Credit Card Con (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi all. Just been reading the latest con regarding free to use credit cards when abroad.
It happened to us last week in a major French supermarket. When paying with our clarity card we were asked to choose euros or sterling. Advice is choose euros. Otherwise you agree to up to 4% transaction fee. Robbing buggers. The article was in the Daily Mail but surprisingly is true. Don't get caught out please.(y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Good info this.
Will help newcomers with their euro travels/spending.
Also applies to cashpoint withdrawals at some banks.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Best advice: Don't go near France. If your going to get robbed, get robbed in Skeggy, or Weston, or even, (if your forced to), in Scotland. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Good advice NEVER choose to pay by Sterling when abroad, if they're offering this "service", then it's for a reason ;)

Auchen at Calais always offer the choice, hoping you'll choose a "familiar currency" they hope that it sort of makes you feel comfortable using good old pound notes. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can't really say it's a con. I'm sure the Fail presented it as such but that's just them. There have always been transaction fees on the majority of cards used abroad. The Halifax Clarity card and the few others available that even give you a way of not being charged any fees are a fairly recent development and are the exception rather than the rule. The Clarity card is one of the better ones so wrong target I'm afraid. You would have been better off having a pop at your bank debit card or one of the major credit card providers that always charge a fee no matter what and give you a crap exchange rate on top of that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Better advice as has been in another thread today is get yourself a pre paid euro card, no fees anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Better advice as has been in another thread today is get yourself a pre paid euro card, no fees anywhere.

We have them as well but the problem with them is that a lot of automated things like tolls and petrol pumps don't accept them.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
The only issue is the exchange rate isnt quite as good, if clarity is 1.40 then caxton is likely to be 1.38....

I have a supercard which i tried in July, it worked in every cash point and gave me the visa rate of that day, so better value than caxton. only issue i had it was rejected from a couple of shops. didnt make sense as some accepted it and a couple did not. Can's say we need that much cash though as we use the clarity for most things and never has an issue with it.

I'll be using the supercard again in September so will report back. I am not going to top up my caxton this time and just rely on the supercard to get cash.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
On the same subject have anymore funsters made further use of the travlex cards .I had mine a while back and linked a card to it .But have not used it yet.
Any advice... apart from don't go to Scotland ?:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back