only saves max of 2 mpg, at least that's my half an answer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yep - cruise control isn't smart enough to figure out when you are on a hill. I only use it when the road is relatively flat and traffic is light. Regard it more as a convenience device rather than a money saver

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Mine seems slightly better using cc. I think this is because I set it slower than I would probably drive on mways and dual carriageways. Therefore getting a little better mpg. I set mine around 62 mph. Just fast enough to pass the trucks nicely but not so fast as to be really reving the engine. So far it seems to work. All the trucks I have driven recently have cc fitted and the manufacturers recommend using it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

CC is only meant to be used when the right conditions prevail, ie, flatish roads, not too bendy. I use mine all the time, would not have a van without it. MPG is not important to me but it certainly is the same if not better.
    Phil

• Like Like x 2
  8. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

I love my CC fitted by Dave Newell, perfect for motorway and dual carriage ways, yes it's not smart enough to see hills coming, that where your suppose to anticipate and take over before your revs do. On those lovely long French motorways CC is great. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The only way CC reduces mpg is that it cannot employ a decent hill-climbing economy technique (hitting them at a slightly higher speed then progressively backing off at the summit to save a downchange). Even with it on the driver can increase speed on the approach to a hill without upsetting it but cannot back off near the summit. I use it and tend to assume that any hill-climbing economy penalty is offset by the instant backing off if speed rises as the van crests the hill - something that the driver will regularly fail to do until the speed increase is noticed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. buttons

buttons Funster

The benefits of cruise control far out strip any worries about fuel consumption. A list of benefits make it really worthwhile so forget about any changes to fuel usage and enjoy the many benefits of driving in cruise. You sound like someone who wont use your A/C because that will use a bit more fuel too.;):)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Cc on long stretches, in particular with speed enforcement! I use it on 30mph long stretches as well.
    Hilly, roll down them and gain fuel efficiency and then back to cruising speed back up the other side.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I don't care if it costs a few pence more, if I was worried about a few pints of diesel every trip I would never at great cost have bought a motorhome.

I like cruise control , makes for a more relaxed journey as does auto.

• Like Like x 7
  13. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Exactly my philosophy with every vehicle (y)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Cannot see a LIST of benifits either. Maintain a constant speed is one and only if on European roads as UK far too hilly so keep having to dis-engage or too much traffic so again constant dis-engaging.
    A/C not used as MH bought in Dec. ;)

15. Larby

Larby Funster

What about cruise control with the automatic gearbox? Then hills just cause a change to the right gear?
    Have CC on MH but can't bear to hear engine labour in high gear so have to intervene. Had CC on cars but living around here meant too much variation in speeds so always having to switch back in.
    Did like the speed limiter function though.....

• Like Like x 2
  16. buttons

buttons Funster

You have a bit to learn about using cruise Zigisla, I regularly use it in long 30 and 40 MPH roads, you can set and then watch the road rather than the speedo knowing your license is safe. When it is hilly leave it in cruise but use your throttle as well to take your speed above the set point on the way down then slowly ease it off until the cruise takes over again. If the road gets too congested then just touch the pause button then as soon as the road clears just touch resume and you will be back at the speed that was previously set.
    We have so many 50 mph limits on motorways now that cruise is a necessity on all vehicles.
    Need I continue........(y):)

• Like Like x 2
  17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I'm not a fan of it with a manual vehicle, unless as others have said the road is long, flat and straight. The van came with it as standard but I rarely use it.

I do use it all the time on my cars, which are automatic, though. I find it definitely improves mpg.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Use my CC nearly all the time fuel economy is irrelevant compared to the price of the vehicle.
    At the end of the day it doesn't make much odds to fuel consuption. It actually uses a lot more fuel as it floors the throttle every time you come to hill but that is compensated because I tend to drive slower with CC on as without it speed gradually creeps up.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

When and if I do use it, it as you have descibed above but it doesn't form part of my natural driving routine, so maybe I'll give it a go this weekend on all roads - when I remember, and see if it makes driving a "better" experience. Then I maybe a CC convert and s0d the extra fuel if it does make a diference.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Having driven up to Scotland this week all the motorway stretch was done with cc on, I did turn it off on a couple of hills to check the engine wasn't labouring but when I put my foot to the floor speed increased so my motorhome doesn't seem to labour up the hills.
    Motorhome is a Hobby on a 2.4 Ford Tranny and has averaged 30 mpg on this holiday up to now.
    It has already been said on here that you don't spend thousands on a motorhome to sit looking at the fuel gauge.:)

• Like Like x 2