County with worst roads?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by maz, Apr 15, 2014.

1. maz

maz Funster

Having returned to my ex-home county of Buckinghamshire, it shook me (literally!) just how bad the road surfaces are down here. :Sad:

I've been jolting around from pothole to pothole and trying to avoid road edge subsidence - and on fairly major roads too. Considering that Buckinghamshire is supposed to be one of the wealthier counties, they're obviously not spending their money on the roads. This year they can't even blame a harsh winter for causing the surfaces to fracture. However I have noticed a rash of new signs saying 'Failed Road Surface'. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The problem is that (here anyway) they've been patching the patches for years.

3. maz

maz Funster

And I always thought the Scottish roads were kept in better repair than the English ones. It seemed that way when I lived there. :Smile:

4. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

Isle of Wight.

Worst I have encountered, but I may be biased as I live here. :BigGrin:

5. tofo

tofo Funster

Think they use the ruts and holes

As cheep sleeping policeman

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Roads

Russian roads are shocking. :Doh:

7. maz

maz Funster

Nooooooo, don't get me started on 'traffic calming' road surface ruination as well. :RollEyes:

8. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

It's not only the potholes which are the problem. Loose stones from the holes also cause damage. I've just had a fog light broken, don't ask about stone chips. I bet the windscreen companies are rubbing their hands with glee.

9. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

:RollEyes:Worst has to be North Yorks. UNLESS it is a road on the Tour de France. All of these will be perfect. Chaos at present with road closures for re-surfacing
    Amazing how suddenly they find the money!:Angry:
    Bernie

• Like Like x 2
  10. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

Suffolk roads are pretty awful, seen in our village recently- a man picked up a handful of tarmac , tipped it into the pothole and just stamped it in with his foot and walked away!! needless to say the pothole returned just two days later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tofo

tofo Funster

Bet it 2-300 quids worth on a bill somewhere to the council

Civil engineering always uses silly figures

:thumb::RollEyes::thumb:

12. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

It's got to be Dumfries and Galloway for sure, it's bumpity bump and then smooth then more bumpity bump:Doh:

We were coming back home from Edinburgh and went over one almighty bump on the way into Moffat. Didn't stop to check what it was as there was someone behind, but the thump was really bad.

We always say we can tell when we're back in our region, don't know what the road taxes go on, but it's certainly not the roads. We did over a thousand miles on one trip the year before last, right down to Hampshire and back up and around the Dales. But none of those roads were as bad as they are round here:Angry:

Bill

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the big issue is that the roads were damaged by the frosts last year, which seperated the layers. water seeped into these layers, froze and started the problems we have now. some and i do mean some of the damage was repaired but not bonded to the lower surface

this year i have seen road crews doing repairs properly, by melting the surface at the bottom of the pothole before building up with hot tarmac, then rolling it flat. why they tried to do it cheap last year with cold patching tarmac, beats me. now its many time the expense to repair, plus more holes than usual

as for which county has the best roads, i am not sure, all i know is that rural roads are worse than urban. round here we had some flooding and the road edges are crumbling where theres no curb stones and gutters. another bad winter and many roads will need relaying, and not just patching

14. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Our government prefers to bomb arab countries rather than spend the money on roads.......:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  15. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

The roads in Cornwall are like patchwork quilts in many places. And they are narrow, and they have bushes and brambles very close to the roads. I just posted a thread about this very issue :/

So that is where my vote is going!

16. Dogeared

Dogeared Funster

Remember the song ,so many thousand pot hole in Blackburn. That's just our street!!!. Council have refilled the potholes four times in five years, still can't work out that if you fill holes that are full of water, with hard frosts due, for some reason the cr!p they put in the holes doesn't set.:Doh:

17. dryad

dryad Funster

having had to wait for a week to get my windscreen replaced, 'tis being done tomorrow, all because autoglass have been inundated with a massive amount of work, kent roads are a nightmare at the moment..
    remember the hopscotch game that a lot of us played as kids? driving around here is a little like that if you see what i mean..

18. maz

maz Funster

So it's not just Buckinghamshire then. I'd been in Shropshire and Worcestershire for quite a while - roads not noticeably bad there. :Smile:

19. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

Lincolnshire is not that good. We've had a large pothole at a crossroads for about three months now that everyone has to drive around to avoid.

We used to drive on the left of the road. Now we drive on what's left of the road .........

20. JJ

JJ Funster

I reckon the trouble is caused by all the motorhomes, weighed down with stuff bought at the shows (and electric toothbrushes), pounding along the roads looking for campsites...

The richer the county, the more motorhome owners it has.

Now where is the bloody paper part of my licence?

JJ :Cool: