Credit Card Con

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Fragle, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Hi all. Just been reading the latest con regarding free to use credit cards when abroad.
    It happened to us last week in a major French supermarket. When paying with our clarity card we were asked to choose euros or sterling. Advice is choose euros. Otherwise you agree to up to 4% transaction fee. Robbing buggers. The article was in the Daily Mail but surprisingly is true. Don't get caught out please.(y)

• Like Like x 2
  2. jumar

jumar Funster

Good info this.
    Will help newcomers with their euro travels/spending.
    Also applies to cashpoint withdrawals at some banks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Best advice: Don't go near France. If your going to get robbed, get robbed in Skeggy, or Weston, or even, (if your forced to), in Scotland. :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Good advice NEVER choose to pay by Sterling when abroad, if they're offering this "service", then it's for a reason ;)

Auchen at Calais always offer the choice, hoping you'll choose a "familiar currency" they hope that it sort of makes you feel comfortable using good old pound notes. :)

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You can't really say it's a con. I'm sure the Fail presented it as such but that's just them. There have always been transaction fees on the majority of cards used abroad. The Halifax Clarity card and the few others available that even give you a way of not being charged any fees are a fairly recent development and are the exception rather than the rule. The Clarity card is one of the better ones so wrong target I'm afraid. You would have been better off having a pop at your bank debit card or one of the major credit card providers that always charge a fee no matter what and give you a crap exchange rate on top of that.

• Like Like x 3
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

Better advice as has been in another thread today is get yourself a pre paid euro card, no fees anywhere.

7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We have them as well but the problem with them is that a lot of automated things like tolls and petrol pumps don't accept them.

8. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

The only issue is the exchange rate isnt quite as good, if clarity is 1.40 then caxton is likely to be 1.38....

I have a supercard which i tried in July, it worked in every cash point and gave me the visa rate of that day, so better value than caxton. only issue i had it was rejected from a couple of shops. didnt make sense as some accepted it and a couple did not. Can's say we need that much cash though as we use the clarity for most things and never has an issue with it.

I'll be using the supercard again in September so will report back. I am not going to top up my caxton this time and just rely on the supercard to get cash.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

10. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

On the same subject have anymore funsters made further use of the travlex cards .I had mine a while back and linked a card to it .But have not used it yet.
    Any advice... apart from don't go to Scotland ?:)

11. chaser

chaser Funster

Mine never appeared:(

12. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

I said please :D