Cost of running Alde heating comparison Gas or Electric (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say you can always leave your van with no heating /cost which is cheaper still The Alde system should have antifreeze in so come to no harm 😉

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don’t want to hijack your thread Steve but has anyone got/ used one of the small ceramic 500 w heaters ? Keep seeing lots of claims about them any good/ do they work as good as claimed ?
Could be a cheaper worthwhile investment for your van ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Don’t want to hijack your thread Steve but has anyone got/ used one of the small ceramic 500 w heaters ? Keep seeing lots of claims about them any good/ do they work as good as claimed ?
Could be a cheaper worthwhile investment for your van ?
It might be efficient but most forms of electric heating are. If you consume 500W of electricity the most it can produce is 500W of heat. The law of conservation of energy says it can neither be lost or created, it can only be converted from one form of energy to another form of energy. In this case electric power into heat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I get that 👍but you could run it for 2 hours for 34 p ish but no idea if the 500 w would heat the van enough hence anyone got one etc

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Ok guys got some sort of update for you I switched to Lpg on Friday morning with heating set @ 9.5 degrees this morning Wednesday the gas has changed over to the other 11kg bottle, so five full days for 22ltrs of Lpg =£17.60 @ 80p per ltr so quite pleased with that result our van is 8.25 mtrs 👍
Steve am I missing something, my lpg is costing 99.9p/l cost £22. For 5 days = £4.40/day. Not much less than leccy plus the cost / hassle of filling cylinders.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Steve am I missing something, my lpg is costing 99.9p/l cost £22. For 5 days = £4.40/day. Not much less than leccy plus the cost / hassle of filling cylinders.
Well I always just tend to fill up at Morrisons Spalding or Kings Lyn as mostly pass them on my way out or return,
but this exercise was not really about saving money, more of an observation and a bit of fun.
If it was about saving money I would have drained down the fresh water and blown out all pipes/taps/pumps and toilet valve, albeit a bit of a waste of time as the weather is forcast 17 degrees for Monday 🤣

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
At 99.9p per litre the lpg is still only costing 14.1p per kWh compared with electricity at 34p per kWh.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I get that 👍but you could run it for 2 hours for 34 p ish but no idea if the 500 w would heat the van enough hence anyone got one etc

I have a small one that has a variable setting up to 1800w, I tried it a low setting to heat up the room I’m in for the day and I found it was cheeper to run my air source heating for the whole house…

I think the small heater was using around 800w but it’s on constant whereas the main house heating switches off on thermostat..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Now who has a diesel heater to do a comparison 🤣🤣
me but it is 19º c out there today & without much sun so sorry i won't be turning it on:LOL:
155.76kWh divide by 10.96kWh per litre = 14.21 litres. Diesel At £1.72 x 14.21 = £24.42 which is more than the £17.60 spent on gas. Gas is still the winner. 😀
Not a lot in it here as lpg is dearer ,lots, in some places & diesel is dropping like a brick lately.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
At 99.9p per litre the lpg is still only costing 14.1p per kWh compared with electricity at 34p per kWh.
thats in theory, if you feel the heat out of the exhaust of my truma combi plus heat loss in the blown air piping I think I would be lucky to 40% efficient 35p per kWh. On one friends 40ft boat the pipe runs are so long the air is cold before it reaches the vents, he has since insulated the pipe work and this has made a massive difference to the efficiency of the heating.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My exhaust gives more heat than some of my vents, so an interesting claim.
Converters installations vary from very good to absolutely abissmal which will effect the overall efficency but the actual heaters efficency should be good. Pleased to say the installation is very good in our van.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
thats in theory, if you feel the heat out of the exhaust of my truma combi plus heat loss in the blown air piping I think I would be lucky to 40% efficient 35p per kWh. On one friends 40ft boat the pipe runs are so long the air is cold before it reaches the vents, he has since insulated the pipe work and this has made a massive difference to the efficiency of the heating.
In a motorhome heat losses from the blown air pipe work should be inside the vehicle and are helping to warm the internal structure, a bit like underfloor heating.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
You could donate it to help the disabled….😎

I’ll pm you my bank details….😉
That may be an issue, as I’m disabled it would mean me keeping the vast amounts of savings/monies that i’m expected to have to handle and i’m not so sure I will be able to cope with the unexpected waft of wealth coming my way.

