Cruise Control V's Fuel Economy (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
There are a few threads on here about cruise control and should I fit it etc. Many of the replies are positive and I have CC also. I am not a fan of CC because of my belief over how much it decreases fuel economy and with such a poor return already, I don't want to drop it even further.
So my question is; Am I right to think it will decrease significantly so continue driving manually, or not that much or not at all, or just man up and lump the loss for the ease of driving? - until you get to yet another UK hilly motorway or the A34(n)
All replies from noncombatants welcome as always.(y)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
My view is that fuel economy is improved with cruise control - I know some will not agree with that but that is my experience.

Dave

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Of course if in our driving style we mimic the CC we wont see any difference. In my experience, esp on those long runs South on empty flat motorways CC most definitely improves MPG in as much as its difficult to maintain those speeds, well for me at least, as I tend to creep slightly up or down the speedo when not focussing on it. Leaving it on when travelling most anywhere other than long flat drives and it will probably cost you, especially if you have one like mine that no matter what the conditions will aggressively try to maintain speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I have tried all I know over the past years to try and find a speed that is likely to give best mpg results, cruise control does help on the flat but cannot anticipate hills so up mpg goes, driving slower doesn't help much as sometimes driving faster is better, so 99%of the time I use manual not cc and light touch always on the accelerator.
Whether in the long term the effort is worth the saving is questionable as being careful as opposed to not being careful only saves max of 2 mpg, at least that's my half an answer.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Of course if in our driving style we mimic the CC we wont see any difference. In my experience, esp on those long runs South on empty flat motorways CC most definitely improves MPG in as much as its difficult to maintain those speeds, well for me at least, as I tend to creep slightly up or down the speedo when not focussing on it. Leaving it on when travelling most anywhere other than long flat drives and it will probably cost you, especially if you have one like mine that no matter what the conditions will aggressively try to maintain speed.
Yep - cruise control isn't smart enough to figure out when you are on a hill. I only use it when the road is relatively flat and traffic is light. Regard it more as a convenience device rather than a money saver

Reactions: Jim

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Mine seems slightly better using cc. I think this is because I set it slower than I would probably drive on mways and dual carriageways. Therefore getting a little better mpg. I set mine around 62 mph. Just fast enough to pass the trucks nicely but not so fast as to be really reving the engine. So far it seems to work. All the trucks I have driven recently have cc fitted and the manufacturers recommend using it.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I love my CC fitted by Dave Newell, perfect for motorway and dual carriage ways, yes it's not smart enough to see hills coming, that where your suppose to anticipate and take over before your revs do. On those lovely long French motorways CC is great. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only way CC reduces mpg is that it cannot employ a decent hill-climbing economy technique (hitting them at a slightly higher speed then progressively backing off at the summit to save a downchange). Even with it on the driver can increase speed on the approach to a hill without upsetting it but cannot back off near the summit. I use it and tend to assume that any hill-climbing economy penalty is offset by the instant backing off if speed rises as the van crests the hill - something that the driver will regularly fail to do until the speed increase is noticed.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The benefits of cruise control far out strip any worries about fuel consumption. A list of benefits make it really worthwhile so forget about any changes to fuel usage and enjoy the many benefits of driving in cruise. You sound like someone who wont use your A/C because that will use a bit more fuel too.;):)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Cc on long stretches, in particular with speed enforcement! I use it on 30mph long stretches as well.
Hilly, roll down them and gain fuel efficiency and then back to cruising speed back up the other side.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don't care if it costs a few pence more, if I was worried about a few pints of diesel every trip I would never at great cost have bought a motorhome.

I like cruise control , makes for a more relaxed journey as does auto.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't care if it costs a few pence more, if I was worried about a few pints of diesel every trip I would never at great cost have bought a motorhome.

I like cruise control , makes for a more relaxed journey as does auto.
Exactly my philosophy with every vehicle (y)

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
The benefits of cruise control far out strip any worries about fuel consumption. A list of benefits make it really worthwhile so forget about any changes to fuel usage and enjoy the many benefits of driving in cruise. You sound like someone who wont use your A/C because that will use a bit more fuel too.;):)
Cannot see a LIST of benifits either. Maintain a constant speed is one and only if on European roads as UK far too hilly so keep having to dis-engage or too much traffic so again constant dis-engaging.
A/C not used as MH bought in Dec. ;)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
What about cruise control with the automatic gearbox? Then hills just cause a change to the right gear?
Have CC on MH but can't bear to hear engine labour in high gear so have to intervene. Had CC on cars but living around here meant too much variation in speeds so always having to switch back in.
Did like the speed limiter function though.....

