maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Having returned to my ex-home county of Buckinghamshire, it shook me (literally!) just how bad the road surfaces are down here. :Sad:

I've been jolting around from pothole to pothole and trying to avoid road edge subsidence - and on fairly major roads too. Considering that Buckinghamshire is supposed to be one of the wealthier counties, they're obviously not spending their money on the roads. This year they can't even blame a harsh winter for causing the surfaces to fracture. However I have noticed a rash of new signs saying 'Failed Road Surface'. :RollEyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Having returned to my ex-home county of Buckinghamshire, it shook me (literally!) just how bad the road surfaces are down here. :Sad:

I've been jolting around from pothole to pothole and trying to avoid road edge subsidence - and on fairly major roads too. Considering that Buckinghamshire is supposed to be one of the wealthier counties, they're obviously not spending their money on the roads. This year they can't even blame a harsh winter for causing the surfaces to fracture. However I have noticed a rash of new signs saying 'Failed Road Surface'. :RollEyes:

The problem is that (here anyway) they've been patching the patches for years.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The problem is that (here anyway) they've been patching the patches for years.

And I always thought the Scottish roads were kept in better repair than the English ones. It seemed that way when I lived there. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Isle of Wight.

Worst I have encountered, but I may be biased as I live here. ::bigsmile:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
It's not only the potholes which are the problem. Loose stones from the holes also cause damage. I've just had a fog light broken, don't ask about stone chips. I bet the windscreen companies are rubbing their hands with glee.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
:RollEyes:Worst has to be North Yorks. UNLESS it is a road on the Tour de France. All of these will be perfect. Chaos at present with road closures for re-surfacing
Amazing how suddenly they find the money!:Angry:
Bernie

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Suffolk roads are pretty awful, seen in our village recently- a man picked up a handful of tarmac , tipped it into the pothole and just stamped it in with his foot and walked away!! needless to say the pothole returned just two days later.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Suffolk roads are pretty awful, seen in our village recently- a man picked up a handful of tarmac , tipped it into the pothole and just stamped it in with his foot and walked away!! needless to say the pothole returned just two days later.

Bet it 2-300 quids worth on a bill somewhere to the council

Civil engineering always uses silly figures

:thumb::RollEyes::thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
It's got to be Dumfries and Galloway for sure, it's bumpity bump and then smooth then more bumpity bump:Doh:

We were coming back home from Edinburgh and went over one almighty bump on the way into Moffat. Didn't stop to check what it was as there was someone behind, but the thump was really bad.

We always say we can tell when we're back in our region, don't know what the road taxes go on, but it's certainly not the roads. We did over a thousand miles on one trip the year before last, right down to Hampshire and back up and around the Dales. But none of those roads were as bad as they are round here:Angry:

Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the big issue is that the roads were damaged by the frosts last year, which seperated the layers. water seeped into these layers, froze and started the problems we have now. some and i do mean some of the damage was repaired but not bonded to the lower surface

this year i have seen road crews doing repairs properly, by melting the surface at the bottom of the pothole before building up with hot tarmac, then rolling it flat. why they tried to do it cheap last year with cold patching tarmac, beats me. now its many time the expense to repair, plus more holes than usual

as for which county has the best roads, i am not sure, all i know is that rural roads are worse than urban. round here we had some flooding and the road edges are crumbling where theres no curb stones and gutters. another bad winter and many roads will need relaying, and not just patching

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Our government prefers to bomb arab countries rather than spend the money on roads.......:Doh:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

The roads in Cornwall are like patchwork quilts in many places. And they are narrow, and they have bushes and brambles very close to the roads. I just posted a thread about this very issue :/

So that is where my vote is going!

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Remember the song ,so many thousand pot hole in Blackburn. That's just our street!!!. Council have refilled the potholes four times in five years, still can't work out that if you fill holes that are full of water, with hard frosts due, for some reason the cr!p they put in the holes doesn't set.:Doh:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
having had to wait for a week to get my windscreen replaced, 'tis being done tomorrow, all because autoglass have been inundated with a massive amount of work, kent roads are a nightmare at the moment..
remember the hopscotch game that a lot of us played as kids? driving around here is a little like that if you see what i mean..

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So it's not just Buckinghamshire then. I'd been in Shropshire and Worcestershire for quite a while - roads not noticeably bad there. :Smile:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Lincolnshire is not that good. We've had a large pothole at a crossroads for about three months now that everyone has to drive around to avoid.

We used to drive on the left of the road. Now we drive on what's left of the road .........

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I reckon the trouble is caused by all the motorhomes, weighed down with stuff bought at the shows (and electric toothbrushes), pounding along the roads looking for campsites...

The richer the county, the more motorhome owners it has.

Now where is the bloody paper part of my licence?

JJ :Cool:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Currently on French television: advert for new Citroen model ... shows close-up of wheel bumping up and down while the car body stays stable ... voiceover ends with (in French obviously) '... ideal for English roads'

:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back