I could do with not having to handle these devastating problems at my time of life if i’m honest, i’ve been recently looking into having a solar/battery system fitted to the house but been told the house is not positioned the correct way to take advantage of the sun.

I’ve appointed an architect and builder to quote me to have the house demolished and rebuilt 43dgs clockwise to combat the issue, these costings have come in at circa £750/800,000 so the .02p per kilowatt saving will pay for this in around 756 years.

Now that’s fine you might think, but if I do all this and fit the solar once the house is rebuilt, I then won’t be using any gas so saving nothing per kilowatt. I really don’t know which way to go and starting to think it might be a complete waste of time 😉

My mind might be clearer after a few christmas [S]pissups[/S] parties so wish me luck 🎅🎅🎅

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
At minus 4 degrees in the MH this morning, I did succumb by turning the gas heating on low. ;)
Two external lockers were jammed closed by ice, but with the rise in temperature from today's sun, one of them freed itself. Unfortunately, ice trapped at the bottom of the hab door, caused the rubber seal to become damaged when opened. :( The starter battery was showing 12.3v at 07.00hrs, after being on charge yesterday daytime, so a new one is on order. (y)

Bl@@dy weather. :( ................... ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
At minus 4 degrees in the MH this morning, I did succumb by turning the gas heating on low. ;)
Two external lockers were jammed closed by ice, but with the rise in temperature from today's sun, one of them freed itself. Unfortunately, ice trapped at the bottom of the hab door, caused the rubber seal to become damaged when opened. :( The starter battery was showing 12.3v at 07.00hrs, after being on charge yesterday daytime, so a new one is on order. (y)

Bl@@dy weather. :( ................... ;)

Cheers,

It is a good few years old now Jock as it was one of the first things I changed ;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
It is a good few years old now Jock as it was one of the first things I changed ;)
It has done well then Martin, and if it wasn't for the amount of solar up top, I think it would have died a death long ago. ;)

Cheers,

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
At the moment it would appear that our electric costs have increased around £5 per 24 hrs due to heating the van with electric,
but we are now trying Lpg although the outside temperature keeps fluctuatin.
Steve & Denise.

See images below. I did a very basic test today. Result as follows;
Alde 3020 HE. Heating only set at 22degrees, we used £2.50 and 7.15kWh in a little over 3 hours.
I'd hate to see what it would have been had we had the hot water on as well. I Would never believe it cost so much to run the Alde system. Incidentally, we only had the TV and 2 led lights in the kitchen on in the house during this time same period.

Attachments

• Start £.JPG
    Start £.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 13
  • End £.JPG
    End £.JPG
    394.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Start kWh.JPG
    Start kWh.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 15
  • End kWh.JPG
    End kWh.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Steve & Denise.

See images below. I did a very basic test today. Result as follows;
Alde 3020 HE. Heating only set at 22degrees, we used £2.50 and 7.15kWh in a little over 3 hours.
I'd hate to see what it would have been had we had the hot water on as well. I Would never believe it cost so much to run the Alde system. Incidentally, we only had the TV and 2 led lights in the kitchen on in the house during this time same period.
Yes any electric heating seems to use more than you would imagine 😳
It would also look like your 2nd post of less than £5 per day could be a little optimistic for your cottage 🤣👍

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yes any electric heating seems to use more than you would imagine 😳
It would also look like your 2nd post of less than £5 per day could be a little optimistic for your cottage 🤣👍
Agreed. You only have to look at the current price cap expressed in kWh rather than the mysterious “typical household” figures used by politicians and the media.
20B129B6-236E-4AC5-8010-D1DD73A6E973.jpeg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That’s got me thinking! should we look at going back to gas lighting 🤣🤣🤣
Aye Steve, those gas mantles don't half give out some heat as well as light. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back