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Cannot see a LIST of benifits either. Maintain a constant speed is one and only if on European roads as UK far too hilly so keep having to dis-engage or too much traffic so again constant dis-engaging.
A/C not used as MH bought in Dec. ;)
You have a bit to learn about using cruise Zigisla, I regularly use it in long 30 and 40 MPH roads, you can set and then watch the road rather than the speedo knowing your license is safe. When it is hilly leave it in cruise but use your throttle as well to take your speed above the set point on the way down then slowly ease it off until the cruise takes over again. If the road gets too congested then just touch the pause button then as soon as the road clears just touch resume and you will be back at the speed that was previously set.
We have so many 50 mph limits on motorways now that cruise is a necessity on all vehicles.
Need I continue........(y):)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm not a fan of it with a manual vehicle, unless as others have said the road is long, flat and straight. The van came with it as standard but I rarely use it.

I do use it all the time on my cars, which are automatic, though. I find it definitely improves mpg.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Use my CC nearly all the time fuel economy is irrelevant compared to the price of the vehicle.
At the end of the day it doesn't make much odds to fuel consuption. It actually uses a lot more fuel as it floors the throttle every time you come to hill but that is compensated because I tend to drive slower with CC on as without it speed gradually creeps up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
You have a bit to learn about using cruise Zigisla, I regularly use it in long 30 and 40 MPH roads, you can set and then watch the road rather than the speedo knowing your license is safe. When it is hilly leave it in cruise but use your throttle as well to take your speed above the set point on the way down then slowly ease it off until the cruise takes over again. If the road gets too congested then just touch the pause button then as soon as the road clears just touch resume and you will be back at the speed that was previously set.
We have so many 50 mph limits on motorways now that cruise is a necessity on all vehicles.
Need I continue........(y):)
When and if I do use it, it as you have descibed above but it doesn't form part of my natural driving routine, so maybe I'll give it a go this weekend on all roads - when I remember, and see if it makes driving a "better" experience. Then I maybe a CC convert and s0d the extra fuel if it does make a diference.(y)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Having driven up to Scotland this week all the motorway stretch was done with cc on, I did turn it off on a couple of hills to check the engine wasn't labouring but when I put my foot to the floor speed increased so my motorhome doesn't seem to labour up the hills.
Motorhome is a Hobby on a 2.4 Ford Tranny and has averaged 30 mpg on this holiday up to now.
It has already been said on here that you don't spend thousands on a motorhome to sit looking at the fuel gauge.:)

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I had cruise control on my previous Mercedes based vans, but my latest second hand van was not fitted with it.

I saw on Ebay a company in Hull, that would retrofit a genuine MB cruise control for under £300. This required a round trip of 400+ miles. However I decided to go for it, about three quarters of the way there my ankle began to ache.

The return journey was much more pleasant and there was no real difference in fuel consumption, as a previous poster has said all you need to do is anticipate the hills and speed up a bit before you get there.

Andrew

I

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just a thought. I recently changed my car and the new car has a speed limiter, cruise control is an option as the manufacturer considers that the limiter is safer than cruise. I used to use cruise mainly in 30, 40 and 50mph limits, rarely anywhere else.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
You would look at the fuel guage if you only get 18 - 20 mpg so anything that does help will be considered.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just a thought. I recently changed my car and the new car has a speed limiter, cruise control is an option as the manufacturer considers that the limiter is safer than cruise. I used to use cruise mainly in 30, 40 and 50mph limits, rarely anywhere else.
My previous three cars had the speed limiter on the same stalk as the CC (MB) and it was very good going through ave speed cam areas to guarantee I didn't drift over the limit. The current vehicle has a separate on/off button for the limiter but uses the same scroll wheel on the steering. It works well but the MB system was so much better

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Sadly not for me prefer to being in control ,i always find using CC takes too much control away from ,when i feel i need to reduce speed at junctions ,bends ect .When driving we all anticipate what the driver in the front or coming up the rear is going to do and with my foot on the accelerator ,again feel i am ready to react quickly. Like all of us i have done long stretches in Europe ect and always been comfortable with my foot on pedal.I know lots swear by then and to them i say enjoy.lol

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have speed limiter, cruise control and automatic gear box on our car. We use all of it every time we drive and it does make for a lovely driving experience. Just need automatic pilot now and trips will be a doddle. Winnie ( MH ) only has an automatic gear box and is so ancient it's not worth spending too much on her. Makes a huge difference in the comfort of driving stakes though. :D

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would suggest choosing a slower cruising speed would be of more benefit than whether to use CC or not.
I cruise at around 2000rpm where the max torque and max MPG is (2.3 Fiat 130Hp). This is around 58 - 60 MPH. just fast enough to discourage the trucks from overtaking.
On flatish roads, with CC, it often returns 34 MPG.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’m an advocate of the speed limiter (where it is an extension of CC). Only the very latest CC anticipate hills and sharp bends, via GPS, and none that I’m aware of are fitted to motorhomes.

In my view the Merc speed limiter is the best (except that I’m unable to switch between KPH & MPH). A speed limiter leaves you in control but saves you from exceeding the limit. Much better in towns and places where it’s congested.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back